Owners refuse to show $750,000 house to gay couple

53127043-10419543-image-m-53_1642616381241.jpg

• Luke Whitehouse and his partner Lachlan Mantell spotted the three-bed, semi-detached cottage as they looked to get on the property ladder
  • The couple who have been together for eight years contacted the vendors to arrange a viewing
  • Owners Luke Main, 33, a builder and his wife, Cambridge University medical physicist Dr Joanna Brunker, 34, asked them what their circumstances were
  • But when they explained that they are a gay couple, the owners refused to let them even view the house, let alone buy it
  • They cited passages from the Bible and said they could not sell the house to 'two men in a partnership.'
  • Fuming Luke, 34, told MailOnline: 'Initially for the first 10 seconds I laughed. I thought it was a joke.'
  • Estate agents Purple Bricks who were selling the property dropped the vendors as clients and apologised to Luke
  • But when contacted by MailOnline, Mr Main said he would have to speak to his wife, adding: 'Not that we're ashamed of what we said in any way'

If gays offered you your asking price on a house, would you sell it to them?
Gays? Sure, Democrats? Hell no! My neighbors would never forgive me.

That reminds me of that old joke about a daughter who informs her Irish mother she is a prostitute.

The mother faints dead away. When she recovers, the daughter says, "It's not that bad I'm a prostitute, mom."

The mother says, "Prostitute? Oh, thank goodness, I though you said Protestant."

In today's market, people are bidding higher than asking price.
Ask too much, you can scare buyers away.
Ask too little, difficult to rise the price later.
Selling at auction is a good idea, if the property would be judged to be in demand.
If not, selling with "offers over" [want $450,000, maybe "offers over" $470,000] can be a good idea.
Buyers will likely start at $350,000 anyway. lol
Buyers are not big on handing over money if they don't have to.
Popular now in bambuworld is advertise with no price..."contact agent".

Last edited:
That reminds me of that old joke about a daughter who informs her Irish mother she is a prostitute.

The mother faints dead away. When she recovers, the daughter says, "It's not that bad I'm a prostitute, mom."

The mother says, "Prostitute? Oh, thank goodness, I though you said Protestant."
LOL

Reminds me of that song by The Irish Rovers..."The Orange and the Green".

Oh, it is the biggest mix-up that you have ever seen.
My father, he was Orange and me mother, she was green.

My father was an Ulster man, proud Protestant was he.
My mother was a Catholic girl, from county Cork was she.
They were married in two churches, lived happily enough,
Until the day that I was born and things got rather tough.

Baptized by Father Riley, I was rushed away by car,
To be made a little Orangeman, me father's shining star.
I was christened "David Anthony, " but still, inspite of that,
To me father, I was William, while my mother called me Pat.

Oh, it is the biggest mix-up that you have ever seen.
My father, he was Orange and me mother, she was green.

With Mother every Sunday, to Mass I'd proudly stroll.
Then after that, the Orange lodge would try to save my soul.
For both sides tried to claim me, but i was smart because
I'd play the flute or play the harp, depending where I was.

etc

#####

Yes, you don't have to be a person of color to suffer discrimination, bullying and harassment in the workforce and society.
Sexual preference, religion, politics, race, attire, speech, jealousy etc...it's a minefield to negotiate.
I learnt quickly after age 18 to do exactly that "play the flute or play the harp depending where I was".
It's worked quite well.
"Live and let live" mommy dearest taught me.

Last edited:
We are hearing the exact same justifications these bigots used to stop blacks from buying houses in white neighborhoods.

And they are swinging around the same Bible they used to justify their hatred.

Same bullshit, different decade.
One thing is if they had been prohibited by law; but completely different one if they are denied by a private owner. Heck, you can't be forced to sell your property.

One thing is if they had been prohibited by law; but completely different one if they are denied by a private owner. Heck, you can't be forced to sell your property.
They put it up for sale. No one was forcing them to sell.

Get off the crack.

They put it up for sale. No one was forcing them to sell.

Get off the crack.
Yeah, but they as owners can decide what to do with their property, to whom to sell it and who can be allowed in.

Yeah, but they as owners can decide what to do with their property, to whom to sell it and who can be allowed in.
Not under the law, they can't. They have to open it up to all comers.

Look, if you want to say a person should have the right to sell or not sell their property to whomever they choose, you will find a sympathetic ear in me. We could have a reasoned debate about it.

But the second an ignorant hypocritical tard picks up a Bible in their inbred hands to justify their position, then we are going to have a serious fight.

"No Republicans allowed!"

I'd have no problem whatsover selling to them

Why should I?

Heck, my favorite emoloyee is gay and if I were to ever get too feeble to run it, myself, he'd be my choice.

I am a very strong proponent of the rights of property owners.

Unfortunately, the intransigence of these bigoted cow-handed lubberworts led to the public accommodation laws with which we are now saddled.

And that's just the way it is.

So when one of them picks up the Bible to justify their hatred, I am going to take it from them and bitch slap them all the way back to the pile of fetid manure they crawled out of.

