panic attacks and other fun things!

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
i am fighting a panic attack...i had them for years after a major closed head injury....fancy word for major concussion....but i havent had one in years.....*knock on wood* do you know why we knock on wood.....indians...native not ghandi's....believe that the spirits of their ancestors lived in the surrounding trees and would knock on a tree for good luck and fortune....i need to really to doing things....so i feel guilty..i hate guilt...such a useless emote...i need to be in 3 or 4 places at one time...for the next forever....

pull up a chair for the pity party....

everything is just crashing in on me...today...yea right this minute...6:41 am...i must face life and sudden decisions...or go back to bed....you know my big fear is...if i go back to bed...i wont ever get back up....a friend of mine's mother did that....just went to bed one day and never got back out...the old south....

so now i am fighting it off...i feel the panic welling up...and have to literally swallow...and breath deeply....so easy to go over the edge and let the whole thing swept you up and take you away.....like mother fucking calgon....damn i digress..

for the years i had attacks...i rarely left the house...i didnt work...i didnt go out...i just waited for the attacks to come...i was having them about 5 to 8 times a day...crippling...i would drive somewhere with friends...get there and be unable to get out of the car....i was a fun date!

it is so easy to go from a fun loving person ...to a total hermit..i know that...i am one of the lucky ones...my doctor always told me the attacks would stop one day...he never cursed me with them for life...but when i feel this way...i start to panic

I went through a time where I had them too. My doc told me to immediately start exercising when I feel one coming on. Not too hard but do some situps, running in place, whatever you like.

Take care.

Do you ever get paranoid...

and think that someone is...

xotoxi-albums-pictures-2-picture831-dramatic-gopher.gif

FOLLOWING YOU???

A person I know well has them and the cause while unclear seems to be related to depression caused by inner ear trouble, a disease know as Meniere's. Once a symptom appears the panic starts. Xanax was the cure, and while it is addictive there may be something milder that would work too. Xanax calms the mind.

Warning: Do not take usmb recommended medicines without checking with your doctor or pharmacist. Keep out of reach of children. ;)

I had a few for a year or so after I got out of the Military. Never real bad I usually managed to control them with controlled breathing and putting myself in an enclosed space or corner with my eyes closed. They always had to do with crowds.

Bones, if you've had this for a while i won't bore you with all the 'fixes' out there, safe to say you should find what works for you....~S~

oooooooooo i still cant do crowds....but i cant do enclosed spaces either...exercise does help....when i get real bad i call da man...his voice helps...i took a shower..that is one of my safe things....i have safe things....

i love the gopher....and i am not paranoid...yet

Try EMDR therapy it really works. Go to a quiet place or lay in bed. Think of the thing causing trauma, anxiety, panic, disturbing memories, post traumatic stress and many other emotional problems. Dart your eyes side to side or with your hands pat your legs alternately. Basically you are trying to switch between the right & left sides of your brain to get them both processing the problem. It is kind of like self hypnosis. The thing you are thinking of will bring up other memories linked to that. It may even take you back to child-hood. Just keep processing those thoughts. You will know it was successful if you get extremely tired afterwords. You may take care of the problem in one try or you can do this every so often when this problem gets to you. Finally it will permanently resolve itself.

Last edited:
Bones, have you tried taking a few hits of decent weed when you feel it comming on?

just askin'.....

~S~

Hang in there Ms. Bones.

Talking about it (or typing about it) is always good, let it out.

I have a job with some violent threat (just about two hours ago I had to, by myself, drive three men injecting some drug out of building grounds for instance) and I was in the military for over a decade in some stressful training and assignments, including war, but I never had or have panic attacks in those situations but believe it or not after a period of unemployment when I started going to job interviews I started having them.

Nothing I said to myself worked, no matter how I tried to reason them away it would not work.

Even getting sloshed would not drive them away.

Control your breathing, exercise when you can and remember it will pass.

You are not alone.

Last edited:
Or conversely picture the panic attack as a fat leprechaun with a small dick and laugh at him until he goes away.

I am so with you, Bones. Those damned panic attacks are debilitating for sure. Haven't had any in some years now, but there seemed to be some subconscious underlying bad memory or experience that triggered them for me.

Hang in. Find a nice quiet and peaceful place. Try to relax and still your soul.

I had the bastard things in my 30s, one of them was when I was north of Boston, no joke, I remember it vividly, had to get up and go and fill the rental car with petrol (gasoline) just to try and get some sense back into my head. First time I'd run into that thing where you have to pay for the fuel first and the bloke behind the glass can't hear you and the bloody accent gets in the way.

You look back afterwards and you think, jeez what a fool, but I tell you at the time it happens you crap yourself. JW similar with me, I've been in a few life-threateners but only really crapped myself later but those damn panic attacks, they were worse than actually facing someone about to try and do something bad to me.

Bones - it will pass, nothing bad will happen.

Forum List

Back