Operation Barbarossa: the most barbarous conflict in history.

• Banned
^ Though Russia possessed three times the number of aircraft and tanks that Germany did, the momentum of the German ground and air attack rapidly destroyed the organisation of Soviet defences. Much of the Soviet air force was destroyed on the ground, and thousands of soldiers found themselves surrounded and were forced to surrender.

It took several days for Soviet leader Joseph Stalin to come to terms with the catastrophe. He retreated to his dacha – his summer house on the Black Sea – and didn’t return to the Kremlin until 1 July, when he made his first speech since the invasion had begun.

• Banned
^ Hitler’s primary objective had always been east. Ultimately, he sought to destroy and replace the British Empire, but he believed that he had to destroy the Soviet Union first, and then utilise its natural resources to return the war to Britain. Or as Hitler himself put it, ‘The road to London ran through Moscow’.

Stalin was every bit as evil as Hitler. They cut a deal to each take half of Poland.

then both already knew they would betray each other and go to War.

Then when they went to War the losses on both sides was massive. Stalin emptied his Gulags and forced them to HUMAN WAVE the Germans. So many that the Germans couldn't win the battle of attrition. In one battle I believe the Russians lost 1.6 million or so troops.

We supported Stalin because the enemy of my enemy is my friend. And that is all.

How about the Mongol invasion of China?

maxresdefault.jpg

I wonder if the little Nazi former WW1 corporal understood how vast Russia was and how severe the winters could be. His ignorance of geography probably extended to history as well. Hitler probably never heard of Napoleon.

Forum List

Back