Official 2010 Baseball Thread

Here comes the 9th and the Reds have gone form 4-zip to getting creamed 4-7 and lucky it's only that.

:eusa_whistle:

sheesh

farking baseball, lol, oh well then. Still get to watch the Bungles get creamed for a few more months at least.

I'm sorry you're a reds fan :D

Texas doesn't want it.

But it'll be Lee in game 5, so the Rays better bring their bats.

Roy who?

Tim Lincecum fans a giants playoff record 14 batters in one game. Matt Cain baffles Braves, Sanchez owns Braves, Rookie Bumgarner grew up in his first season in the playoffs. Giants hold Braves to an 0.39 era in NLDS.

Giants also have highest postseason batting average so far. So you say the Giants will be overmatched eh, Paulie?

(not serious about the Roy who)

Roy who?

Tim Lincecum fans a giants playoff record 14 batters in one game. Matt Cain baffles Braves, Sanchez owns Braves, Rookie Bumgarner grew up in his first season in the playoffs. Giants hold Braves to an 0.39 era in NLDS.

Giants also have highest postseason batting average so far. So you say the Giants will be overmatched eh, Paulie?

You're lucky you put the not serious thing at the end :lol:

I saw the talking heads trying to pull that one all week. I don't care if you strike out 26 batters and the last one gets a hit. It still doesn't beat a no-hitter.

But anyway, I don't think your run total was the same. You can get all the hits you want, as long as you're not driving in runs.

You have the toughest task in the MLB playoffs right now, facing our pitching.

But our task is pretty tough too against yours. Whoever outpitches will win, it's that simple. I'm really looking forward to it. There's too much time off right now.

Saturday??

They should just move the damn schedule up accordingly.

Last edited:
Roy who?

I saw the talking heads trying to pull that one all week. I don't care if you strike out 26 batters and the last one gets a hit. It still doesn't beat a no-hitter.

But anyway, I don't think your run total was the same. You can get all the hits you want, as long as you're not driving in runs.

But our task is pretty tough too against yours. Whoever outpitches will win, it's that simple. I'm really looking forward to it. There's too much time off right now.

Saturday??

au contraire, the Giants are the only team to beat Oswalt(3 times), Halladay(chased in 4 innings), and Hamels this year.
However good that staff is, it's not better than our 4 starters who are historically hot even above the phillies.
No my friend, you have the toughest task ahead. The Giants are confident against the phillies. I'm sure the phillies are confident too. But the numbers don't lie. Jonathan Sanchez will be the death of you when we get one of those two games in Philly at least. The Phils don't hit lefties well and flounder against sanchez.

No my dear Paulie,
The Giants are the real favorite in this series.

Roy who?

Saturday??

au contraire, the Giants are the only team to beat Oswalt(3 times), Halladay(chased in 4 innings), and Hamels this year.
However good that staff is, it's not better than our 4 starters who are historically hot even above the phillies.
No my friend, you have the toughest task ahead. The Giants are confident against the phillies. I'm sure the phillies are confident too. But the numbers don't lie. Jonathan Sanchez will be the death of you when we get one of those two games in Philly at least. The Phils don't hit lefties well and flounder against sanchez.

No my dear Paulie,

If you guys beat us out, I will come back here and congratulate you on a job well done. I will even be rooting for you as long as Texas isn't in the WS.

But if we beat you, I'm going to make you cry :D

Saturday??

No my dear Paulie,

If you guys beat us out, I will come back here and congratulate you on a job well done. I will even be rooting for you as long as Texas isn't in the WS.

But if we beat you, I'm going to make you cry :D

I guess that's why we play the game, because none of this talk matters. I tell you what tho. you should warn some of those arrogant Phillies fans to have a little respect for their opponent. We are vastly respectful of the battle tested phillies, so we aren't taking them lightly. But if the Phillies players are like the majority of their boastful fans, they will probably get swept. It is a real possibility for either team with how talented their staffs are.
But I'm sure the Phillies didn't get where they are by taking their opponent for granted. I guess that's why they're on the field and the meatheads are in the stands. I was born in Philadelphia so I was glad when they won if the Giants couldn't. I was sad when they got screwed over by umps in the series against the Yanks.

But Phillie phans shouldn't take these fat years for granted. Remember the empty seats at memorial stadium. It could always happen again. it's a rare privilege to have your city represented in the playoffs. It seems only Yankee fans can actually take it for granted. Be carefull Philly or it could come back and bite you. I anticipate a 1-0 game in extra innings in game one. toss up as to who will win with two cy young winners on the mound.

