Obama's J.V. Team- ISIS Breaches US Military Advisers' Iraqi Base

Eagl 10771273
anting us to leave..............they wanted terms................but this could have been negotiated.

Utter nonsense. Jafaari just said that Iraqis don't want US troops in Iraq now. Why would they want them in 2011 when the DOD issued a report that said Iraq was ready to maintain internal security. Claiming something could have been negotiated that Iraq's Parliament would not approve is part of the fantasy world the right must create to trash the president in a time of war.

Eagl 10771273
anting us to leave..............they wanted terms................but this could have been negotiated.

Utter nonsense. Jafaari just said that Iraqis don't want US troops in Iraq now. Why would they want them in 2011 when the DOD issued a report that said Iraq was ready to maintain internal security. Claiming something could have been negotiated that Iraq's Parliament would not approve is part of the fantasy world the right must create to trash the president in a time of war.
Yet we have 2600 or so troops there now..............

Yet they are asking for our air strikes.............

They ask for support but don't say jack about the one's already there................seems fishy to me..................

And trash Obama for being REACTIVE instead of PROACTIVE............absolutely.

eagl 10771348
Just replying to the thread OP and TITLE...................Changes nothing.........

Of course you can't be bothered with the facts.
Splitting hairs..........JV compared to Al Qaeda..........yet many splintered from Al Qaeda as ISIS is more RADICAL.............Al Qaeda has said this...................

Why did he wait so long to take action.....................They were taking Iraq for a long time before they neared Bagdad.....................

He waited until he didn't have any more options...........even in the problems with the Kurds who were begging for help.

eagl 10771273
I don't want our people to stay there for FING ever...............but the CinC should have listened to the Generals that a Residual force should have stayed or what is happening now would happen.

No Generals or military advisers of any kind says Obama should leave US troops in Iraq without immunity from Iraqi courts and laws. Not a one. So there was no general to be listened to at all. You are making that up.

eagl 10771273
I don't want our people to stay there for FING ever...............but the CinC should have listened to the Generals that a Residual force should have stayed or what is happening now would happen.

No Generals or military advisers of any kind says Obama should leave US troops in Iraq without immunity from Iraqi courts and laws. Not a one. So there was no general to be listened to at all. You are making that up.
Under that condition of course not............but again that could have been negotiated..............No one wants our troops under Iraqi courts and laws...........not a chance...........................

There should have been a better push for alternative options.....................Other leaders over time have dealt with problems without throwing in the towel..................

I believe it was an OUT FOR OBAMA and that is all he wanted to begin with................The Generals did say without a residual force this could happen..................but of course they wouldn't agree to staying under Iraqi courts.......................

That would be nonsense.

The last American commander in Iraq recommended to the Obama administration that 23,000 U.S. troops remain to cement the victory, but no deal was ever reached with Baghdad, and all combat forces went home.

That stalemate has come back to haunt the country as al Qaeda-linked extremists, who had been defeated by 2011, have returned to Iraq in a terrorist campaign to capture huge swaths of territory in northern and western areas.

The extremists, known as the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL or ISIS, for Syria), are threatening Baghdad and could be on the verge of creating an enormous terrorist state that menaces the world.

Retired ArmyGen. John M. Keane, who advised commanders in Iraq and helped devise the 2007 troop surge, remembers how the U.S. achieved victory by working hand in hand with Iraq’s military to conduct pinpoint strikes. The effort was so effective that the enemy, al Qaedain Iraq, stopped sending killers into Iraq because they would be exterminated quickly.

In December 2011, the U.S. military left, led by ArmyGen. Lloyd J. Austin III, who now heads U.S. Central Command and is studying options for helping Baghdad survive absent U.S. combat troops.

The exit was completed too soon, Gen. Keane said.

“As we pulled out of Iraq in 2011, just think of this: We had all our intelligence capability there. We knew where the enemy was. We were flying drones. We’re tracking them. We have signals intelligence pouring in, eavesdropping on phone conversations and the rest of it. We’re using our counterterrorism forces to bang against these guys. We’re passing that information to the Iraqis so their commandos can do the same,” the general said.

After several years of reduced violence in Iraq, the Americans left.

“On a given day in 2011, that screen went blank. The Iraqis went from a significant amount of intelligence on what was taking place, and the screen just went blank,” Gen. Keane said.

Mosul and Tikrit.

