Obamacare Going After 1099ers

I am writing this a person who employs 6 1099'ers. They just got letters from the ACHA or whatever you call it to tell them they HAD to show proof of APPROVED health care insurance OR buy into Obamacare.

Now I only have six private contractors {1099} and have no one on a 1040 because it cuts book keeping costs. A 1099 employer does NOT withold taxes
or social security and in my state even child support. That is up to the 1099er.

The sign up costs are ranging from 7 to 900 dollars with the monthlies at 4 to 500.
They CANNOT afford it. Now before you all chime in and say I should be paying more my insurance costs ARE higher because of who I hire.

See I do a lot of little insurance work, minor fire and flood repair and wind storm.
One person I hired did 18 months for selling pot because he got caught with a pound so nobody would hire him. And another had more then one to many DWI's so nobody would hire him. But I did and and my rates went up because of it.

So I am already paying extra for employing them. And the profit margin I make is not that big because I do it more because I am bored VS needing the money. So its cheaper to close shop and un-employ six people then it is to give raises or raise my rates.
There is no insurance called "Obamacare."

And that non existent insurance is raising the premiums by most people by 45%. Some of them by 85% as reported today. Talk about screwing the middle class! You guys are great at that!

Gonna need some data for that.

It's been provided many, many times. Go look in the Obamacare thread.
You said the 85% was reported today.

My husband has been self insured, and the AFA has not lowered him payments, but at least if he breaks his leg or gets and illness and can't work, we can go in and lower his income and pay less for premiums. That is better than going on welfare is it not.
I have a question for the OP...................what state do you live in, and did the governor of your state accept or refuse the Medicaid expansion?

If you live in a state that refused, then the problem isn't the ACA, it's your governors desire to stop it, because if they accepted the Medicaid expansion, the price of insurance actually goes down.
I live in Arizona and have no idea what the Gov. did. I'm the guy who hires the 25 year old non grad looking to get a skill. I'm the guy who hires the first time offender looking to turn his life around. I'm the guy who hires the vet.

I'm NOT some big time contractor just a little guy trying to do what I can.
So again, how is it your problem that your independent contractors need insurance?
Its not really my problem its feeling bad that a GOOD group of folks have to suffer.

They are working and need to sign up and pay premiums, which is based on their income. You carry comp and liability don't you? Do they have a DBA?
If by comp you mean workman's comp NO. A sub contractor covers his own. As to liability as far as any wheeled equipment YES but with restrictions. My multi DWI sub contractor cannot at any time use equip that is road worthy which includes backhoe's or even bobcats.

I am writing this a person who employs 6 1099'ers. They just got letters from the ACHA or whatever you call it to tell them they HAD to show proof of APPROVED health care insurance OR buy into Obamacare.

Now I only have six private contractors {1099} and have no one on a 1040 because it cuts book keeping costs. A 1099 employer does NOT withold taxes
or social security and in my state even child support. That is up to the 1099er.

The sign up costs are ranging from 7 to 900 dollars with the monthlies at 4 to 500.
They CANNOT afford it. Now before you all chime in and say I should be paying more my insurance costs ARE higher because of who I hire.

See I do a lot of little insurance work, minor fire and flood repair and wind storm.
One person I hired did 18 months for selling pot because he got caught with a pound so nobody would hire him. And another had more then one to many DWI's so nobody would hire him. But I did and and my rates went up because of it.

So I am already paying extra for employing them. And the profit margin I make is not that big because I do it more because I am bored VS needing the money. So its cheaper to close shop and un-employ six people then it is to give raises or raise my rates.
No biggie....you rich bastard.....you can afford the extra expense.....Obama says.

My husband has been self insured, and the AFA has not lowered him payments, but at least if he breaks his leg or gets and illness and can't work, we can go in and lower his income and pay less for premiums. That is better than going on welfare is it not.
I have a question for the OP...................what state do you live in, and did the governor of your state accept or refuse the Medicaid expansion?

If you live in a state that refused, then the problem isn't the ACA, it's your governors desire to stop it, because if they accepted the Medicaid expansion, the price of insurance actually goes down.
I live in Arizona and have no idea what the Gov. did. I'm the guy who hires the 25 year old non grad looking to get a skill. I'm the guy who hires the first time offender looking to turn his life around. I'm the guy who hires the vet.

So again, how is it your problem that your independent contractors need insurance?
Its not really my problem its feeling bad that a GOOD group of folks have to suffer.

They are working and need to sign up and pay premiums, which is based on their income. You carry comp and liability don't you? Do they have a DBA?
If by comp you mean workman's comp NO. A sub contractor covers his own. As to liability as far as any wheeled equipment YES but with restrictions. My multi DWI sub contractor cannot at any time use equip that is road worthy which includes backhoe's or even bobcats.
Subcontractors are not eligible for workers' comp.

No biggie....you rich bastard.....you can afford the extra expense.....Obama says.

His story sounds plausible to you?

