One of Many Reasons Everything Is So Messed Up- Biden Admin Allows Workers to Get Paid for Doing Little As They Continue to "Work From Home" Most Days

Some jobs can be done productively at home, and some can not.

Some people are equally productive working from home vs office, and some are not.

About 15 years ago, the hubby had a job working out of his own office at home, and traveling to visit stores maybe twice or thrice a week.... He initially struggled with getting himself disciplined and on a daily work schedule....but within a couple of months, he figured it all out...primarily he moved his office and computers to the walk out basement family room, which was off limits to me during working hours! :(

Here's the thing about government employees "working from home." Government jobs are not only there so that needed work is done, but also to provide jobs for the benefit of voters who will keep in office those who supply them with those jobs. So, the jobs are not long hard workdays at only the pay justified by the employees training, education and experience. No reason to be grateful for that, the employee could get that on the free market.

So the jobs are relatively easy, and the pay is relatively high, given the qualifications required. No production quotas to meet, no minimum performance requirements. Often, the most important way a government employee earns their pay, is just by showing up and clocking in. The time between clock-in and clock-out consists mainly of looking busy, and then only when the supervisor is actively monitoring.

To allow such employees to simply stay home and collect a direct-deposited paycheck with no one checking to see if they are actually working, takes the waste even further. People who show up to work every day to wait tables, dig ditches, or sell groceries are paying for that lifestyle.

December 5, 2022

As of October, 10,020 of the CDC’s 12,892 full-time employees — 78% of the full-time workforce — were allowed to work remotely all or part of the time, according to data that KHN obtained via a Freedom of Information Act request.

48% of CDC employees never report to the office.

22% show up for work in the office daily.

1670342929880.png

December 5, 2022

As of October, 10,020 of the CDC’s 12,892 full-time employees — 78% of the full-time workforce — were allowed to work remotely all or part of the time, according to data that KHN obtained via a Freedom of Information Act request.

48% of CDC employees never report to the office.

22% show up for work in the office daily.

View attachment 735337

I had an office at the hospital and had meetings a couple times a week like board of trustees or medical staff.. but I worked long hours from home... and was very, very productive. I started early with no interruptions and worked a few hours in the evening and on weekends. I was also well paid with 10s of thousands in earned bonuses .

Working from home is great if you love the work and have a strong work ethic.

I had an office at the hospital and had meetings a couple times a week like board of trustees or medical staff.. but I worked long hours from home... and was very, very productive. I started early with no interruptions and worked a few hours in the evening and on weekends. I was also well paid with 10s of thousands in earned bonuses .

Working from home is great if you love the work and have a strong work ethic.
I doubt that the 80% of CDC employees who work from home share your work ethic.

But they probably receive bonuses like you anyway.

Regards,
Jim

And how they exploit their annual leave, oh my! They go to the beach or visit their sister or whatever, and bring their laptop with them. They log on for a couple of hours a day - after brunch in a restaurant and before the afternoon matinee - and consider it a full workday.
You seem to have a lot of time to spy on government workers. Do you work or is your "job" mean being up the ass of people who do?

We peasants should just thank them for the very substandard job they do. Shut up & pay us!
The truth is, if we made them work more, things would get worse. The govt doesn't generally hire the cream of the crop.
More like the cream from a croc, only good for making fellow reptiles.
Let's just fire them all & take our chances.
I think we'll be fine. I know I will
Government is full of nepotism. Full of people who hire their friends and family.

Government is full of nepotism. Full of people who hire their friends and family.

These days, getting a job with the feds is so much like hitting the jackpot that it does take someone to bring you onboard. Decades ago, it was the employer of last resort for those who couldn’t hack it in the private industry.

Biden Admin Allows Workers to Get Paid for Doing Little​

Government employees get full pay and benefits we pay for, and they don't even have to show up to work, much less perform adequately at their jobs.

Gee Jim, I'm sure you get now why politicians like Biden and Pelosi go from graduating school to a lifetime career in politics! People in the private sector do more work in a month than they likely do in a year, they get paid 50% to 100% more and get double or triple the benefits, and best of all, no accountability!

You have to really fuck up in the fed to actually get fired!

Gee Jim, I'm sure you get now why politicians like Biden and Pelosi go from graduating school to a lifetime career in politics! People in the private sector do more work in a month than they likely do in a year, they get paid 50% to 100% more and get double or triple the benefits, and best of all, no accountability!

The other thing they do, since they can “work” from home, is travel all over - ski trips to Vermont in winter, a week or two at the beach in the summer, another week in Cancun, and because they take their laptop and “log in,” they don’t don’t annual leave and hoard it all for when they retire - at which time we have to pay them for months and months of unused vacation time.