Read more: Obama ignored general s pleas to keep American forces in Iraq - Washington Times
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

According to the men who helped calm the place down, and squash the Al Qaeda...........it was essential to give the Iraqi army the intel needed to control the country..............

When we pulled out they lost all of that intel and U.S. fire support.

We left their Intel hanging so to speak...............

Tell me they wouldn't have negotiated to keep the intel they needed to hold the country..................If you do, I'll never believe it anyway.................

Obama wanted a complete withdrawal............and that's it...............should have been staged and anything else is just defense of his list of EXCUSES for sucking as a CinC..............

Libya is all his baby..............and now Egypt is hitting ISIS in Libya........................

and I'd remind you that Egypt IGNORED OBAMA and rejected the Muslim Brotherhood in their country.........Outlawed them and destroyed THOUSANDS of SUPPLY TUNNELS..................

Egypt ignored OBAMA......................and they were right to do so.

Yet we have 2600 or so troops there now

In a non-combat role. Jafaari doesn't want US troops in a combat role now. He said he wanted advisers and trainers now. It's called respecting Iraq's sovereignty. You don't force combat troops into a country against that country's will unless you have reason to invade and destroy that country's government and army.

Yet we have 2600 or so troops there now

In a non-combat role. Jafaari doesn't want US troops in a combat role now. He said he wanted advisers and trainers now. It's called respecting Iraq's sovereignty. You don't force combat troops into a country against that country's will unless you have reason to invade and destroy that country's government and army.
He wants our intel and air power...............which was lost when we left completely there..............

Our forward spotters can lase targets and obliterate ISIS positions and they know it...................

They still have to retake their country...............

When will they be up to that task.................

Eagl 10771432
That stalemate has come back to haunt the country as al Qaeda-linked extremists, who had been defeated by 2011,

More

al Qaeda-linked extremists, we're not defeated in 2011. No one said they were defeated. Quit making things up as you go.,
The violence in Iraq had calmed down quite a bit in the last years of Bush and beginning years of Obama due to the military commanders that implemented the policy.

They, as I've posted, said that it was a mistake to fully withdraw.................

ISIS attack on Haditha Dam foiled - Iraqi News

(IraqiNews.com) On Thursday, Iraqi army forces foiled an attack by militants of the so-called Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) on Haditha Dam western Anbar, and were able to restore villages in Salahuddin province.

A spokesman for the Iraqi Ministry of Defense, Brigadier Tihssin Ibrahim said, ”The army force, the tribesmen and the people were able to thwart an ISIS attack, which inflicted big losses in the ranks the IS organization.

In Salahuddin province, the army was able to restore villages that were under the control of the Islamic State, on the road that links between the city of Tikrit, Salahuddin province, and Balad district.

Where did this Eagle go? Why is he back to the Iraqis being defeated without US troops in a combat role beside them. Americans dying to save Uraq when Iraqis want to defeat Daesh themselves with our air strikes and advisers out of harms way as much as possible? It seems weird for an American to want Americans back on the front lines.

Getting us out of it was. If he fucks up and gets us back into it, shame on him.

You consider Iraq in its present state an Obama Success Story?
You would consider it a failure because there are not tens of thousands of AMERICAN casualties piling up like the "successful" Bush gave you.
Home and Away Iraq and Afghanistan War Casualties - CNN.com

746 U.S. and Coalition casualties in Afghanistan during Bush.
2711 U.S. and Coalition casualties in Afghanistan during Obama.
3,457 U.S. and Coalition casualties Total to date.

4217 U.S. and Coalition casualties in Iraq during Bush.
585 U.S. and Coalition casualties in Iraq during Obama.
4802 U.S. and Coalition casualties in Iraq Total.

September 11 attacks - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
The September 11 attacks (also referred to as September 11,September 11th, or 9/11)[nb 1] were a series of four coordinatedterrorist attacks by the Islamic terrorist group al-Qaeda on theUnited States in New York City and the Washington, D.C., metropolitan area on Tuesday, September 11, 2001. The attacks killed 2,996 people and caused at least $10 billion in property and infrastructure damage.[2]
There is nothing the Right won't lie about by playing dumb. Your numbers are DEATHS only, not total CASUALTIES.

360 000 veterans may have brain injuries - USATODAY.com

The Pentagon's official figure for U.S. military war casualties of all kinds in Iraq and Afghanistan is about 33,000.
Actually your war casualties information is low from the sites I've visited. Total casualties, aka wounded are at around 50,000 coalition troops...........Doesn't include Contractor deaths and wounded.

