Only the rich can afford to eat healthy

To be fair, not everyone has the space for a garden, or the time or energy to do that or be Martha Stewart. But you don't need a garden or going to that extreme to make things at home cheaper than eating out/etc. Heck just a simple jar of spaghetti sauce and pasta can be had for $5 or less and feed most families. Tasty, cheap, easy, and healthy.

PS I saw our newspaper run this ridiculous article in today's edition. I guess I should be amazed that such a lame study is apparently garnering so much attention, but...

Here's one thing I am certain of.

HOME ECONOMICs ought to be one of the course EVERY high school student ought to take.

If you're a grown up and you don't know how to cook?

Shame on you.

I could eat a perfectly heathy diet for about $100 a month.

But what you cannot do is eat a healthy (and inexpesive) diet if your diet consists of a LOT of prepared food.

Of course if you're working two-and-a-half jobs to keep body and sould alive, then taking the time to cook can be a real problem.

But most of us could eat right and eat much more cheaply than we do.

Agreed on all counts, although I have to admit I question that $100/month thing - healthy perhaps but beans n potatos would get old :cool:

HOME ECONOMICs ought to be one of the course EVERY high school student ought to take.

Shame on you.

But what you cannot do is eat a healthy (and inexpesive) diet if your diet consists of a LOT of prepared food.

Of course if you're working two-and-a-half jobs to keep body and sould alive, then taking the time to cook can be a real problem.

Agreed on all counts, although I have to admit I question that $100/month thing - healthy perhaps but beans n potatos would get old :cool:

No, $100 can be just about right. My son bought me 10 lb. (maybe it was 20?) bag of Asian rice at the PX - I'll never have to buy anymore rice for the rest of my life. Rice is good - not always gravy laden. Steam some rice and refrigerate it, chop up a few veggies of choice, add cut up chicken or beef strips, a little soy/teriyaki/whatever - you have a pile of fried rice. If you don't like to spend the time chopping, they have these great little choppers nowadays - and they work. Refrigerate or freeze to eat later.

Easier for me to shop weekly when it comes to fresh veggies, but a baking potato or sweet potato at $1 +/-, one squash, one kiwi, one mango - feeding myself comes pretty cheaply. A pack of hot dogs is 4 meals - it's a quick fix. I'm willing to pay the price for quality meats (and sales are the way to go). Things that can be stretched out into several meals are pretty cheap in the long run (soups, spaghetti sauce, stews, etc.).

So, yeah, $100/month can be done.

Shame on you.

Why do schools need to teach kids Home Ec? My mom taught us to cook - from scratch, no cans or jars or bottles. All of us.... even the brothers. My dad taught us how to fix our own cars, change a tire, put up a shelf, and do any thing that needs doing around the house.... even me... the daughter. Parents should teach their kids how to live, not schools.

It doesn't take much room or much money to grow your own veg, herbs and shit. It's easy. I grow my own, I freeze what I don't use, or swap with friends who also grow stuff.

In one growin season I grew and canned enough produce to do me and my family until next summer. Green beans, peas, carrots, corn, potatoes etc. And all of it for next to nothing except for my and my families labor.

I hardly buy anything at the grocery store we raise our own beef, pork, and chicken.

Now I know that everybody does not have the space to do all that but if you have a patio you can grow your own produce for next to nothing.

Eating easy is bad for you. If you put work into it then it is probably good for you.

Yup you got it, eating healthy costs $$$$$$, thats why alot of the people that are obese typically lower income or average income here in the US, cheap foods contain alot of fats.

That's bull. People are obese because they're too fucking lazy to cook healthy food. Anyone can eat healthily without spending vast sums of money. We grew up that way. It's got nothing to do with poverty, only laziness.

Why do schools need to teach kids Home Ec?

Parents should teach their kids how to live, not schools.
They should, but they don't. Or perhaps they don't know how to cook themselves. That's why for the schools.

It doesn't take much room or much money to grow your own veg, herbs and shit. It's easy. I grow my own, I freeze what I don't use, or swap with friends who also grow stuff.

Not everyone has the space, even if you don't need much, or the time/energy.

Yup you got it, eating healthy costs $$$$$$, thats why alot of the people that are obese typically lower income or average income here in the US, cheap foods contain alot of fats.

That's bull. People are obese because they're too fucking lazy to cook healthy food. Anyone can eat healthily without spending vast sums of money. We grew up that way. It's got nothing to do with poverty, only laziness.

Your probably right but the other week me and my girl cooked a healthy dinner in our house of salmon, white rice, a salad and some green chili sauce on the side. The salmon alone cost $25, everything else wasn't too bad, for some people thats alot to pay for if you are on a budget.

If you want cheap and healthy you need to be able to prepare your own meat all the way from running/flying/swimming to the table.

Diets can be supplemented with natural vitamin and mineral pills that can be bought at your supermarket and provide a lot more bang for the buck than trying to get everything you need in meals.

And then you just use discipline and keep fats, sugars, and sodium low and eat sensibly.

This is just another "I'm not rich enough to be equal" cop out.

Your probably right but the other week me and my girl cooked a healthy dinner in our house of salmon, white rice, a salad and some green chili sauce on the side. The salmon alone cost $25, everything else wasn't too bad, for some people thats alot to pay for if you are on a budget.

For $25 you can get all the beneficial materials in that salmon for a month if you buy the supplements. Coenzyme Q10, Omega 3 fattys, etc. Just buy the vitamins.

The only thing you miss out on is the taste of the actual food. So every once in a while you spoil yourself and buy a salmon. Otherwise, you just gotta eat sensibly at your income level. You can still supplement everything the rich people are eating in their diets.

For $25 you can get all the beneficial materials in that salmon for a month if you buy the supplements. Coenzyme Q10, Omega 3 fattys, etc. Just buy the vitamins.

The only thing you miss out on is the taste of the actual food. So every once in a while you spoil yourself and buy a salmon. Otherwise, you just gotta eat sensibly at your income level. You can still supplement everything the rich people are eating in their diets.
Or shop elsewhere. :cool: $25 for salmon? I can get 2 filets for under $10.

Don't know where you bought salmon for $25. I can buy a nice sized fillet for less than $10 and get about 3 to 4 meals out of it.

Forum List

Back