Out with the Tea and Coffee, in with Tequila!

ABikerSailor

Diamond Member
Aug 26, 2008
Newberry, SC
Yet another fracturing of the GOP..........

There's the tea party. That spawned the coffee party. And now: The tequila party.

The group, which aims to galvanize Latino voters in both the 2012 primaries and the general election, is having its coming out party of sorts on Saturday, when it'll host a rally in Tucson.

Its name is certainly providing the new organization plenty of double takes and free media exposure, but it carries with it some controversy as well: some allege that equating tequila with a Hispanic group could create negative associations.

"It's not a movement to encourage drinking, it's just a drink," said DeeDee Garcia Blase, president of the Tequila Party National Movement.

"Tequila is made in Mexico and when you take a look at a composite of the Hispanic and Latin pie, Mexican-Americans make up the majority of that pie. So it's more symbolic. Tequila was made in Mexico and we need more Mexican-Americans to get out the vote."

Garcia Blase says that while the bulk of the reaction she's received to the name has been positive, she's aware that not everyone is a fan. She read one email she received to POLITICO in which the writer applauded the movement's goals, but said the name "negatively stereotype Latinos."

"My response is that I'm not going to be able to please everybody," said Blase. "I could easily be attacked if I had named it, say, the tortilla party. ... They're looking too much into it."

The genesis of the Tequila Party, which Blase says would be aggressively non-partisan despite her Republican leanings, has its roots in some notable political lineage. Gus Garcia, who is a consultant for the group, was Hillary Clinton's national Latin co-chair in 2008. Fernando Romero, whom Blase credits with creating the party's name, is president of Hispanics in Politics.

Read more: Arizona's 'tequila party' takes its shot

Arizona's 'tequila party' takes its shot

Yanno..........these "tequila party" types are trying to counteract the craziness of the tea baggers.

Quick question..........when did tequila become more reasonable than tea?

Forum List

Back