Oil discoveries dispel "Peak Oil" as myth

We are finding new oil reserves every year, maybe not the USA but other countries. Brazil is extremely active and in the last couple years they have become Oil independent. Soon if not today they hope to be an exporter of petroleum.

Seems like professor's and scientist's theories are proven wrong, what is theory of Peak Oil in light of recent petroleum discoveries.

OilVoice | Petrobras Announces Discovery of Light Oil to the South of Santos Basin

Petróleo Brasileiro S.A. - Petrobras announces that it has confirmed the presence of light oil in well 1-BRSA-870-SPS (1-SPS-76), located to the south of Santos Basin, in sandstones reservoirs, similar to those found in the accumulations of Tiro and Sidon. The discovery is located around 15 km of the Tiro and Sidon area.

This discovery confirms the success of the exploratory strategy in the search for the formation of a new production hub in the southeastern part of Santos Basin which may be integrated by a series of already discovered fields, such as Caravela, Cavalo Marinho, Coral and Tiro-Sidon, as well as others to be discovered or in evaluation process, such as that of well 1-BRSA-870-SPS in the Marujá prospect.

There's a certain amount of oil, oil takes a long time to be produced. That we didn't know about oil sources that we're finding doesn't stop that oil isn't infinite.

Really? You rely on ancient information to push your narrative. How about giving us some more recent reports. They tend to blow your alarmism right out of the water.

The articles below state that; "at current consumption rate" all the oil reserves will be gone in 53 years. But of course we consume more and more than the previous year so the above estimate is a bit off.

Please note, it will "all" be gone in 53 years. Believe me the panic will set in way before then.

Total global oil reserves are estimated at 2,092 billion barrels, or 70 times the current production rate of about 30 billion barrels of oil a year. For comparison, cumulatively produced oil through 2015 amounted to 1,300 billion barrels.
U.S. Holds Most Recoverable Oil Reserves

BP's annual report on proved global oil reserves says that as of the end of 2013, Earth has nearly 1.688 trillion barrels of crude, which will last 53.3 years at current rates of extraction. This figure is 1.1 percent higher than that of the previous year.14 Jul 2014

The world has 53.3 years left to find an alternative to oil before current proved reserves run dry, according to BP. Of course, nations are finding new oil – meaning that number is rising – but new extraction methods are costly and can pose environmental threats.
How long will world's oil reserves last? 53 years, says BP

Going, going.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,gone, never to return again

Really? You rely on ancient information to push your narrative. How about giving us some more recent reports. They tend to blow your alarmism right out of the water.

The articles below state that; "at current consumption rate" all the oil reserves will be gone in 53 years. But of course we consume more and more than the previous year so the above estimate is a bit off.

Please note, it will "all" be gone in 53 years. Believe me the panic will set in way before then.

Total global oil reserves are estimated at 2,092 billion barrels, or 70 times the current production rate of about 30 billion barrels of oil a year. For comparison, cumulatively produced oil through 2015 amounted to 1,300 billion barrels.
U.S. Holds Most Recoverable Oil Reserves

BP's annual report on proved global oil reserves says that as of the end of 2013, Earth has nearly 1.688 trillion barrels of crude, which will last 53.3 years at current rates of extraction. This figure is 1.1 percent higher than that of the previous year.14 Jul 2014

The world has 53.3 years left to find an alternative to oil before current proved reserves run dry, according to BP. Of course, nations are finding new oil – meaning that number is rising – but new extraction methods are costly and can pose environmental threats.
How long will world's oil reserves last? 53 years, says BP

Going, going.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,gone, never to return again

Please note, it will "all" be gone in 53 years.

20 years ago, how long was it before it was all gone?

20 years ago we didn't have the science/technology we have today. But just between you and me, why should you or I care; we will be dead by then but then again; It's my grandchildren that I am concerned about.

How about you?

20 years ago we didn't have the science/technology we have today.

Wait one second!!!
Are you saying taking current, recoverable reserves and dividing by current annual usage to come up with a date (53 years) when all the oil will be gone is moronic because technology to recover oil is constantly improving????
Is that what you're trying to say?

Wait one second!!!

No, not seconds, 53 years.

Are you saying taking current, recoverable reserves and dividing by current annual usage to come up with a date (53 years) when all the oil will be gone
No I am not saying it, BP plc, formerly British Petroleum and BP Amoco, is a British multinational oil and gas company headquartered in London, England is saying it.

is moronic because technology to recover oil is constantly improving????

