On what major issues do you support Bernie Sanders?

Other than that he hates Trump, but why???
I like his single-payer, healthcare plan. Unfortunately he reminds me of another Dem hopeful I really supported. McGovern. I believe he lost every state but one and I can see Bernie doing the same.
What do you like about his single payer plan?
The one he refuses to answer as to how it could be paid for?
Estimated cost is $30 Trillion, and estimates like this are notoriously understated significantly. Another independent source said it will be closer to $40 Trillion.
Or do you simply like the IDEA of single payer?

You can admire his tenacity, though misguided.
He believes what he believes and defends it vigorously.
He has not allowed himself to be corrupted to the degree everyone else around him is.
I believe he truly has the best interest of others at heart, but just wrong opinions on how to get there.
Bernie has been in Washington since the 70's....name one bill other than renaming a post office, that this passionate liberal has gotten passed?? Just one that addresses the very people he's now high on getting their votes...I'll be waiting......He's just a all talk mf and that's it...Hillary with nuts

I like his single-payer, healthcare plan. Unfortunately he reminds me of another Dem hopeful I really supported. McGovern. I believe he lost every state but one and I can see Bernie doing the same.
Estimated cost is $30 Trillion, and estimates like this are notoriously understated significantly. Another independent source said it will be closer to $40 Trillion.
I can't honestly say I know Bernie's plan and I doubt it would matter since it wouldn't survive it's first brush with Congress.

The idea of single payer is what I like. I think every US citizen is entitled to a basic level of healthcare and single payer is the most obvious way to get there, IMHO. When I walk into my Doc's office the number of admin staff dwarfs the number of medical staff. That seems absurd to me and I'm not alone:
  • A new study published in the journal PLOS Medicine found that a single-payer healthcare system would save more money on U.S. healthcare costs over time than competing systems.
  • Researchers looked at 22 economic analyses of national and state-level single-payer proposals made over the past 30 years.
  • They found 19 of the 22 reviews predicted this kind of system would result in net healthcare cost savings in as soon as the first year of existence.
  • The researchers also found that all of the examined single-payer proposals would save money by year 10.

like his single-payer, healthcare plan
Explain to the class what "single payer" is code for
The class should be able to do their own homework but since they apparently can't:

Single payer health insurance is a health insurance system financed by taxes that is managed and run by one entity, such as a government, providing essential health care to all citizens. It is referred to as single payer because it is the one entity (the government) that pays the costs (a "single payer").​

Bernie's Medicare for all is a single payer plan.

I can't honestly say I know Bernie's plan and I doubt it would matter since it wouldn't survive it's first brush with Congress.

The idea of single payer is what I like. I think every US citizen is entitled to a basic level of healthcare and single payer is the most obvious way to get there, IMHO. When I walk into my Doc's office the number of admin staff dwarfs the number of medical staff. That seems absurd to me and I'm not alone:
  • A new study published in the journal PLOS Medicine found that a single-payer healthcare system would save more money on U.S. healthcare costs over time than competing systems.
  • Researchers looked at 22 economic analyses of national and state-level single-payer proposals made over the past 30 years.
  • They found 19 of the 22 reviews predicted this kind of system would result in net healthcare cost savings in as soon as the first year of existence.
  • The researchers also found that all of the examined single-payer proposals would save money by year 10.
I can not possibly argue that the system we have now has too many holes, and has been bastardized by corporatism.
Did you know that the cost of treating most diseases across the board has gone DOWN significantly? (Yet the cost of insurance continues to rapidly rise)
Did you know that 67 cents of every dollar spent in the American health system is related to a poor diet?
Re-read that last sentence again.
We could at minimum cut our healthcare cost in HALF if Americans stopped eating shit. We have horrendous eating habits, that does more harm than cigarettes could have ever dreamed of.

Just something to think about. Maybe addressing America's diet should be the first thing to do,

When Bernie loses and he will, the only good that will emerge is that like Hillary and hopefully Joe and Liz, they'll all stick with what they know and get the hell off the national stage for good. I hope this is the ERA WHERE DEMOCRATS SAY GOOD BYE TO THESE OLD GEEZERS AND START TO LOOK FOR AND SUPPORT NEW VOICES WITH BETTER IDEAS AND BETTER WAYS TO CONVEY THEIR MESSAGES.