I quoted the dead, and am not playing dumb on the casualties of War......................

and I put the data of why we went to War in the first place where almost 3,000 were killed in a matter of hours.

Wars have casualties.........No one is denying anything....................

So, are you happy now..............You think we just ignore our losses which is BS.............
Way to create a Straw Man!
I said the Right does not consider Obama a success in Iraq because he hasn't racked tens of thousands of American casualties like Bush did. You then denied there were tens of thousands by showing only deaths and when I corrected you, you tried to turn it on me.

ISIS attack on Haditha Dam foiled - Iraqi News

(IraqiNews.com) On Thursday, Iraqi army forces foiled an attack by militants of the so-called Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) on Haditha Dam western Anbar, and were able to restore villages in Salahuddin province.

A spokesman for the Iraqi Ministry of Defense, Brigadier Tihssin Ibrahim said, ”The army force, the tribesmen and the people were able to thwart an ISIS attack, which inflicted big losses in the ranks the IS organization.

In Salahuddin province, the army was able to restore villages that were under the control of the Islamic State, on the road that links between the city of Tikrit, Salahuddin province, and Balad district.

Where did this Eagle go? Why is he back to the Iraqis being defeated without US troops in a combat role beside them. Americans dying to save Uraq when Iraqis want to defeat Daesh themselves with our air strikes and advisers out of harms way as much as possible? It seems weird for an American to want Americans back on the front lines.
The Right want a daily American body count like Bush achieved.

Glad to see Obama's Bad News Bears ISIS JV team is of no concern. Gloing back to sleep now

-Geaux
-------------

ISIS Breaches US Military Advisers' Iraqi Base

As The Wall Street Journal reports,

U.S. officials said eight Islamic State militants struck a small building at the edge of the huge al-Asad Air Base before being repelled by Iraqi forces. All eight were killed.

Military officials said American and other coalition trainers were “several kilometers” away from the attack and under no direct threat. There are 400 U.S. Marines and other service members at the base.

An Iraqi security-force official said that at the time of the attack, Islamic State militants also were firing rockets and mortars at the base.

The attacks on the base came after Islamic State fighters moved against the nearby Iraqi town of al-Baghdadi earlier on Thursday. The militants, according to an Iraqi official, took control of a number of government buildings after the local police fled following a pair of suicide bombings. It isn’t clear how much of the town the militants control.

Friday’s assault was the first in which Islamic State forces sent an armed team to attack the base. U.S. military officials said Iraqi forces repelled the attack, which occurred at 7:20 a.m. Iraqi time on Friday, killing all eight attackers. The U.S. provided overhead surveillance for the Iraqi force.

“Eight guys going after al-Asad—that is a suicide mission. They have no chance,” said a U.S. defense official. “But they have an interest in al-Asad and I would venture to say they will have an interest anywhere we have people.”

The defense official said Islamic State fighters have been targeting the base because of the propaganda value of the attacks. Even ineffective attacks in the vicinity of the base have generated widespread newspaper and television headlines.

ISIS Breaches US Military Advisers Iraqi Base Zero Hedge
It was never a goal that the base wouldn't be attacked. ISIS has had control of territories in Iraq since before the US got involved. Obviously ISIS would at least make an attempt to cause damage to this base. I'm sure it would make for a great symbolic victory if they did, but they didn't now did they?

I'd like a Proactive CinC instead of the reactive one we have now...............

I'd liked to have had a response in the early stages...............to limit the problem from the onset instead of waiting until they had taken Northern Iraq.............

I'd liked to have seen negotiation to keep Intel measures in Iraq with some air power to give the Iraqi's the ability to put an early end to the problem

Instead we have a leader that waited until the shit had really hit the fan and ignored the military as he ignores them now................

eagl 10771673
They, as I've posted, said that it was a mistake to fully withdraw.................

That is a lie. Not one General agreed that US troops should remain without immunity. So the mistake is on the party that would not grant immunity. But it's a mistake they had every right to make. Bush failed to get a long term immunity deal and he was the dumbass that supposedly liberated Iraq. Now you and other Bush blinded right wingers want to blame Obama for failing to get what Bush himself couldn't get when he had the leverage. Bush set the date for immunity for our troops to run out. It was not Obama.

Forum List

Back