Obama blames the rise of the machines for high unemployment.

I wasn't talking about ira's or the like. I was referring to entitlements. Because combining all your earnings would enable you more flexibility without the harsh cuts.

And why the lame attempts at insults mixed with superiority complex?
I may not be Harvard educated but my posts are simple enough to evaluate without resorting to childish retorts.

Question regarding your post...

An airline has 100 non flight personnel working for them...say 25 counter people....25 customer service people in the office making reservations.....50 luggage handlers.

Andf they cater to 1000 passengers a month

They institute the kisks and the auotmated phone system to take reservations....eliminating 20 of the 25 counter people and 20 of the 25 customer service people.

They still cater to the same 1000 passengers a month.

Where do they reposition those 40 employees that were replaced with technology?

Your problem here is you are looking at only one company, not the economy as a whole. Those 40 people might end up working for the company that took their jobs as they expand to fill the demand for more equipment to make companies more efficient. Unions oppose automation because they only think of themselves, not the whole country.

Nothing wrong with that, that is what they are supposed to do. Obama, as president, is supposed to have the opposite view. He should support policies that support economic growth for the whole country, even if they do immediate harm to someone who might vote for him.

This is laughable considering the unrelenting conservative assault on new technology in the field of energy.:lol:

I suspect that older Americans on a fixed income don't have $42,000 for a new Chevrolet Volt. And younger Americans with 3 or 4 kids couldn't get the whole family in one.

Go to New Jersey. That state prohibits self service gas. Drivers have to wait while some grumpy asshole who hates his job and despises the customers to take his sweet time making his way to the waiting motorists.
The state may require attendants to pump gas ,but there is no requirement to perform customer service....And here's the best part. These low skilled shit heads look at the customer cross eyed because they didn't get a tip...Fuck 'em.

are you serious?.....dam i would much rather pump my own gas......

Not quite.....

For TOO long, people have insisted there'll always be a conflict between business, government & labor; that they CAN'T work-together, successfully!

Germany's PROVING otherwise!!​

I'm sorry but I have no idea what your post has to do with obamas statement. I don't care about what they are doing in Germany. And we don't need govt and business working together, we need govt to get the hell out of our business.

You should really stop trying to be rational with Shaman, he is off his meds.

Meds?....the guy is a fucking Jerk.....him and that other Bombastic poster Skookers or something......should be told post normal or dont post at all....they think the Colors and giant Letters that they use has an effect on their posts......it does....just not the way they seem to think it does....

Are you kidding? I've posted threads about things I've thought Obama has gotten wrong, like extending the Bush tax cuts, our continued war in Afghanistan, and trying to include bat shit crazy republicans into policy.

For the first time in history..corporations are spending more on "machines" then they are on new hires. That shouldn't be concern? That shouldn't be addressed?

That might mean a re-tooling skill sets for many..which means..financing proper education programs to do that.

Conservatives are dead set against that. One of the issues holding up trade agreements with South Korea is a provision to re-train workers displaced by the pact. Who's against that? Conservatives in Congress..of course. They want the agreement without that provision.

It's no wonder that conservatives are pooh-poohing this issue.

All of those people that are making all of those machines that corporations are buying are employed.

And?

If you got three people making one machine that gets rid of 80 jobs..well you think that's a good thing?

Or do you think we as a people should be doing something to mitigate the impact of such a move.

Like retraining the 80 people?

Or..do just ignore the whole fucking thing and say it was those 80 people that are at fault for not continually going to school to upgrade their skills.

In other words..working 40 or more hours a week..and spending the rest in training.

Constantly.

Always.

Forever..until they die.

Do you really want an economy where no one is sure of long term employment?

Either you keep up with the world or it passes you by.

The days of going to work digging ditches for the same company until you retire never did exist.

I am an Electrical Engineer and I assure you that I take refresher courses once or twice a year to keep abreast of the rapidly changing technology. And, I have changed companies 4 times, twice because the companies were not staying competitive, and eventually they were bought out by one that was.

When exactly was that suggested?

Recognizing a problem is the first step in solving it.

Which is why conservatives can never solve problems.

But they have absolutely no trouble creating them.

come on Sallow.....have you been to California?.....a very Liberal State with Liberals in the majority who have played a big part in creating Cals problems as well as not coming up with a hell of a lot of plans to fix it....BECAUSE.....the words ....STOP FUCKING SPENDING.....does not resonate out here to well....

California's main problem is..hold on..to much democracy.

Yep.

They vote themselves some very nutty things...like never raising taxes.

Then they put people in jail for life for stealing video tapes.

