Official Coronavirus Thread - Up to the minute Coronavirus map and count.

New York and New Jersey are still 50+% of the active cases.

How come China shows everyone recovered and we show practically nobody recovered.
China did not spend two months trying to decide on their response. China has "despotic" power at it's finger tips and does not have to contend with the checks and balances of a democratic system and a media that is quick to reveal any problems. Thus they sealed off transportation in and out of of the affected areas. They didn't ask the people to stay in doors. They put armed troops on the streets, setup checkpoints, that no one passed without permission. Unlike the US, people that tested positive for the virus were not sent home with a request to self-quarantine. In China they did not request, they ordered a quarantine and your dwelling was posted. Violation of quarantine was considered a crime against the people and treated as such.

The Chinese approach is hardly applicable to the US or for most of the world. South Korea's solution is far more applicable.

While I get that...

What I am asking is why we are not seeing more people recovered.

Armed guards don't speed up recovery.

What you might be saying is that we are only seeing the back of the curve (the few folks who were originally diagnosed) and since we've really only come up recently (number of cases).....well after a certain time lag...the recovered curve should start to follow ?
I believe recovery data is actually hospital discharges or reports from by the health department. Total and new case data come from positive tests. Since many if not most people that test positive recovery at home, their may be many recoveries not recorded. Although this seems reasonable, I have not seen anything that explains how this data is collected.

Last edited:
only 1000 more cases than yesterday. that's good.

And think this is showing the quarantine didn't work. That's all that's saying. you have no idea if the totals would have been any different because there wasn't any data to compare against. that's sad.

It is showing just the opposite you fucking dumbass...without it we would have have 10,000 or more new cases.

last time I saw it given COVID-19 had an Ro rate of 2.3...

Today's count.

U.S. Cases: 184,183

Total deaths: 3,721

About 800 deaths in the past 24 hours.
Of the 800 who died today
How many died solely attributable to Corona?
How many had serious to critical preexisting conditions?
How many were over 70? Over80?
What are my requested stats Nevet available?

After my questions are answered you would find that about 80 died solely as a result of Corona and were younger than 65.
How many times has America shut down over one thing alone that kills80 per day or a lot less?

Today's numbers are terrible.

They certainly are bucking trends as far as the U.S. is concerned. It looked new cases were flattening out.....but this is a bit of a step.

More deaths in one day than any day previous.

New York and New Jersey are 50%+ of new cases.

New York and New Jersey are 42% of all deaths.

Italy's cases look lower and deaths (generally) do too.

That is good news.

Spain broke a four day downward trend in cases. Bummer.

Today's count.

After my questions are answered you would find that about 80 died solely as a result of Corona and were younger than 65.
How many times has America shut down over one thing alone that kills80 per day or a lot less?
Idiot nutsacks like you should have to visit a hospital in one of the epicenters.

You have absolutely nothing benchmarked to make any such statement
I know you just tried to use a fancy word there, but you failed (of course). I said that experts are saying the distancing measures appear to be helping. Because they are saying that. That's a fact.

But you said the opposite. So again, where are you getting your info?

And think this is showing the quarantine didn't work. That's all that's saying. you have no idea if the totals would have been any different because there wasn't any data to compare against. that's sad.

23,533 new cases today. 709 new deaths today. So far.

Definitely the most casualties we have had in a single day. Probably the most new cases we have had in a single day.

That's terrible.

Definitely the most casualties we have had in a single day. Probably the most new cases we have had in a single day.

That's terrible.
So what? The rate of growth declined by 90%

They call that flattening out

Today's count.

No one dies solely due to Covid 19. When a Covid 19 patient dies, they die with Covid 19. Typically the lungs fill with fluids depriving the body of oxygen but it can happen in many ways, the patient may develop a bacterial pneumonia, die of heart attack, stroke, septicemia, etc. If a person's medical record shows no serious prexisting conditions, the attending physician will probably write covid 19 on the death certificate. However, cause of death is not simple. There's final, intermediate, underlying cause, etc. During an epidemic, the attending physician is not likely to send much time analyzing the cause of death when there are dozens of people in critical condition needing his attention.

