Official Coronavirus Thread - Up to the minute Coronavirus map and count.

New York and New Jersey are at 10,500 new cases combined.

They are 60% of deaths.

They are just getting creamed.

The thinking is the East coast wasn't as careful due to their governors, but it's going to hit the other states, eventually. Trump is like a thermometer as he's backing off on what he said now. The shutdown was about shelter in place or lockdown, i.e. quarantine and sanitation or try to save the economy. Some people here still believe it's not as serious. There's still that debate, but the confirmed cases point to a different direction -- more deaths.
you don't know that at all. irresponsible dude.

Yes, I do. It's based on what has happened in Italy, Spain, China, and more; it's based on knowing how COVID-19 works and how it has stressed our medical system. We are behind flattening the curve. I posted a video on it from the doctors since your type won't believe other Pubs like me and how the virus does not know about our borders. I suppose you know how COVID-19 kills us now. A couple of days ago, this surgeon released another vid on why the numbers will go up. Watch it instead of getting your news in sound bites.

You know how it works? You know more than the experts

I know how the statistics work and learned how COVID-19 kills people as I said two days ago. What is happening in some places are that the deaths are overwhelming the medical staff. That means people with serious conditions get sent home with an oxygen tank. Also, more people die.

California should follow the East coast cities, but maybe we got shelter in place earlier and people, for the most part, stayed in. I dunno. The media hyped up the people who went to the parks and beaches over last weekend and to the rural areas to visit or stay in their vacation places. What does it mean? It means more people catch it and more people die.

I don't think just because you're young that you won't die. You stand a better chance of living, but you could also catch it again and then you'll have an underlying condition. We've seen people who had only a mild case, but there were those who had more severe cases, too. The numbers should all eventually fit into a bell curve. What we want to do is flatten the rate of people getting it or else the medical people in place get overwhelmed. Then, it's a disaster. We already had one with the testing, and even that's still not in place in California. Thus, people have it and are spreading it without knowing it.

The best thing to do is quarantine and sanitation, but even then COVID-19 cases will spread. The whole of US is trending up. It will take some time for quarantine to work and then we'll see the numbers go down. However, right now both confirmed cases and deaths will go up. It's just a matter of time so quarantine and sanitation will eventually take effect and the numbers start to trend down. It seems like you think that this isn't the case and for some reason it will be okay where you are. It may be, but that's not likely. We should all fit the bell curve eventually. Maybe your area will be lucky and not overwhelm the medical staff. However, no one knows that.

What’s funny, I live in lock down with my wife, and neither of us ate sick 17 days. We’d infect each other with the seriousness that if one of us had it, we’d give it to the other. I ain’t buying any of this

Since I'm a computer scientist, I like the testing and vaccine portions, but shutdown is unworkable:

bill-gates-aaas-1-630x418.jpg

'“There’s no question the United States missed the opportunity to get ahead of the novel coronavirus,” he wrote. “But the window for making important decisions hasn’t closed.”

Here’s a recap of his plan:
  • Shutdown: Allowing states to enact their own social distancing mandates is a “recipe for disaster” because people can travel across state lines and spread the virus, Gates wrote. “Until the case numbers start to go down across America — which could take 10 weeks or more — no one can continue business as usual or relax the shutdown,” he said. “Any confusion about this point will only extend the economic pain, raise the odds that the virus will return, and cause more deaths.”
  • Testing: Gates said more tests need to be made available and the resulting data should be aggregated “so we can quickly identify potential volunteers for clinical trials and know with confidence when it’s time to return to normal.” He said there should also be clear priorities for who gets tested, given the lack of test-kits. He also called out the self-swab developed by the Gates-backed Seattle Coronavirus Assessment Network as an example of an efficient testing method.
  • Vaccine: Gates said a vaccine can be created in less than 18 months with a data-based approach and rapid trials. The federal government should help build facilities where the vaccines will be made, he said.'
Shutdown would've been giving up the business sector in defeat right away. We are in trouble due to botched rollout of test kits and people not taking it seriously. The latter could be due to misinformation and there is still a wide difference of opinion of how dangerous the respiratory virus is. People do not know whether they should wear masks or not. We've had conficting news on how far the COVID-19 travels and is in the air. Everybody agreed on flattening the curve, but really it only affected the medical personnel. They had problems getting the equipment needed. Was this due to politics? I dunno.

