One Hit Wonders

People can generally only speak to what takes place in their own country or their own neck of the woods. There are many that have huge hits in Britain that hardly chart over here. See Suzi Quatro.

Again, Lisa Loeb had three songs which did fairly well on the US charts. I wouldn't call her a "one hit wonder" ...more of a "flash in the pan". Technically, with just the one #1, you can SAY she was a "one hit wonder" but then you've established the criteria at having a #1 hit. Lots of people that are being mentioned had popular songs but they weren't anywhere close to #1. So they are "NO hit wonders" by the same criteria.

People can generally only speak to what takes place in their own country or their own neck of the woods. There are many that have huge hits in Britain that hardly chart over here. See Suzi Quatro.

Again, Lisa Loeb had three songs which did fairly well on the US charts. I wouldn't call her a "one hit wonder" ...more of a "flash in the pan". Technically, with just the one #1, you can SAY she was a "one hit wonder" but then you've established the criteria at having a #1 hit. Lots of people that are being mentioned had popular songs but they weren't anywhere close to #1. So they are "NO hit wonders" by the same criteria.

No it is not scientific. And a hit is a hit, #1 or otherwise.

WTF???

They also had huge hits with "All I Need Is A Miracle" and "Silent Running", and a minor hit with "Taken In".

Maybe you should stop imagining that you are "educating Libs" and start educating yourself. Start now: it'll be a very long process for you.

I think we're now getting into what defines a "hit" and what constitutes a "one hit wonder."

Lisa Loeb was mentioned earlier... she had one song that hit #1 in the US but several that peaked fairly high and reached #1 in Canada. I wouldn't call here a "one hit wonder" but I guess she could be if you go by #1 in the US. However, Uncle Kracker.... was anything he did ever #1? Or several others mentioned here? Sure, they had popular songs... were they hits? Arguably they were... but really... what makes a "one hit wonder" and how do you rectify it with artists such as the aforementioned John Prine, Townes Van Zandt or Gram Parsons... or even the Grateful Dead? Some of the greatest songwriters of all time never had a hit song.

It also depends on which chart you go by.

Yes, Uncle Kracker was rated #1 for quite some time apparently on another chart, adult contemporary music, but not on Billboard. Is it only Billboard that counts. Billboard is about album sales.

I consider a band who only had one or a couple of "popular" songs to be one hit wonders. They don't have to have had a #1 hit on Billboard IMO. Just a short lived period of being very popular or having a very popular song or two. :)

Yes, Uncle Kracker was rated #1 for quite some time apparently on another chart, adult contemporary music, but not on Billboard.
Didn't he also have a co-hit with Kenny Chesney - 'When The Sun Goes Down"?

I consider a band who only had one or a couple of "popular" songs to be one hit wonders. They don't have to have had a #1 hit on Billboard IMO. Just a short lived period of being very popular or having a very popular song or two.

Well I think if you had more than one song that was popular it sort of disqualifies you as a "one hit wonder" ...but as we've determined, this is a matter of perspective. When I think of true "one hit wonders" I think of Mississippi Queen by Mountain. It was never #1... I think it peaked at #17 on Billboard. But the band broke up in '72 and never had another hit. Still, it's a song that most of us are familiar with when we hear it.

On Hit Wonders are often considered to be something like this:

It was his only #1 hit but he's made an amazing living out of it with all sorts of stuff to include his massively popular restaurant in Vegas.

I have no idea how he's done outside of the USA

I consider a band who only had one or a couple of "popular" songs to be one hit wonders. They don't have to have had a #1 hit on Billboard IMO. Just a short lived period of being very popular or having a very popular song or two.

Well I think if you had more than one song that was popular it sort of disqualifies you as a "one hit wonder" ...but as we've determined, this is a matter of perspective. When I think of true "one hit wonders" I think of Mississippi Queen by Mountain. It was never #1... I think it peaked at #17 on Billboard. But the band broke up in '72 and never had another hit. Still, it's a song that most of us are familiar with when we hear it.

Okay, but for the purposes of the thread, I think we can relax a little on the "rules." :D Lol. If a band had one or two hits and only made perhaps one album, I think they can be included. Otherwise, we can only go with bands who had ONE Billboard hit.

Is that country music? I wouldn't know about that. ;)
I haven't considered any of it Country music since around 1980.
4i6Ckte.gif

A one-hit wonder is someone who comes out of nowhere, has a hit song, then is never heard from again.

Like:

or:

It certainly doesn't apply to Jimmy Buffett, who has had one of the best careers ever and still sells out his concerts.

This thread isn't about people who have had only one #1 song.

It was his only #1 hit but he's made an amazing living out of it with all sorts of stuff to include his massively popular restaurant in Vegas.

See, I disagree that Buffett is a "one hit wonder" simply because he only had one #1. He has a huge fan base and a string of songs that were popular but not #1. If you are going by the #1 standard, there are some very popular groups and artists who are NO hit wonders. Some of the most popular songs you know were never #1.

A one-hit wonder is someone who comes out of nowhere, has a hit song, then is never heard from again.

Like:

or:

It certainly doesn't apply to Jimmy Buffett, who has had one of the best careers ever and still sells out his concerts.

This thread isn't about people who have had only one #1 song.

That is technically what a one-hit wonder would be definitely. I am broadening the definition to include those who gained short-term popularity and then were never really heard from again. Like one-album wonders? :D

See, I disagree that Buffett is a "one hit wonder" simply because he only had one #1. He has a huge fan base and a string of songs that were popular but not #1. If you are going by the #1 standard, there are some very popular groups and artists who are NO hit wonders. Some of the most popular songs you know were never #1.

What about Cheeseburger in Paradise? I thought that was also a hit by Mr. Jimmy Buffett??

What about Cheeseburger in Paradise? I thought that was also a hit by Mr. Jimmy Buffett??

Not only that but "Come Monday" was a hit three years before Margaritaville.

So was 'Come Monday', 'Volcano', 'Fins', etc.

Forum List

Back