Thinking like that will guarantee a Trump victory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can not possibly argue that the system we have now has too many holes, and has been bastardized by corporatism.
Did you know that the cost of treating most diseases across the board has gone DOWN significantly? (Yet the cost of insurance continues to rapidly rise)
Did you know that 67 cents of every dollar spent in the American health system is related to a poor diet?
We could at minimum cut our healthcare cost in HALF if Americans stopped eating shit. We have horrendous eating habits, that does more harm than cigarettes could have ever dreamed of.

Just something to think about. Maybe addressing America's diet should be the first thing to do,
I have no problem rewarding those that have a healthy lifestyle. Tax breaks based on your BMI or cholesterol maybe?

Health is as complex a problem as they come so no one solution will ever be a silver bullet. Try it, test it, throw it out if it doesn't work, repeat

I have no problem rewarding those that have a healthy lifestyle. Tax breaks based on your BMI or cholesterol maybe?

Health is as complex a problem as they come so no one solution will ever be a silver bullet. Try it, test it, throw it out if it doesn't work, repeat

I am conservative, but did not have an issue with the "Soda Tax".
Drinking soda is pretty close to the top of the worse things people do to themselves mainstream.
I would fully support a high tax on Soda and many other junk foods and including fast foods.

Drinking soda is pretty close to the top of the worse things people do to themselves mainstream.
I would fully support a high tax on Soda and many other junk foods and including fast foods.
But thr then you are targeting the poor. Other than Trump, this is the food of the poor, by choice. I prefer responsible parenting, but not parenting by government. I wouldn't allow food stamps to be used for these things though.

But thr then you are targeting the poor. Other than Trump, this is the food of the poor, by choice. I prefer responsible parenting, but not parenting by government. I wouldn't allow food stamps to be used for these things though.
I'm a liberal and I prefer responsible parenting, not parenting by government. I doubt anyone would disagree. The question is what does society do when we have irresponsible parenting?

I'm a liberal and I prefer responsible parenting, not parenting by government. I doubt anyone would disagree. The question is what does society do when we have irresponsible parenting?

Irresponsible parenting is not new, and will always be here.
I get the opinion that we don't need a nanny state stting the standards... however, I do not believe that is what it is.
The majority of healthcare dollars spent in the U.S. is related to poor diets. People have proved over and over and over they will not take responsibility for thier actions. And this is rising.
So fine. You want to drink and eat food that is killing you and will cost everyone else a fortune to subsidize your fucked up eating habits?? - Then you need to pay for it yourself.

I get the opinion that we don't need a nanny state stting the standards... however, I do not believe that is what it is.
The majority of healthcare dollars spent in the U.S. is related to poor diets. People have proved over and over and over they will not take responsibility for thier actions. And this is rising.
So fine. You want to drink and eat food that is killing you and will cost everyone else a fortune to subsidize your fucked up eating habits?? - Then you need to pay for it yourself.
But the government will gladly take the new tax dollars and spend it on whatever the hell they want. It will not go to these people's health care. But you are right, although I believe poor diet is responsible for nearly all health problems

But the government will gladly take the new tax dollars and spend it on whatever the hell they want. It will not go to these people's health care. But you are right, although I believe poor diet is responsible for nearly all health problems
I totally agree, that is the problem with taxing fat...what should be done with the money. And the grubby corrupt Washington politicians THAT WE ELECT OVER AND OVER will find a way to abuse it.

Assessing risk is a tough one. Diet is not the only risk. What if someone wants to climb mountains or ride a motorcycle? How about having children knowing they have a high risk for a genetic disease? Some jobs have a higher risk than others, should accountant pay the same as a fireman? Good luck with that rabbit hole.

I agree with him on quite a few actual issues. That is to say that a lot of the problems he talks about are very real problems.

But I don't agree with any of his solutions.

Forum List

Back