Exactly why it's a bad idea to declare publicly one's political beliefs. :)
"Swinging voter" is a good 'excuse'..."I'm neither Left nor Right", "I vote for the party that gives me the best deal".

Not under the law, they can't. They have to open it up to all comers.

Look, if you want to say a person should have the right to sell or not sell their property to whomever they choose, you will find a sympathetic ear in me. We could have a reasoned debate about it.

But the second an ignorant hypocritical tard picks up a Bible in their inbred hands to justify their position, then we are going to have a serious fight.

"No Republicans allowed!"
Yes, I want to say that a person should have the right to sell their property to whomever they choose. And it doesn't matter what reason of it may be. Bible, cultural background, personal characteristics or whatever else it can be.

True enough.
But, in some places there are discrimination laws.
Under those laws in my world, ....

About Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity and Intersex Status Discrimination | Australian Human Rights Commission

From 1 August 2013 it is unlawful to discriminate against a person on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity and intersex status under federal law. Same-sex couples are now also protected from discrimination under the definition of ‘marital or relationship status’.

XXX

Federal law, mind you.

The problem for the owners in this thread's case is that they refused to let the gay couple have a viewing, cited the Bible, and stated they wouldn't sell the property to them on the basis of being "two men in a partnership".

That's in my world.
The laws elsewhere could be different.

I also embraced the saying "Avoid litigation like the plague" long ago, that's worked well for me too.

Last edited:
53127043-10419543-image-m-53_1642616381241.jpg

• Luke Whitehouse and his partner Lachlan Mantell spotted the three-bed, semi-detached cottage as they looked to get on the property ladder
  • The couple who have been together for eight years contacted the vendors to arrange a viewing
  • Owners Luke Main, 33, a builder and his wife, Cambridge University medical physicist Dr Joanna Brunker, 34, asked them what their circumstances were
  • But when they explained that they are a gay couple, the owners refused to let them even view the house, let alone buy it
  • They cited passages from the Bible and said they could not sell the house to 'two men in a partnership.'
  • Fuming Luke, 34, told MailOnline: 'Initially for the first 10 seconds I laughed. I thought it was a joke.'
  • Estate agents Purple Bricks who were selling the property dropped the vendors as clients and apologised to Luke
  • But when contacted by MailOnline, Mr Main said he would have to speak to his wife, adding: 'Not that we're ashamed of what we said in any way'

If gays offered you your asking price on a house, would you sell it to them?

There is no place for enemies of God among normal humans

There is no place for enemies of God among normal humans
My friend, macho man, Christian family [Catholic]...has wife and two children.
His son, at age early twenties, came out as gay. Father early 50's then.
The parents were shocked...what to do.
Yes, sure makes you think deeply about things when that happens to you..
What choices do you make?
. Disown your child, rid them from your sight permanently?
. Tell them, and mean it, that you love them just the same and always will?

What if it's your very beautiful, sweet, intelligent, loving daughter, gone to college, brilliant student?
She informs you that she has fallen in love...with a girl?

What if it's your not-so-beautiful daughter who was bullied at high school by girls and boys, didn't graduate...so can't go to college...has been rejected by all boys, not a "hot chick"?
She tells you one day she has fallen in love...with a girl?

Last edited:
Gay is nothing to disown a child for. Now, if they turn Democratic, then you need to disown them, cut them out of your will, keep a gun by your front door and filing a restraining order. :auiqs.jpg:

Any gay 'convert' more as 100 straights men through his shabby live
It's the reason why sodomites shall be isolated from human society
By the way the Holy BIble strictly condemns sodomy

Any gay 'convert' more as 100 straights men through his shabby live
It's the reason why sodomites shall be isolated from human society
By the way the Holy BIble strictly condemns sodomy
Gay people are the children of straight people.
"Separation of Church and State" dictates that State laws override Church laws.
Waving the Bible around to justify trying to bypass State law in the "Christian West" usually won't work.

“lavat-e be onf” – sexual intercourse between two men.
Iran’s radical sharia law system prescribes the death penalty for gay sex.

According to a 2008 British WikiLeaks dispatch, Iran’s mullah regime executed “between 4,000 and 6,000 gays and lesbians” since the Islamic Revolution in 1979.
Someone's children.

True enough.
But, in some places there are discrimination laws.
Under those laws in my world, ....

About Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity and Intersex Status Discrimination | Australian Human Rights Commission

From 1 August 2013 it is unlawful to discriminate against a person on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity and intersex status under federal law. Same-sex couples are now also protected from discrimination under the definition of ‘marital or relationship status’.

XXX

Federal law, mind you.

The problem for the owners in this thread's case is that they refused to let the gay couple have a viewing, cited the Bible, and stated they wouldn't sell the property to them on the basis of being "two men in a partnership".

That's in my world.
The laws elsewhere could be different.

I also embraced the saying "Avoid litigation like the plague" long ago, that's worked well for me too.
Yes, I understand that this is law. But such laws end up serving the purpose being the opposite of what was intended to do, namely shifting discrimination from one point to another. But in no way helping resolve this issue.

Forum List

Back