You are calling me stupid which I take as an offence which I will not forget
moronic
məˈrɒnɪk/Submit
adjectiveinformal
very foolish or stupid.
I will see you on the other side, this I can assure you

I am sure you hear me just fine old man

Wait one second!!!

No, not seconds, 53 years.

Are you saying taking current, recoverable reserves and dividing by current annual usage to come up with a date (53 years) when all the oil will be gone
No I am not saying it, BP plc, formerly British Petroleum and BP Amoco, is a British multinational oil and gas company headquartered in London, England is saying it.

is moronic because technology to recover oil is constantly improving????

You are calling me stupid which I take as an offence which I will not forget
moronic
məˈrɒnɪk/Submit
adjectiveinformal
very foolish or stupid.
I will see you on the other side, this I can assure you

I am sure you hear me just fine old man

If BP said all the oil will be gone in 53 years, they're dumber than you are.

You are calling me stupid

Truth hurts, eh?

In fact, during the past 10 years proven reserves have risen by 27 percent, or more than 350 billion barrels.

Darn, looks like BP really said during the past 10 years proven reserves have risen by more than 11 years worth of usage.

20 years ago we didn't have the science/technology we have today. But just between you and me, why should you or I care; we will be dead by then but then again; It's my grandchildren that I am concerned about.

How about you?

Technology will rise to the occasion. You complain about your grandchildren not having any fossil fuels, yet you want to stop using them now when they are the most efficient form of energy we have. Fossil fuels are the bridge to new energy systems, my bet is on hydrogen fuel cells, but regardless, fossil fuels will be supplanted by the next big thing... And wind and solar are not those big things

How about you?

Technology will rise to the occasion. You complain about your grandchildren not having any fossil fuels, yet you want to stop using them now when they are the most efficient form of energy we have. Fossil fuels are the bridge to new energy systems, my bet is on hydrogen fuel cells, but regardless, fossil fuels will be supplanted by the next big thing... And wind and solar are not those big things

Hydrogen is a pain. Methane fuel cells would be much better.

10 to 20 years from now oil will be 10 times higher, thanks to ever increasing Republican deficits. Buy solar shingles / panels today & they will be worth more every year & still be producing power 50+ years from now!

Fossil fuels are the bridge to new energy systems, my bet is on hydrogen fuel cells, but regardless, fossil fuels will be supplanted by the next big thing... And wind and solar are not those big things

I agree with you but having said that, it is in our best interest that we start looking for alternatives before we "have to" start looking for alternatives due to shortages.

Trump needs to mandate this change, but as you and I know; he won't.

How about you?

Possibly. To be honest I am open to both. What I do KNOW, is EV's (absent a Nicola Tesla broadcast energy system) are not the way to go.

Fossil fuels are the bridge to new energy systems, my bet is on hydrogen fuel cells, but regardless, fossil fuels will be supplanted by the next big thing... And wind and solar are not those big things

I agree with you but having said that, it is in our best interest that we start looking for alternatives before we "have to" start looking for alternatives due to shortages.

Trump needs to mandate this change, but as you and I know; he won't.

We are, what is BAD is for the government to step in and award money based on politics instead of science. That is what is happening now, that is both wasteful, and tragic at the same time.

In fact, during the past 10 years proven reserves have risen by 27 percent, or more than 350 billion barrels.

In fact is you failed to provide a link to support your claim.

I want to say, liar, liar, pants on fire but I won't cause I'm a gentleman

In fact is you failed to provide a link to support your claim.

Ummmm...it's from your link, idiot.

How about you?

Possibly. To be honest I am open to both. What I do KNOW, is EV's (absent a Nicola Tesla broadcast energy system) are not the way to go.

Since the supply of readily available methane is billions (trillions?) of times larger than the supply of readily available hydrogen...……..

EVs would be fine if they were powered by nuclear energy instead of coal.

How about you?

Since the supply of readily available methane is billions (trillions?) of times larger than the supply of readily available hydrogen...……..

EVs would be fine if they were powered by nuclear energy instead of coal.

Yup. Methane has a couple of advantages over hydrogen. However it also has a couple of big disads, namely its efficiency is pretty poor at the present tech level. Add to that its toxicity and there are problems to overcome. But they CAN be overcome.

What I do KNOW, is EV's (absent a Nicola Tesla broadcast energy system) are not the way to go.
The sun broadcast free energy every day! It's harvested by solar shingles / panels, turbines, & bio-fuel crops every day & used to propel our vehicles down the road every day!

Yeah, and it would take 72 days of sunlight to recharge your Tesla. You willing to wait that long to go on a drive?

Forum List

Back