Our chickens are getting big...

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
We got these little buggers in the mail back in April...and they are pretty awesome.

Don't think we'll ever do anything with them but get eggs...they are really quite friendly and very quiet. All hens, no rooster. Don't ask me anything about them...my job was to build the enclosure. Everything else...including assembling and painting the coop, Mrs. Mo handled.

All I can tell you is they are Australorps.

20200829_143435.jpg

20200829_143450.jpg

We built a very nice coop from 129 year old barn wood we got when tearing an old barn. That stuff is awesome.

I'm the only hold up now. We have so many critters all over the property, I dread to find them killed.

I'm too chicken to get any chickens.

One of our ducks hatch a dozen babies. Mix of muscovy and pekin, haven't checked their sex yet but roast duck on the menu later I'm sure because male ducks are problemactic with raping the chicken hens. One of the ganders killed 5 of them and he now lives with a friend. One of our pekins had one baby we named Squirt and she's grown like a weed.

One of our ducks hatch a dozen babies. Mix of muscovy and pekin, haven't checked their sex yet but roast duck on the menu later I'm sure because male ducks are problemactic with raping the chicken hens. One of the ganders killed 5 of them and he now lives with a friend. One of our pekins had one baby we named Squirt and she's grown like a weed.
i haven't quite figured out wtf i'm doing with 2 dz ducks Rod , do they get along with chickens? ~S~

We got these little buggers in the mail back in April...and they are pretty awesome.

Don't think we'll ever do anything with them but get eggs...they are really quite friendly and very quiet. All hens, no rooster. Don't ask me anything about them...my job was to build the enclosure. Everything else...including assembling and painting the coop, Mrs. Mo handled.

View attachment 381923

View attachment 381925

"We got these little buggers in the mail back in April"

You had CHICKENS Fed Ex'd to you?

i haven't quite figured out wtf i'm doing with 2 dz ducks Rod , do they get along with chickens? ~S~
We started out with just the chickens and added two female ducks and one male, plus seven Sebastopol geese not all full grown (kept two geese). The male duck raped a few of the chickens. This causes a prolapse as the hens just are not built anywhere close to what a duck has and the prolapse can kill the chickens. Apparently it is common among male ducks so limit the males.

View attachment 381923

View attachment 381925
I've never seen chickens like that.
We were talking about chickens today. Might get me a few Reds.

gotta say, ducks make chickens look like Einstein though....~S~
Actually if you have duck hens the eggs are great and sell for a better price (fifty cents each) than chicken eggs because so many cannot eat chicken eggs. The ducks also keep laying in the winter where the chickens do not unless you are in a warm area of heat their run.

In the winter no pond, Spring for them so we just cut a whole in a small bucket lid and they get along with that okay for a few months. Ducks have to have a water as they eat or food gets caught and they choke so just feed a couple times a day.

View attachment 381923

View attachment 381925

"We got these little buggers in the mail back in April"

You had CHICKENS Fed Ex'd to you?
They only come USPS. Literally in the mail. I'm pretty sure Mrs Mo said that is the only way they can be legally shipped.

Actually if you have duck hens the eggs are great and sell for a better price (fifty cents each) than chicken eggs because so many cannot eat chicken eggs.
thx, i figure i gotta $$$ for their feed somehow....

Ducks have to have a water as they eat or food gets caught and they choke so just feed a couple times a day.

I noticed that when i tried feeding old bread , man ....bad engineering , is there a 'Duck Heimlich'??

~S~

Actually if you have duck hens the eggs are great and sell for a better price (fifty cents each) than chicken eggs because so many cannot eat chicken eggs.
thx, i figure i gotta $$$ for their feed somehow....

Ducks have to have a water as they eat or food gets caught and they choke so just feed a couple times a day.

I noticed that when i tried feeding old bread , man ....bad engineering , is there a 'Duck Heimlich'??

~S~
Bread is actually bad for them. I may give my layers a few pieces of wheat bread now and then but not often.

If I get a chance I'll snap some new pics and get Charlie the gardener in there too. Charlie is great as he turns weeds into nice little round fertilizer pellets now while its so dry. I just raked a couple tubs worth and put out on the garden.

Forum List

Back