It’s one of the biggest scams going, and they still complain how underpaid they are.

I have plenty of zoom meetings with government employees. They all seem to be working from home.

Get to hear their dogs barking and kids playing.

Must be nice to have a couple of meetings to attend and spend much of the rest of the day tending to personal matters which would be impossible if you actually had to show up to the office every day.
Dude (bottom right) is still on the payroll after admitting committing a felony...

Must be nice to have a couple of meetings to attend and spend much of the rest of the day tending to personal matters which would be impossible if you actually had to show up to the office every day.
If you got your day's work assigned by your boss done in only four hours, instead of rewarding you with the other four hours off free time, he'd find you another four hours of work to do!

Dude (bottom right) is still on the payroll after admitting committing a felony...
The Fed and Congress are FULL of felons, tax cheats---- If government suddenly fired everyone with a criminal conviction against them, there'd hardly be anyone left in Washington!

Long overdue...

Sat, August 5, 2023

White House pushes US agencies to 'aggressively' boost in-person work​

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The White House wants federal agencies to "aggressively" execute a shift to more in-person work starting next month, saying it is crucial to delivering government services.

White House Chief of Staff Jeff Zients, in an email on Friday, said "we are returning to in-person work because it is critical to the well-being of our teams and will enable us to deliver better results for the American people."

The FAA expects employees by Oct. 9 to increase in-office presence to at least three days per week, according to an email first reported by Reuters.

Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg told employees "we need to be around each other in-person more than we are now to ensure this department's long-term success."

USDOT expects teleworking employees to report in person a minimum of three days every two weeks starting Sept. 10 and a minimum of four days per pay period starting Dec. 3.

Long overdue...

Sat, August 5, 2023

White House pushes US agencies to 'aggressively' boost in-person work​

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The White House wants federal agencies to "aggressively" execute a shift to more in-person work starting next month, saying it is crucial to delivering government services.

White House Chief of Staff Jeff Zients, in an email on Friday, said "we are returning to in-person work because it is critical to the well-being of our teams and will enable us to deliver better results for the American people."

The FAA expects employees by Oct. 9 to increase in-office presence to at least three days per week, according to an email first reported by Reuters.

Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg told employees "we need to be around each other in-person more than we are now to ensure this department's long-term success."

USDOT expects teleworking employees to report in person a minimum of three days every two weeks starting Sept. 10 and a minimum of four days per pay period starting Dec. 3.

I wish they’d start THIS month! I’m tired of all these government workers hogging the chairs in the shade at the pool between 11 am and 3 pm - the sunniest part of day.

Here we are 3-1/2 years later and...

"More than 75 percent of the available office space at 17 different federal agencies is still empty, according to the Government Accountability Office....

Agencies spend about $2 billion a year to operate and maintain federal office buildings and over $5 billion annually in leases.
"

They are going to make this permanent.

Here we are 3-1/2 years later and...

"More than 75 percent of the available office space at 17 different federal agencies is still empty, according to the Government Accountability Office....

Agencies spend about $2 billion a year to operate and maintain federal office buildings and over $5 billion annually in leases.
"

They are going to make this permanent.

Or….maybe we should first require government workers to show up for work and put in a full day. Then we’ll see the degree to which we can get rid of redundant workers, and THEN sell off the unnecessary office space. We would save money in both compensation and property costs.

Here is Senator Cassidy (R-LA) grilling top health bureaucrats about how often they actually show up to the office, and what their policies are for their employees.

Universally, they all refused to directly answer and dodged the question, making excusing for why they rarely show up to work.

It's quite astonishing and frustrating to watch.

The Senator points out that HHS has a policy which only requires people to show up one day every other week! The rest of the time, they can pretend to work from home, running errands, and watching The View on daytime television.

Government employees get full pay and benefits we pay for, and they don't even have to show up to work, much less perform adequately at their jobs.

If they actually worked and did their jobs well, we could cut the size of government payroll by over 50% and have better performance than we are currently seeing.

Four years later....

All federal agencies are less than 50 percent occupied - wasting an estimated $2.8 million per day.
Right now, American Taxpayers are forced to pay $2 billion a year for office space - almost half the size of Disney World - that D.C. bureaucrats refuse to use,' Perry wrote on X.

Government watchdog @USGAO reported that 17 of the 24 federal agencies it reviewed used 25% OR LESS of their headquarters office space.

Republicans say its an insult to taxpayers as agencies spend about $2 billion a year to operate and maintain over 11,000 acres of federal office buildings and over $5 billion annually in leases.

Forum List

Back