So testing and vaccine is what we have left. We have to do the testing right, but it's still too slow. Why? What happened to 5000/day? 10000/day claims?

As for vaccine, it appears that individual companies are doing it on their own. I have no idea as to its coordination of what they've been finding.

Maybe the shutdown could not be helped.

Thoughts? What didn't work? What is working? Who/what areas are to blame?
What Americans needs right now is a dose of the truth from the top, not hunches, predictions, hopes, assumptions, and exaggerations. We have had plenty of that.

Last edited:
What Americans needs right now is a dose of the truth from the top, not hunches, predictions, hopes, assumptions, and exaggerations. We have had plenty of that.

Sure, but the best we can do right now is quarantine and sanitation because of no vaccine. It's like the 1918 flu pandemic again. Not the 2009 swine flu pandemic; we had the vaccine the same year it struck. Furthermore, the US is behind the virus because we screwed up the testing. That means the respiratory virus will spread more and more people will die. This is where we are now. We're just trying to contain the cases, but in some areas the medical staff cannot keep up. That means even more people will die. I don't know if we in California will be able to lessen the impact of people getting it. We are behind in the our testing and I wouldn't say out medical staff and support is any better than the East coast's. I have no idea how the quarantine and sanitation is going; it's still too early. Today, I saw helicopter patrols in our neighborhood. I guess they were looking for groups of people congregating. We had people walk around and neighbors talking, but nothing over ten people. I would like to see the use of drones for the homeless people and to break up crowds of over ten people, but have not seen it nor heard of it here. Until then, it's pretty boring, but I suppose it's better than getting COVID-19 and have to be quarantined in a room for possibly over forty days and be miserable or maybe end up going to the medical tent. Even now, one can't get in the hospital unless it's for a different emergency.

Today's count.

Total U.S. cases: 216,515

U.S. deaths: 5,119

The total number of U.S. cases has DOUBLED in four days.

The number of U.S. deaths has TRIPLED in four days.

Yesterday 35 states had less than 10 deaths. Many of them with 1 or 2.

This thing is concentrated in New York, New Jersey and some other cities.

That shows what can happen and where it hasn't happened.

But I don't get how New York is still dying so quickly.

We don't see recoveries in the graph I posted above (from the u.s.)

Right now, there are 694,000 "active" cases. That is what is key.

Of these the U.S. has 200,000.....1/2 of which are in New York + New Jersey

IOW: NY + NY = 1/7th of all active cases......globaly.

Last edited:
Since I'm a computer scientist, I like the testing and vaccine portions, but shutdown is unworkable:

bill-gates-aaas-1-630x418.jpg

'“There’s no question the United States missed the opportunity to get ahead of the novel coronavirus,” he wrote. “But the window for making important decisions hasn’t closed.”

Here’s a recap of his plan:
  • Shutdown: Allowing states to enact their own social distancing mandates is a “recipe for disaster” because people can travel across state lines and spread the virus, Gates wrote. “Until the case numbers start to go down across America — which could take 10 weeks or more — no one can continue business as usual or relax the shutdown,” he said. “Any confusion about this point will only extend the economic pain, raise the odds that the virus will return, and cause more deaths.”
  • Testing: Gates said more tests need to be made available and the resulting data should be aggregated “so we can quickly identify potential volunteers for clinical trials and know with confidence when it’s time to return to normal.” He said there should also be clear priorities for who gets tested, given the lack of test-kits. He also called out the self-swab developed by the Gates-backed Seattle Coronavirus Assessment Network as an example of an efficient testing method.
  • Vaccine: Gates said a vaccine can be created in less than 18 months with a data-based approach and rapid trials. The federal government should help build facilities where the vaccines will be made, he said.'
Shutdown would've been giving up the business sector in defeat right away. We are in trouble due to botched rollout of test kits and people not taking it seriously. The latter could be due to misinformation and there is still a wide difference of opinion of how dangerous the respiratory virus is. People do not know whether they should wear masks or not. We've had conficting news on how far the COVID-19 travels and is in the air. Everybody agreed on flattening the curve, but really it only affected the medical personnel. They had problems getting the equipment needed. Was this due to politics? I dunno.