Game 2 will go to the Giants because of Jonathan Sanchez dominance of the phillies and the Giants ownage of Oswalt.

Game 3 will go to the giants taking Cain over Hamels. a 4-3 game.

Game 4 will go to the phillies since Halladay will pitch again against the giants Bumgarner(but the kid is no walk in the park. He's highly tallented, smooth, competetive and as cool as the other side of the pillow at 21)

Beyond that I just can't predict.

I believe either team is capable of sweeping the other because their pitching has the potential to be lock down.

It's such an interesting series because both teams are so evenly matched. It will come down to pitching, especially bullpen pitching and 1 or 2 big homeruns each game. that's how the runs will be scored. I don't see 5 runs being scored in any of these games.

This series could end in a sweep of one team winning 4 one run games. But no matter if it goes 4 or seven. they will all be 2 run games or less.

Advantage matchups. Phillies vs. Giants:

Catcher:

Buster Posey .305 avg, 18hrs, 47 rbi added just before all star break, phenomenal defensive stud. throws out everyone who tries to steal. blocks everything. Manages game incredibly well. Pitching staff adores him. Likely rookie of the year. Hitting .375 in the playoffs.
vs.
Charlie Ruiz .302 avg, 8 hrs, 53 rbi. A respectable player. Excellent receiver, equally adored by his pitching staff.

advantage Buster Posey, Giants +1

3rd base:

Pablo Sandoval .268, 13 hrs, 63 rbi, a down year compared to his incredible season last year hitting .330,25, 90. But the panda is a wild card who can really carry a team. much like Jimmy Rollins when hot. But that is a big ? right now. is susceptible to defensive miscues, but decent defensively.
vs.
Placido Polanco ..298, 6, 52rbi, a serviceable big league third baseman. better defensively than sandoval and hit for a higher average but with less power.

Wash. giants remain +1

Shortstop. Interesting matchup
Juan Uribe .248 avg, 24 hrs, 85rbi. Had a down year for average, but a huge year in the clutch. All his biggest hits came with two outs or the giants trailing. Hit 3 walk off homers this year and drove in a ton of runs for a shortstop. solid defensively with a cannon arm. His experience is a huge plus having won a title with the White sox as their ss in 06.
vs.
Jimmy Rollins .241, 8 hrs, 41rbi. By all accounts had a poor year by his standards. But this is the playoffs so he may be able to turn it around. He's the Phillies Pablo Sandoval this year. Big ? for the phillies. Which Rollins will they see? the mvp or the fraction of himself in 2010. Due to the experience of Uribe, Rollins loses the matchup.
Advantage Giants now +2

2nd Base:
Freddy Sanchez .292, 7, 47. After a slow start coming back from wrist surgery hitting just .227 on Aug 1st, the 06 batting champ went berzerk in August and september hitting .410 to raise his average to .292 with 7 homers and 47 rbi. Likely to win the gold glove this year with his flawless defense. Also was huge in the clutch during the stretch run and in the nlds vs. Atlanta. His continued hot streak will be key if he can keep it up.
vs.
Chase Utley .275, 16 hrs, 65rbi. Had limited at bats this year due to injury but appears to be back to normal again which means as good as Freddy has been, still gives the edge to Utley because of his pure power and run driving ability. But freddy's no pushover and it's likely that defense may player a bigger role than offense in this series.
But I confess advantage Phillies. Giants ad down to +1

First Base:
Aubrey Huff .290, 26 hrs, 86 rbi. The veteran resurrected his career and was nothing short of fabulous in the clutch all year and in his first ever playoffs as well. Has played very solid defense all year and is the club leader. Couldn't have asked for more.
vs.

Ryan Howard .276, 31 hrs, 108. a solid season but by his standards a down year. Unfortunately he's still Ryan Howard so he gets the nod but not in a landslide.

Advantage Phillies. Now even.

Left Field:

Pat Burrell .266, 18 hrs, 57rbi in just 289 abs. Pat Burrell has been nothing short of spectacular from the moment his got to san francisco. His ability to hit the big three run homer has been so consistent. Remember the half year Ryan Howard had to win the rookie of the year? That's what he's done in his half year with the Giants. He's been unbelieveable. Clutch homers. Late homers. You guys know all about it.
vs
Raul Ibanez .275,16hrs, 83rbi. A down year for Ibanez. Unfortunately tho Ibanez is solid. you gotta take Burrell right now.