And that non existent insurance is raising the premiums by most people by 45%. Some of them by 85% as reported today. Talk about screwing the middle class! You guys are great at that!

Here's one of many.

Knock yourself out.

An Insurer Wants to Raise Its Obamacare Premiums by 85 Percent. Don't Sweat It.

But I am NOT rich nor are they. And they are being punished for NOT being rich.

My insurance was originally going to go up by over 80% till they dropped it down to a paltry 45% increase. All for less coverage and and higher copays. Add to that the fact that it will take a hospital stay to even begin to touch the deductable and you have a system that enriches the insurance companies and fucks over the middle class.

Just like Obama and his drones wanted.

Hey....hey....hey.....Obama said his stuff wouldn't cost us one single dime.

I also remember the Dems talking about only raising taxes on the wealthy......not the folks making less than a million dollars. I remember distinctly being told by experts here that only the rich would be effected.:deal:

Here's one of many.

Knock yourself out.

An Insurer Wants to Raise Its Obamacare Premiums by 85 Percent. Don't Sweat It.
And Martin Shkreli wanted to raise the price of a pharmaceutical by 5,000%.

There's a difference between insurers "wanting" to raise rates by 85% and "they're all absolutely, positively raising their rates by 85% - we're all doomed!"

One insurer raises rates, another maintains them at previous levels...guess what happens? Smart consumers change insurers. Uninformed consumers by into the panic. Enough consumers switch carriers, the greedy ones lose business, they lower their rates.

Isn't that what's known as "market forces"?

My insurance was originally going to go up by over 80% till they dropped it down to a paltry 45% increase. All for less coverage and and higher copays. Add to that the fact that it will take a hospital stay to even begin to touch the deductable and you have a system that enriches the insurance companies and fucks over the middle class.

There's only one insurer with only one tier in your state?

There is a fiscal "spot" where a contractor goes from 1099 to 1040. The elderly and disabled tend to buy within the 1099 employers because its cheaper.

What Obamacare or ACHA or whatever you want to call it is hurting the little guy and his/her employees. I found a niche that WAS workable to a group and now cost will PREVENT that group from getting service.

Six jobs may not seem like a lot to you but ONE job to them is important.

Hey....hey....hey.....Obama said his stuff wouldn't cost us one single dime.

I also remember the Dems talking about only raising taxes on the wealthy......not the folks making less than a million dollars. I remember distinctly being told by experts here that only the rich would be effected.:deal:

Without all the right wing obstruction and efforts to protect the rich, that's the only ones who would have been effected.

Here's the part of the OP that intrigues me:

Apparently DarkFury's contractors "...got letters from the ACHA or whatever you call it..."

Why did his contractors receive letters? Standard procedure is for the employer to receive any and all tax information. So that's suspect from the get-go, though not nearly as amusing as the fact that he doesn't know or care about the actual name of the agency responsible.

Perhaps his absence from the thread means he's looking that up and he'll get back to us.
But I am NOT an employer per law. I am a contractor with SUB contractors.

If your profit margin is such that you cannot increase your sub-contractors pay to offset their insurance expenses then you must do whatever is necessary to protect yourself and your business. Obamacare has forced many small businesses to close their doors, cut employee hours and make other adjustments. You will do whatever is in the best interest of yourself and your company.

Apparently DarkFury's contractors "...got letters from the ACHA or whatever you call it..."

Why did his contractors receive letters? Standard procedure is for the employer to receive any and all tax information. So that's suspect from the get-go, though not nearly as amusing as the fact that he doesn't know or care about the actual name of the agency responsible.

Perhaps his absence from the thread means he's looking that up and he'll get back to us.

If your profit margin is such that you cannot increase your sub-contractors pay to offset their insurance expenses then you must do whatever is necessary to protect yourself and your business. Obamacare has forced many small businesses to close their doors, cut employee hours and make other adjustments. You will do whatever is in the best interest of yourself and your company.
He might start by figuring out which agency ostensibly bypassed him and sent his subcontractors letters instead...

It's called compassion dimwit.

True, a self employed contractor without employees, needs only liability. That is why they should have health ins.

There is a fiscal "spot" where a contractor goes from 1099 to 1040. The elderly and disabled tend to buy within the 1099 employers because its cheaper.

What Obamacare or ACHA or whatever you want to call it is hurting the little guy and his/her employees. I found a niche that WAS workable to a group and now cost will PREVENT that group from getting service.

Six jobs may not seem like a lot to you but ONE job to them is important.

I submit you're the one who's arguing that six jobs are unimportant to you, since you're willing to let these people go without a twinge of conscience.

Then again, the details of your story don't add up, but the ongoing saga is fascinating.

He might start by figuring out which agency ostensibly bypassed him and sent his subcontractors letters instead...

No agency bypassed him. Do you not realize that these people are contractors themselves. For all intents and purposes these people are self-employed. The government looks to them.

Forum List

Back