Oh $h!t We Are Going to Die! The Yellowstone Super Volcano is About To Blow

Lewdog

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2016
Williamsburg, KY
They are trying to calm us down and tell us it isn't serious... but if you have seen the movie "2012" you know that when the super-volcano blows in Yellowstone we are all fucked.

"Yellowstone sits atop a volcano that created a vast crater. Its plateau hosts the world's most diverse and expansive continental hydrothermal systems, including the multicolored springs, mudpots and geysers for which the park is known.

While the Steamboat eruptions are unusual, what would be far more worrying would be the water in the hydrothermal systems drying up, which could indicate that the super hot magma deep below was making its way to the surface."

Unusual eruptions at world's largest active geyser in Yellowstone

They are trying to calm us down and tell us it isn't serious... but if you have seen the movie "2012" you know that when the super-volcano blows in Yellowstone we are all fucked.

"Yellowstone sits atop a volcano that created a vast crater. Its plateau hosts the world's most diverse and expansive continental hydrothermal systems, including the multicolored springs, mudpots and geysers for which the park is known.

While the Steamboat eruptions are unusual, what would be far more worrying would be the water in the hydrothermal systems drying up, which could indicate that the super hot magma deep below was making its way to the surface."

We will have at least a 100 year warning before the Big One, so don't worry about it.

giphy.gif

I hope it's soon. I've been waiting for this since I first heard about the "super volcano" in grade school. I was kinda hoping for a zombie apocalypse first, but this stupid geyser will have to do.

It made a good movie, but I don't think I would like living so close to it. I could blow a little bit at a time and just screw the area up slower. The crust is thin in that area of the Earth. I won't be around for the grand bang, or the smash and grab time of this Earth.

Toba Eruption Event ... 75,000 years ago a super volcano in Indonesia erupted and triggered a 10 year winter that reduced the global human population to less that 20,000.

Not a movie

nobody is going to die

not because of the super volcano...

This is a precursor to a hydro-thermal explosion not a volcanic one. Were actually overdue for one as they happen about once every 150 years and the last one was 250+ ago and it laid over trees for 75-100 miles. Lewis and Clark were the first to observe the damage and record what they saw.

Toba Eruption Event ... 75,000 years ago a super volcano in Indonesia erupted and triggered a 10 year winter that reduced the global human population to less that 20,000.

Not a movie
There should be a movie. It would be epic.

nobody is going to die

not because of the super volcano...
If Yellowstone were to volcanically erupt, the pyroclaustic flow would kill everything in a 100 mile radius within about 12 min.

Large rocks would be thrown 25 + miles. The ash cloud would encircle the earth in about 14 days, temps would drop 6 deg C within 2 weeks globally.

If Yellowstone erupted, life as we know it would cease. Within 2 years earths population could be reduced by 1/3-1/2 due to starvation and freezing to death. And it would most certainly herald the next glacial cycle of 90,000 years...

We will have at least a 100 year warning before the Big One, so don't worry about it.
Not so sure about that time line. Bob Smith (University of Utah) was in charge of the seismology and Yellowstone monitoring for 30 years and I believe he would disagree. In 2004-2009 we had a 3' crustal rise that caused Yellowstone lakes north thumb to almost drain. Crust displacement was moving rapidly and YVO had serious pucker factor going on when the 2009 quake swarm hit.

Since then a topographical mapping was done exposing the magma chamber to be shown 10x what the thought it was and that it is 90% filled. Crust fell back almost to pre-rise levels but I can attest that many were scared shitless at the time and they had just 2 years warning.

Since then they have tripled seismograph monitoring and crust rise/shift monitoring. There is still unsettled nervousness there even today.

If Yellowstone erupted, life as we know it would cease. Within 2 years earths population could be reduced by 1/3-1/2 due to starvation and freezing to death. And it would most certainly herald the next glacial cycle of 90,000 years...

And I quit smoking and drinking to live longer... :smoke::booze:

And I quit smoking and drinking to live longer... :smoke::booze:
You most likely will... Its that geological time scale thing.....100, 1000, 10,000 years etc... and us humans are lucky to make 90

You most likely will... Its that geological time scale thing.....100, 1000, 10,000 years etc... and us humans are lucky to make 90

Well B_B if the truth was to be known I did give up alcohol for health reasons, but tobacco was for financial reasons... I refused to pay the high sin tax on cigarettes and I was afraid I was going to shoot one of those little Nazi-anti smoking bastards... I have been rode hard and put up wet most of my life so when I go, ttfn...

Last edited:
January 04, 2011
Maps of Yellowstone Lake earthquake swarm (2008-2009) with a model of expansion to explain the ground movement.
A. Location of earthquakes at the north end of Yellowstone Lake, with the direction of spreading of the deep fracture modeled as a vertical volcanic dike showing seismic and ground displacement data. B. Model of expansion of a single dike into three segments with different rates (upper and lower) used to explain the modeled displacement and related seismic activity.

University of Utah researchers recently published two new articles in the journal Geophysical Research Letters that emphasize the active nature of the Yellowstone volcanic and hydrothermal system. The first article by Ph.D. candidate Jamie Farrell and colleagues summarizes research on the Yellowstone Lake swarm of late 2008 and early 2009. Besides a full summary of the characteristics of the swarm, they describe how the largest, deepest earthquake had an unusual volumetric (explosive) behavior, consistent with movement of fluid from depth and into the shallower hydrothermal system (less than 4 km or 3 miles deep).

In addition, careful analysis of the Yellowstone continuous GPS data revealed notable horizontal ground extension (up to 7 mm or 0.3 inches) on the surface consistent with expansion of a fracture beneath the lake. This sort of behavior was similar to Yellowstone's largest swarm in 1985 on the west side of the Yellowstone Plateau and may be more common than thought. The authors suggest that this style of behavior is key to understanding hydrothermal explosions, large earthquakes, and even volcanic eruptions.

img363.jpg

THEY THOUGHT WE HAD A RIP FRACTURE UNDER THE LAKE... The fun continued in 2011-2013 as well..

Source

Last edited:

Forum List

Back