Advantage Giants +1

Centerfield

Andres Torres. .268, 16hr, 8 3bs, 43 2bs, 63rbi, 26sb, .347obp, .479slg, 507abs. Has been a huge success this year in the leadoff hole. Has been able to get on base, hit for power, in the clutch and distract pitchers with his stealing ability. speedy and solid defense with a good arm.

vs.

Shane Victorino .259, 18 hrs, 10 3bs, 26 2bs, 68rbi, 34sbs, .327 obp, 587 abs
These guys are virtually the same guy, though Torres has slightly better stats considering his at bats and drives the ball for extra bases a little better than Victorino. Victorino is proven and tested in the playoffs.

This is a wash. giants plus 1 still

right field

Cody Ross .269, 14hrs, 65 rbi. The happy go lucky guy has been unfazed by pressure in the playoffs and stretch drive with huge late homers to take the starting job away from Aaron rowand who had mighty struggles this year.

vs
Jason Werth. .296, 27hrs, 85rbi. The clear favorite.

advantage Phillies Team wash again

Phils starting pitching
vs
Giants starting pitching

Giants had better team era but in more pitcher friendly park so a wash.

Giants Bullpen
vs
Phillies Bullpen

Advantage Giants bullpen because of Brian Wilson alone.

That's why I have an overall plus one for the Giants. so if it's that close, it's anybody's game baby

and why do you hate Texas Paulie?

I don't. I said if the Giants beat us I'll root for them UNLESS Texas is there.

I like the Rangers a lot. I don't think there's a more deserving player of a ring than Hamilton.

Oh, and Halladay won't be pitching game 4. We're going with a 4-man. It would be Blanton.

You make too many predictions. That's what gets hearts broken. I got my WS in 2008, and if we don't win it won't hurt like it did before that.

You, on the other hand, are dying for one, I'm sure. Just when you think you've got the whole series figured out, it can blow up in your face.

This whole "past ownage" thing doesn't mean crap. Nothing is guaranteed.

Last edited:
Man I cant believe that batter waved that runner home.That is his own ballpark.He should know too well that the ball would have bounced back to Posada like it did.I just knew that mistake would come back and cost them the game.His teammates should all have beat the shit out of him after the game.I dont give the rangers a prayer of winning this series now.this was a game they had to have.

Man I cant believe that batter waved that runner home.That is his own ballpark.He should know too well that the ball would have bounced back to Posada like it did.I just knew that mistake would come back and cost them the game.His teammates should all have beat the shit out of him after the game.I dont give the rangers a prayer of winning this series now.this was a game they had to have.

That play was WAY less influential in the final score than when CJ Wilson hesitated breaking for 1st to cover on that Gardner grounder.

Or when Michael Young tried scooping that hot shot from A-rod to his side, instead of getting in front of it. A fucking major league third baseman in a playoff game and he doesn't put his body in front of the ball.

Those were actual fuck-ups that gave away runs.

That play was WAY less influential in the final score than when CJ Wilson hesitated breaking for 1st to cover on that Gardner grounder.

Or when Michael Young tried scooping that hot shot from A-rod to his side, instead of getting in front of it. A fucking major league third baseman in a playoff game and he doesn't put his body in front of the ball.

Those were actual fuck-ups that gave away runs.

yeah I knew it was a screwup there,that shoud have been a routine out and i could not believe it either that Young was such a coward that he wouldnt put his body in front of it like A-rod was willing to do when one was hit at him.

Man this is the playoffs.they always taught us in little league put your body in front of the ball so you can knock it down if it takes a bad hop. those fuck ups hurt them no doubt, but getting tagged out was the turning point.

You have GOT to capitalize and take advantage of a great opportunity right there.unless the rangers somehow turn it around and get a three to one lead,i wont watch the rest of this series. Thats why I wanted the rays to win because this team blew the chance to sweep that series when they were up two nothing.The Rays gave the yankees more problems in the regular season.they would not have made those kind of mistakes.

Game 1 went as swimmingly as possbible. Getting ready to watch game 2

So much for Sanchez's ownage of Philly.

You guys would be offensively bankrupt without Ross. You're going to need more contribution than that if you want to win this series. He hit 8th and 6th in the lineup, and every homer so far has been a solo.

I'm not gonna talk too much shit, because it's still early as hell, but you guys are in some trouble if this is all the offense you can muster. Howard's swinging the bat great right now whether it's lefties or righties. It's only a matter of time before he gets a hold of one, and guys are getting on base in front of him.

You guys would be offensively bankrupt without Ross. You're going to need more contribution than that if you want to win this series. He hit 8th and 6th in the lineup, and every homer so far has been a solo.

