Obamacare Going After 1099ers

DarkFury

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2015
Sun, Sand And Palm Trees
I am writing this a person who employs 6 1099'ers. They just got letters from the ACHA or whatever you call it to tell them they HAD to show proof of APPROVED health care insurance OR buy into Obamacare.

Now I only have six private contractors {1099} and have no one on a 1040 because it cuts book keeping costs. A 1099 employer does NOT withold taxes
or social security and in my state even child support. That is up to the 1099er.

The sign up costs are ranging from 7 to 900 dollars with the monthlies at 4 to 500.
They CANNOT afford it. Now before you all chime in and say I should be paying more my insurance costs ARE higher because of who I hire.

See I do a lot of little insurance work, minor fire and flood repair and wind storm.
One person I hired did 18 months for selling pot because he got caught with a pound so nobody would hire him. And another had more then one to many DWI's so nobody would hire him. But I did and and my rates went up because of it.

So I am already paying extra for employing them. And the profit margin I make is not that big because I do it more because I am bored VS needing the money. So its cheaper to close shop and un-employ six people then it is to give raises or raise my rates.

I am writing this a person who employs 6 1099'ers. They just got letters from the ACHA or whatever you call it to tell them they HAD to show proof of APPROVED health care insurance OR buy into Obamacare.

Now I only have six private contractors {1099} and have no one on a 1040 because it cuts book keeping costs. A 1099 employer does NOT withold taxes
or social security and in my state even child support. That is up to the 1099er.

The sign up costs are ranging from 7 to 900 dollars with the monthlies at 4 to 500.
They CANNOT afford it. Now before you all chime in and say I should be paying more my insurance costs ARE higher because of who I hire.

See I do a lot of little insurance work, minor fire and flood repair and wind storm.
One person I hired did 18 months for selling pot because he got caught with a pound so nobody would hire him. And another had more then one to many DWI's so nobody would hire him. But I did and and my rates went up because of it.

So I am already paying extra for employing them. And the profit margin I make is not that big because I do it more because I am bored VS needing the money. So its cheaper to close shop and un-employ six people then it is to give raises or raise my rates.

There is no insurance called "Obamacare."

That's all you've got?

That's all you've got?

No, I've got a lot more, but unless he understands something that basic to the discussion, it's very difficult to continue.

As a 1099er myself, I'm very interested in seeing where he's going with this.

They have got to get the money to keep the thing afloat. The penalties should begin to kick in this year and many folks are going to have to pay.

Give them a working wage.....And how can you run hookers on 1099's?

They have got to get the money to keep the thing afloat. The penalties should begin to kick in this year and many folks are going to have to pay.

Yes, insurance companies will want payment of the premiums they charge for their product. And penalties will be required from those who decided "I'm gonna pay the penalty and not get insurance - that'll show Obama he's not the boss of me!"

It's the ostensible 1099 process described in the OP that's of interest to me.

Lots of companies abuse employees by calling them independent contractors when they do not fit the definition.

I wonder...
But show up later for work and get yer ass chewed out... Yet, the simplistic act like requiring your people to show up for work at a certain time and they are considered your employee's...

Lots of companies abuse employees by calling them independent contractors when they do not fit the definition.

I wonder...
But show up later for work and get yer ass chewed out... Yet, the simplistic act like requiring your people to show up for work at a certain time and they are considered your employee's...
Requiring set hours doesn't make them very independent

Sorry that you are going through this...have you looked into a Catastrophic health insurance plan?

How to Buy a Catastrophic Health Insurance Plan

Here's the part of the OP that intrigues me:

Apparently DarkFury's contractors "...got letters from the ACHA or whatever you call it..."

Why did his contractors receive letters? Standard procedure is for the employer to receive any and all tax information. So that's suspect from the get-go, though not nearly as amusing as the fact that he doesn't know or care about the actual name of the agency responsible.

Perhaps his absence from the thread means he's looking that up and he'll get back to us.

Sorry that you are going through this...have you looked into a Catastrophic health insurance plan?

Good advice for someone who's actually interested in purchasing insurance, but DarkFury's whole motivation is to avoid providing insurance to the people who work for him...that's why he's redesignated them as 1099ers and not employees.

I have just went over the numbers for about the 10th time. I need to shut down. Its the only smart thing to do. They are good people, really many in the middle of turning their lives around but I can't take on the extra and the folks I do the work for can't pay the extra.

He isn't going through anything. His independent contractors are figuring out they have to pay taxes

Good advice for someone who's actually interested in purchasing insurance, but DarkFury's whole motivation is to avoid providing insurance to the people who work for him...that's why he's redesignated them as 1099ers and not employees.
No I chose 1099 to save on book keeping and it saves a lot.
MY profits come from savings NOT higher prices.

I have just went over the numbers for about the 10th time. I need to shut down. Its the only smart thing to do. They are good people, really many in the middle of turning their lives around but I can't take on the extra and the folks I do the work for can't pay the extra.
Right. Shutting down a profitable business makes sense.

Forum List

Back