Ohtani Signs With Dodgers

• Banned
"The Dodgers telephoned veteran reliever Joe Kelly this week to ask if he would surrender his uniform No. 17 to Ohtani."

"Kelly, who signed a one-year, $8 million contract with the Dodgers last week that has yet to be officially announced, informed Dodger officials that he’d be honored to switch uniform numbers for Ohtani. Ohtani has worn No. 17 since signing his first MLB contract in 2017 with the Los Angeles Angels."

Now they need to get a fellow pitcher from Japan that he can talk to without an interpreter.

Yamamoto
is considered to be the best pitcher in the world to have not already played in the majors. He's young, he's accomplished, and he has excellent command over a quality arsenal. It's no surprise, then, that multiple league sources have informed CBS Sports that they expect the bidding on his services to clear the $300 million mark. Should that come to fruition, Yamamoto would topple the previous record of $155 million established by Masahiro Tanaka. The Dodgers are certain to face stiff competition if they continue to attempt to land Yamamoto, with both the New York Yankees and Mets and the Boston Red Sox counted among interested parties.

There's a hope raging in Bumville tonight.

The dodgers have plenty of minor grade quality material to go after solid arms than just the Japanese wonder coming over.

10 years, $700 Million

The best in baseball and the richest in pay.

Another source said the "majority" of Ohtani's salary will be deferred in order to mitigate what the Dodgers are charged toward their competitive balance tax payroll on a yearly basis, giving them more freedom to add players over the life of Ohtani's contract. Those deferrals, according to the source, were Ohtani's idea.

10 years, $700 Million

The best in baseball and the richest in pay.

Looks to me like he fled a lousy team.
The Angels went 73-89, which was the same record as 2022, and it cost manager Phil Nevin his job. The club announced on Monday it is not bringing him back next season. General manager Perry Minasian spoke to the media on Tuesday and other changes could be coming to the staff.Oct 4, 2023

Takeaways from the Angels' 2023 season - MLB.com​

Ohtani had a 10 win 5 loss season. And he has about 40 hr per season. But that is a pile of cash. Funny if this was a businessman making that much, the press would revile him. But playing a game is fine. Amazing.

Looks to me like he fled a lousy team.
The Angels went 73-89, which was the same record as 2022, and it cost manager Phil Nevin his job. The club announced on Monday it is not bringing him back next season. General manager Perry Minasian spoke to the media on Tuesday and other changes could be coming to the staff.Oct 4, 2023

Takeaways from the Angels' 2023 season - MLB.com

the Angels were winning and were competitive until trout went down.....

the Angels were winning and were competitive until trout went down.....
The Dodgers while winning their division, did not win the World Series.

My thinking is based on my experience having owned the CA champion fastpitch team in 1978. My team took 2nd place in the national championship yet my top pitcher got the MVP award.

A team is far more than a pitcher. If this is not true, the Angels would be the world series champion.

Bad move for both LA & O. Other than big paycheck.

Right now he is a $70 million one year DH. Those are easy to get for a whole lot less. Currently Healing his arm. Dodgers had little pitching last year and got destroyed by ARIZ in the playoffs. Otani going from one screwed up org in Aniehm to a slightly less screwed up one? Shows he’s only after the money Or his advisors.

Dodgers have a crap on field manager too. They still actually play Heyweird in RF? Ugh! refresh my memory? The last won in 1988? Or maybe won a nuetral site china virus Tournament with no fans? I forget.

Bad move for both LA & O. Other than big paycheck.

Right now he is a $70 million one year DH. Those are easy to get for a whole lot less. Currently Healing his arm. Dodgers had little pitching last year and got destroyed by ARIZ in the playoffs. Otani going from one screwed up org in Aniehm to a slightly less screwed up one? Shows he’s only after the money Or his advisors.

Dodgers have a crap on field manager too. They still actually play Heyweird in RF? Ugh! refresh my memory? The last won in 1988? Or maybe won a nuetral site china virus Tournament with no fans? I forget.
He deferred much of the income. True the Dodgers later will pay him, but supposedly his arm is now fine.
What amuses me is the press belittles other high income makers but seems to bless this high income maker.

He deferred much of the income. True the Dodgers later will pay him, but supposedly his arm is now fine.
What amuses me is the press belittles other high income makers but seems to bless this high income maker.

i dont think he will pitch much all next season? Maybe only DH. No RF LF with long throws? No 1B with Freeman there.

LA has needed pitching for some time now. I guess they never run out of money? They can still go buy two starters?

i dont think he will pitch much all next season? Maybe only DH. No RF LF with long throws? No 1B with Freeman there.

LA has needed pitching for some time now. I guess they never run out of money? They can still go buy two starters?
I got an article on this today from the San Francisco Chronicle bemoaning the Giants did not sign him. And it says that he is restricted to being a DH for the coming season. Well maybe that is why he got his salary deferred. Still supposedly he can't be cut.

Probably a lot better suited to Yankee stadium with short RF fence and favorable calls galore. I think the Yankee pitching (at least relief) was good and improving?

Its sort of a gamble on the arm healing? A 40 HR DH is nice but is it worth $700million? That number is for 30 starts, Cy Young, MVP, WS and 300/40/110+ and Defense? For two $35 million dollar players. He ain’t gettin younger either.

But as a marketing ploy? They must know.

note: word was he would not go to LAD as not to crush the Angels heart. So much for that. I don’t like him for that Anymore.

note: he has no big game experience. Not tested in a game 5.

It’s crazy how little of an influence high elite players have on a baseball team.

Trout was considered the best player in baseball for years.. but barely to no playoffs.

Forum List

Back