So testing and vaccine is what we have left. We have to do the testing right, but it's still too slow. Why? What happened to 5000/day? 10000/day claims?

As for vaccine, it appears that individual companies are doing it on their own. I have no idea as to its coordination of what they've been finding.

Maybe the shutdown could not be helped.

Thoughts? What didn't work? What is working? Who/what areas are to blame?

In other words, leadership.

Today's count.

Total U.S. cases: 216,515

U.S. deaths: 5,119

The total number of U.S. cases has DOUBLED in four days.

The number of U.S. deaths has TRIPLED in four days.

Multiply the deaths by 100 to estimate how many people have it = 511, 900. Many of these people don't know they have it. You can see that we're still on the upswing as the testing hasn't caught up to confirmed.

As of end of day Eastern Time United States April 1, 2020:

Infection Totals by Country:

1. United States - 215,300
2. Italy - 110,574
3. Spain - 104,118
4. China - 81,554
5. Germany - 77,981
6. France - 56,989
7. Japan - 2,384

Infection Totals by U.S. State:

1. New York - 83,901
2. New Jersey - 22,255
3. California - 9,892
4. Florida - 7,773
5. Washington - 5,984
6. Pennsylvania - 5,805
7. West Virginia - 191

March 24, 2020 - United States - 54,916
March 25, 2020 - United States - 68,489 - 24.7% increase
March 26, 2020 - United States - 85,594 - 24.97% increase
March 27, 2020 - United States - 104,256 - 21.8% increase
March 28, 2020 - United States - 123,776 - 18.7% increase
March 29, 2020 - United States - 142,224 - 14.9% increase
March 30, 2020 - United States - 164,266 - 15.5% increase
March 31, 2020 - United States - 188,578 - 14.8% increase
April 1, 2020 - United States - 215,300 - 14.2% increase

siap, but a side story is Italy again. If Italy was a business, then it could be up for sale in a bankruptcy but who's gonna buy a sick country. I wish this was a terrible April Fool's joke.

"MILAN—In the town of Coccaglio, an hour’s drive east of here, the local nursing home lost over a third of its residents in March. None of the 24 people who died there were tested for the new coronavirus. Nor were the 38 people who died in another nursing home in the nearby town of Lodi.

These aren’t isolated incidents. Italy’s official death toll from the virus stands at 13,155, the most of any country in the world. But that number tells only part of the story because many people who die from the virus don’t make it to the hospital and are never tested.

In the areas worst hit by the pandemic, Italy is undercounting thousands of deaths caused by the virus, a Wall Street Journal analysis shows, indicating that the pandemic’s human toll may end up being much greater, and infections far more widespread, than official data indicate.

Bergamo, a city of around 120,000, has beenhit particularly hard by the coronavirus.Source: Bergamo city government (overall deaths,confirmed coronavirus deaths, average deaths overpast 10 years; WSJ (estimate of excess deaths amidcoronavirus)

The wider Bergamo province, which hasabout 1.1 million residents, has also beenheavily affected.Source: Bergamo provincial government (confirmedcoronavirus deaths); Eco di Bergamo and InTwig(overall deaths, estimate of excess deaths amidcoronavirus); Italian Statistics Agency (averagedeaths in March)*Estimate

Italy’s hidden death toll shows what could lie in store for the worst-hit areas of the U.S., Europe and many other countries in the weeks ahead if the coronavirus is not tamed fast. The burden that the pandemic puts on health-care systems can cause so many deaths that it is hard to gauge the full human cost."

Forum List

Back