Palestinians to form unity government

Eloy

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2016
European Union
"The main Palestinian parties today announced a deal to form a national unity government prior to the holding of elections, after three days of reconciliation talks in Moscow."
Palestinian parties agree to form unity government
They have tried it before and failed. Will it work this time?
One of the weaknesses of the Palestinians in getting serious about having a state has been their inability to show that they can make it work. Perhaps the Paris summit on Sunday where over 70 nations urged Israel and Palestine to enact a two-state solution based on the 1967 borders are seeing this as a last chance before Israel becomes a one-state apartheid country annexing the Occupied Territories as it has done with East Jerusalem.

If Abbas wanted a peaceful end to the conflict, a two-state solution and a prosperous future next to Israel, he would never even suggest a unity government, let alone actually hold conversations with Hamas. How is Gaza/Hamas going to be anything but a chain around his neck when it comes to peace and prosperity? Why would he want to bring ISIS-connected terrorists into his sphere of control when he can barely control his own population? (Not that he wants to).

If I were him, I would do the opposite. Make nice to Israel, Jordan and Egypt and use all of them to assist him to make Hamas go away. And then ask those allies and the world community to make nice, grand hotels on all the pretty beaches.

"Pal'istanians to form unity government."

Its about time. Put those fine folks in a room together and wait for gunfire and explosions to sort things out.

If Abbas wanted a peaceful end to the conflict, a two-state solution and a prosperous future next to Israel, he would never even suggest a unity government, let alone actually hold conversations with Hamas. How is Gaza/Hamas going to be anything but a chain around his neck when it comes to peace and prosperity? Why would he want to bring ISIS-connected terrorists into his sphere of control when he can barely control his own population? (Not that he wants to).

If I were him, I would do the opposite. Make nice to Israel, Jordan and Egypt and use all of them to assist him to make Hamas go away. And then ask those allies and the world community to make nice, grand hotels on all the pretty beaches.

Actually, the West Bank does not align with the Med. Sea. But I get you. The West Bank is rich in history and religious significance, and alot of grand hotels could be built to accommodate all the tourists.

Actually, the West Bank does not align with the Med. Sea. But I get you. The West Bank is rich in history and religious significance, and alot of grand hotels could be built to accommodate all the tourists.

Yes, I'm aware of the geography. My point was for Abbas to take over Gaza after Hamas was ousted with the help of Israel Jordan and Egypt. And since the world likes helping Gaza so much, I'm sure they would offer to finance a few hotels. If Abbas capitalized on that I think Gaza could be quite a nice economic boost for him.

The raison d'etre for a Palestinian unity government make a state more workable. Hamas were elected by the people of Gaza in free and fair elections. Unity in the service of a successful state is a virtue. Gaza is under a choking blockade and the people there are subjected massacre of infants, toddlers, children and civilians as well as life that is barely subsistent. No one has been their champions except Hamas which had a number done on it by Israel and Friends of Israel in western governments who hardly open their mouths in criticism of Israeli state terrorism.

The raison d'etre for a Palestinian unity government make a state more workable. Hamas were elected by the people of Gaza in free and fair elections. Unity in the service of a successful state is a virtue. Gaza is under a choking blockade and the people there are subjected massacre of infants, toddlers, children and civilians as well as life that is barely subsistent. No one has been their champions except Hamas which had a number done on it by Israel and Friends of Israel in western governments who hardly open their mouths in criticism of Israeli state terrorism.

Hitler was the only person that came to the aid of the poverty wrecked Germans after WWI...that doesn't remove the fact that he was one of the most evil man ever born and created far more destruction and burden on the German people than simple poverty.

Hitler was the only person that came to the aid of the poverty wrecked Germans after WWI...that doesn't remove the fact that he was one of the most evil man ever born and created far more destruction and burden on the German people than simple poverty.
How smug of you to suggest that Palestinians should be satisfied with "simple poverty".

How smug of you to suggest that Palestinians should be satisfied with "simple poverty".

Really? Is that all you could glean from what I said? Nothing about why no one else in the entire region gives one rats ass about Palestinians except a terrorist organization? No?

Do you really believe this stuff you post? Hamas has been their champions?

Re-directing nearly a million tons of concrete for building tunnels, instead of for building homes, hospitals and a water treatment plant? Re-directing electricity to light the tunnels 24 hours a day, instead of ensuring their citizens have heat? Shooting rockets from civilian spaces? Turning hospitals into military objectives? Smuggling weapons in with fishing boats? You really think this is championing the civilians of Gaza?

Why not make peace with Israel and Egypt. Build an economy. Bring in some tourists for the gorgeous beaches. Now that would be championing the civilians of Gaza.

The raison d'etre for a Palestinian unity government make a state more workable. Hamas were elected by the people of Gaza in free and fair elections.

The raison d'etre for a Palestinian unity government, imo, is to play both sides. They gain the appeal to the world community of the "poor, down-trodden victims of Israel's "brutal occupation, massacres and open air concentration camp" in an attempt to destroy Israel politically, while also gaining connections to terrorist groups (ISIS) in an attempt to destroy Israel through warfare.

But at least you admit that the people of Gaza are self-governed and have self-determination. What was it they are resisting again?

Re-directing nearly a million tons of concrete for building tunnels, instead of for building homes, hospitals and a water treatment plant? Re-directing electricity to light the tunnels 24 hours a day, instead of ensuring their citizens have heat? Shooting rockets from civilian spaces? Turning hospitals into military objectives? Smuggling weapons in with fishing boats? You really think this is championing the civilians of Gaza?

Why not make peace with Israel and Egypt. Build an economy. Bring in some tourists for the gorgeous beaches. Now that would be championing the civilians of Gaza.

You are such a moron. The reason that the Palestinians can't do fu-k all with Gaza is because Israel has the place blockaded.

The Palestinians are under military occupation by a foreign power. They, like all other occupied peoples, are required to do everything possible to make the occupation difficult and expensive for the occupying power. That's how occupations are ended, historically.

montelatici answered well for me in the above Post #15.

The Palestinians can do f all with Gaza because they are diverting every resource to petty terrorism which will accomplish nothing instead of directing resources to help their citizens and build an economy.

The Palestinians can do f all with Gaza because they are diverting every resource to petty terrorism which will accomplish nothing instead of directing resources to help their citizens and build an economy.
Gaza is under blockade by Israel and subsisting on little better than the Nazis allowed the Warsaw Ghetto and also subject to disproportionate illegal collective punishment massacres. Waking up in the morning there is a victory.

Resisting occupation is terrorism in the mind of the occupation forces. The Nazi's said the same thing about the resistance groups in occupied Europe.

Palestinians to form unity government
The so-called 'Palestinians' couldn't find their own arses with both hands in a well-lit room surrounded by mirrors.

Their new-found unity will be of great comfort to them as they are pushed to the eastern bank of the Jordan River.

Forum List

Back