Obsessions with infantile fandoms, such as "Ghostbusters"

Questioner

Nov 26, 2019
I recall that when the latest "Ghostbusters" film was released, there was a bunch of obsession surrounding it by men and women-children on either side, similar to other fatuous fad movements and childish identitarian obessions for and by those whose standard or emotional intelligence arrested somewhere around the 6th grade.

Name whatever "film" you will, generally speaking, as far as the arts are concerned, TV, and film as an entire entity has never had a particularly good reputation, often referred to as the "idiot box", that's not to say there is no "good art" in TV or film, but compared to higher arts and subjects, such as pure mathematics and associated arts, it is rather silly and fatuous. And perhaps everyone has a few "childish" interests, which aren't always for the bad, but nevertheless...

I can understand a child or adolescent developing a serious obsession or infatuation with a TV show or character in an odd or bizarre degree, however, grown men and women being that obsessed or livid with a "TV show" or a movie is rather odd and strange in and of itself.

It goes without saying, that no one would equate "Ghostbusters", regardless of the rather talent-laking female remake, or even the "original" film, with a work of art, such as Michelangelo's creation of Adam anyway; even video games, as a genre now having a margin of mainstream popularity, is very arguably more mentally stimulating and "serious", such as in competitive esports than anything on TV or film, which is comparatibly mind-numbing and dull, akin to a mathematical game like Chess - especially in regards to those who treat it as a serious obsession or infatuation, to the point of irrationality being the precursor to the "fandoms" in question... but reading more into this, is likely not worth it at this point.

The "mythology, so to speak, in TV and film is nevertheless interesting to me, but I would venture that anyone considering it more worthy of a 'life' investment than casual pleasure is a bit... deluded, so to speak... ultimately, there are better substitutes...

New Topics

Forum List

Back