Owners refuse to show $750,000 house to gay couple

Otis Mayfield

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2021
53127043-10419543-image-m-53_1642616381241.jpg

• Luke Whitehouse and his partner Lachlan Mantell spotted the three-bed, semi-detached cottage as they looked to get on the property ladder
  • The couple who have been together for eight years contacted the vendors to arrange a viewing
  • Owners Luke Main, 33, a builder and his wife, Cambridge University medical physicist Dr Joanna Brunker, 34, asked them what their circumstances were
  • But when they explained that they are a gay couple, the owners refused to let them even view the house, let alone buy it
  • They cited passages from the Bible and said they could not sell the house to 'two men in a partnership.'
  • Fuming Luke, 34, told MailOnline: 'Initially for the first 10 seconds I laughed. I thought it was a joke.'
  • Estate agents Purple Bricks who were selling the property dropped the vendors as clients and apologised to Luke
  • But when contacted by MailOnline, Mr Main said he would have to speak to his wife, adding: 'Not that we're ashamed of what we said in any way'

If gays offered you your asking price on a house, would you sell it to them?

• Luke Whitehouse and his partner Lachlan Mantell spotted the three-bed, semi-detached cottage as they looked to get on the property ladder
  • The couple who have been together for eight years contacted the vendors to arrange a viewing
  • Owners Luke Main, 33, a builder and his wife, Cambridge University medical physicist Dr Joanna Brunker, 34, asked them what their circumstances were
  • But when they explained that they are a gay couple, the owners refused to let them even view the house, let alone buy it
  • They cited passages from the Bible and said they could not sell the house to 'two men in a partnership.'
  • Fuming Luke, 34, told MailOnline: 'Initially for the first 10 seconds I laughed. I thought it was a joke.'
  • Estate agents Purple Bricks who were selling the property dropped the vendors as clients and apologised to Luke
  • But when contacted by MailOnline, Mr Main said he would have to speak to his wife, adding: 'Not that we're ashamed of what we said in any way'

So what? If it is YOUR house, you are free to sell it for any price to any person you choose. No one is "entitled" to own a particular house.

Hopefully the refuse to also sell to any divorced and remarried couples also. They are certainly going to narrow down their potential buyers if they are anything other than hypocritical.

"No, you are too fat, the Bible speaks on the evils of Gluttony".

Hopefully the refuse to also sell to any divorced and remarried couples also. They are certainly going to narrow down their potential buyers if they are anything other than hypocritical.

Modern day "christians" are chock-full of hypocrisy. It's a bigger part of their faith than the 10 Commandments or Jesus.

Who the fuck names their kid "Lachlan"??

But that aside...

I would sell it to them, sure. I can't imagine why I wouldn't...

And this truly is your business.

This happened in the UK. Property-owners have very few rights there.

I can't either.

It's not like you have to have sex with them.

My Mom and step-dad moved to North Carolina when he retired in 1996. They lived in a fabulous house in a very well to do neighborhood. Black, white, Jews, Muslims... all lived in that neighborhood. So did a gay couple, next door to Mom and Henry. When Henry passed away in 2004, the gay couple, David and Michael, were indispensable. They pretty much took care of Mom, driving her to lawyer and funeral home appointments, cooking for her, cleaning her home; anything that Mom needed they took care of and they asked for nothing in return.

Others in the neighborhood did some occasional cooking, and that was greatly appreciated. But David and Michael rose above and proved that, when it comes down to being good, decent people, sexual orientation is an afterthought. I don't share their sexual persuasion, but I would never dream of belittling or trying to take advantage of a gay couple because they're gay...

if they still want to buy my house after I tell them how creepy they are I suppose it depends on how much I dislike my neighbors

Forum List

Back