IMHO, age and prexisting conditions are irrelevant when considering the seriousness of an epidemic because the implication is that one life is more important than another based on age and health.

Last edited:

That's terrible.

You're a fucking idiot.

That's terrible.

You're a fucking idiot.
Data is data

Today's count.

No one dies solely due to Covid 19. When a Covid 19 patient dies, they die with Covid 19. Typically the lungs fill with fluids depriving the body of oxygen but it can happen in many ways, the patient may develop a bacterial pneumonia, die of heart attack, stroke, septicemia, etc. If a person's medical record shows no serious prexisting conditions, the attending physician will write probably write covid 19 on the death certificate. However, cause of death is not simple. There's final, intermediate, underlying cause, etc. During an epidemic, the attending physician is not likely to send much time analyzing the cause of death when there are dozens of people in critical condition needing his attention.

IMHO, age and prexisting conditions are irrelevant when considering the seriousness of an epidemic because the implication is that one life is more important than another based on age and health.
Then why didn’t you say that in2009?

Today's count.

No one dies solely due to Covid 19. When a Covid 19 patient dies, they die with Covid 19. Typically the lungs fill with fluids depriving the body of oxygen but it can happen in many ways, the patient may develop a bacterial pneumonia, die of heart attack, stroke, septicemia, etc. If a person's medical record shows no serious prexisting conditions, the attending physician will write probably write covid 19 on the death certificate. However, cause of death is not simple. There's final, intermediate, underlying cause, etc. During an epidemic, the attending physician is not likely to send much time analyzing the cause of death when there are dozens of people in critical condition needing his attention.

Exactly, technically cause of death is cardiac arrest but unless it's a sudden trauma like getting your head blown off from three different directions it's commonly a concert of co-operating causes each stressing the system until it succumbs. For the purpose of definitions suffice to say a situation where the patient would not have died but for the appearance of COVID-19.

So doing the ratio-and-proportion division, it's still 2.2 mortality rate, as it's been for some days now. It's about 2.2 infections spread per person getting it, too, coincidentally. Which isn't real high, either number, but high enough to cause trouble. They may well stop it, though. Measles spreads much faster -- 17 more people per person infected, assuming an unvaccinated, susceptible population.
I agree it will be stopped but probably not for a couple of years. This is just the first outbreak of the disease. We can not irradiate it, because it has spread to widely. What we are doing now and hopefully the seasonality of the disease will reduce the number of new cases this summer so our hospitals and some segments of the economy can recover so the nation will be better prepared for the next major outbreak which will probably come in the Fall. Only when the nation reaches about 60% to 80% immunity will the battle be won. We can reach that level of immunity form a vaccine, natural immunity, and recoveries from the virus.

How many people died from the flu in 2019?

In total, the CDC estimates that up to 42.9 million people got sick during the 2018-2019 flu season, 647,000 people were hospitalized and 61,200 died.

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-...is-a-bigger-threat-to-the-us-than-coronavirus

The overall numbers are more for influenza, but you know it’s not the same.

It’s like comparing a mass shooting to auto accident deaths.
When comparing Covid 19 with the influenza of 2018-19, there is one huge difference. More than 99% of influenza virus tested since October 1, 2018, were susceptible to oseltamivir and peramivir, and all tested viruses were susceptible to zanamivir and baloxavir. Today the number of treatments found effective against Covid 19 is exactly zero.

All we can do with Covid 19 cases is treat the symptoms and hope for the best. This coupled with the fact that there is no vaccine, scares the shit out of people. We are doing the only thing we can do to fight the virus, social distancing which will reduce the number of new cases but will prove devastating to the economy.

Of course we could just let the virus run it's course which means getting to an immunity rate of about 60%. Without a vaccine, that could mean about 200 million cases in the US and a death total of about 4 million. Of course we are not going to do that so all we got now is social distancing and trying to survive what promises to be a terrible economy.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back