I'm not gonna talk too much shit, because it's still early as hell, but you guys are in some trouble if this is all the offense you can muster. Howard's swinging the bat great right now whether it's lefties or righties. It's only a matter of time before he gets a hold of one, and guys are getting on base in front of him.

Actually if you paid attention, Sanchez did a great job allowing only 1 earned run in 6 innings. the other scored on an error by Fontenot(who should not be starting over Pablo).

Sanchez did continue to own the Phillies collectively. But of course you are right. Cody Ross can't do it all himself.

Torres is killing us by refusing to put the ball in play and swinging for the fences in the leadoff spot. He's so fast why doesn't he just take a little swing out? Aubrey Huff finally put a good swing on the ball in the ninth but right at Victorino. Gotta get more outta him.

Buster Posey's been solid, either getting a walk or a hit or getting robbed by Victorino, but no ones on base in front of him.
A couple managerial mistakes in this game were #1 starting Fontenot instead of Pablo Sandoval(who has hit Oswalt well this year and has homerun power). The other was taking out lefty Jeremey Affelt who just struck out Howard, in order to turn Jimmy Rollins to the left side of the plate. I don't care what his numbers are. He's better from the left side of the plate. He's used to hitting left handed more often and is a dangerous hitter. Shoulda kept affelt in and pitched him agains the right handed Rollins.

Bottom line, Oswalt was on his game and there was no beating him last night. I guess you can't continue to own a great pitcher every time.

and the Giants bullpen has not done it's job. No big deal though. We knew we weren't gonna sweep, so we're happy drawing first blood and heading home for 3 in San Francisco where we are VERY tough to beat. It's a pretty good thing you guys won that game though or there would be early suicides in Philly before the series was even over.

On to the next level of attrition!!!!!!

Actually if you paid attention, Sanchez did a great job allowing only 1 earned run in 6 innings. the other scored on an error by Fontenot(who should not be starting over Pablo).

Sanchez did continue to own the Phillies collectively. But of course you are right. Cody Ross can't do it all himself.

Torres is killing us by refusing to put the ball in play and swinging for the fences in the leadoff spot. He's so fast why doesn't he just take a little swing out? Aubrey Huff finally put a good swing on the ball in the ninth but right at Victorino. Gotta get more outta him.

Buster Posey's been solid, either getting a walk or a hit or getting robbed by Victorino, but no ones on base in front of him.
A couple managerial mistakes in this game were #1 starting Fontenot instead of Pablo Sandoval(who has hit Oswalt well this year and has homerun power). The other was taking out lefty Jeremey Affelt who just struck out Howard, in order to turn Jimmy Rollins to the left side of the plate. I don't care what his numbers are. He's better from the left side of the plate. He's used to hitting left handed more often and is a dangerous hitter. Shoulda kept affelt in and pitched him agains the right handed Rollins.

Bottom line, Oswalt was on his game and there was no beating him last night. I guess you can't continue to own a great pitcher every time.

and the Giants bullpen has not done it's job. No big deal though. We knew we weren't gonna sweep, so we're happy drawing first blood and heading home for 3 in San Francisco where we are VERY tough to beat. It's a pretty good thing you guys won that game though or there would be early suicides in Philly before the series was even over.

On to the next level of attrition!!!!!!

Unless they changed the scoring on the pop up, it was scored a hit because several players had a shot at it and no one touched it, there wasn't a specific player to charge an error to. Those runs are earned. It was a stupid play, but it's still runs.

What gets me, and Buck mentioned this several times last night, is why the fuck is a pitcher barred from just catching that ball?

Also, his job is to direct traffic. He just stood there and didn't say a thing. So he's pretty responsible for those runs no matter how you look at it.

He was wild, but effectively wild as they say. Werth and Ibanez got themselves out several times with opportunities to pick up runs. I wouldn't necessarily say Sanchez baffled us. (I'm not giving you an inch here :lol:)

I like Hamels in SF, too. Bigger park, more room to allow a guy to possibly get a hold of one and not clear the fence. Sometimes he has a tendency to give up a bomb. Some of Ross's shots might not have made it out of AT&T.

It's going to be extremely difficult to beat Halladay twice, too. Meanwhile, Lincecum is due for a loss.

You know you're scared :D

Last edited:
Good thing Brian Cashman didn't pull the trigger on that Cliff Lee deal in July...I don't know where the Yankees would be without Ivan Nova and Eduardo Nunez

Forum List

Back