That's expensive..and stupid.

come on Sallow.....have you been to California?.....a very Liberal State with Liberals in the majority who have played a big part in creating Cals problems as well as not coming up with a hell of a lot of plans to fix it....BECAUSE.....the words ....STOP FUCKING SPENDING.....does not resonate out here to well....

Yep.

and the majority of those voters are?.....dont be afraid to say it....

How many humans have been replaced by sutomated Telephone systems.
Press 1 for the pharmacy, press 2 for lumber, press 3 to hear a duck quack, etc.
None. The menu just helps route calls to the correct person.
How many people have been replaced by robots on auto assembly lines?
How many ditch diggers haver been replaced by backhoes, pay loaders and bulldozers?
How many people have been replaced by automatic irrigation systems on golf courses or sod farms?
Please. With his words from yesterday, Obama just confirmed how out of touch he actually is.

Lots of people have been replaced by robots on automobile assembly lines, but you're right that those other professionals are still driven by humans. It's interesting that manual tasks which machines should excel at are some of the least automated sectors.

However, make no mistake, automation does destroy jobs. Fifty years ago, you'd go into business and every officer of the firm would have a secretary. Today, they share one, maybe two. Similar trends exist across the entire economy.

That being said, the President is wrong to focus on this. The lack of jobs isn't due to machines. It's due to weak demand.

This is the problem of conservatism in general. It caters to the elite and shits on everyone else.

This is the way the conservative world works.

:lol:......and the Democrats dont?......is this Sallow posting here....or Dean in disguise?....

Traditionally and currently..that's the way it works.

Milton Friedman didn't have any trouble at all with bailing out financial institutions. He had problems with Regulations. Did you see Boehner on the floor crying and begging for TARP?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ-70rQD19M]YouTube - ‪CSPAN Sep 29 08 Boehner on TARP Bill‬‏[/ame]

Water works start at the end.:lol:

Yep.

Prop 13 was passed in 1978. The governor at the time was a Democrat, but he was preceded in office by eight years of Republican rule, and was followed by another 16. Except for 1964, the state had voted Republican in six straight presidential elections. Yeah, it's pretty hard to claim 1978 California was some liberal paradise.

Yep.

It's a pretty liberal state to be sure.

But they are more "liberatarian" style Liberals then say..New Yorkers are..

Which are more Daniel Moynihan style Liberals.

My girlfriend, who is pretty liberal (she designs for a packaging company) is nutty over taxes. She's a 15% flat tax advocate. To me that's pure lunacy.

This is the problem of conservatism in general. It caters to the elite and shits on everyone else.

This is the way the conservative world works.

:lol:......and the Democrats dont?......is this Sallow posting here....or Dean in disguise?....

Traditionally and currently..that's the way it works.

Milton Friedman didn't have any trouble at all with bailing out financial institutions. He had problems with Regulations. Did you see Boehner on the floor crying and begging for TARP?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ-70rQD19M]YouTube - ‪CSPAN Sep 29 08 Boehner on TARP Bill‬‏[/ame]

Water works start at the end.:lol:

when does he not cry?.....you got a video of that?.....:lol:

Yes, People choose price over service. It is hard to believe the "Full Service Gas Station Attendant" was one of the first customer service jobs I saw go away. I say bring them back.

large_service%20station%20venema%20main.jpg

Go to New Jersey. That state prohibits self service gas. Drivers have to wait while some grumpy asshole who hates his job and despises the customers to take his sweet time making his way to the waiting motorists.
The state may require attendants to pump gas ,but there is no requirement to perform customer service....And here's the best part. These low skilled shit heads look at the customer cross eyed because they didn't get a tip...Fuck 'em.

This is the way it was in the USA until the 1970s. Oregon still has the same law also.
I am aware on point two and am old enough( started driving in 1977 in NJ) to remember one guy pumped gas while another cleaned the windshield and checked the oil.

Question regarding your post...

An airline has 100 non flight personnel working for them...say 25 counter people....25 customer service people in the office making reservations.....50 luggage handlers.

Andf they cater to 1000 passengers a month

They institute the kisks and the auotmated phone system to take reservations....eliminating 20 of the 25 counter people and 20 of the 25 customer service people.

They still cater to the same 1000 passengers a month.

Where do they reposition those 40 employees that were replaced with technology?

Your problem here is you are looking at only one company, not the economy as a whole. Those 40 people might end up working for the company that took their jobs as they expand to fill the demand for more equipment to make companies more efficient. Unions oppose automation because they only think of themselves, not the whole country.

Nothing wrong with that, that is what they are supposed to do. Obama, as president, is supposed to have the opposite view. He should support policies that support economic growth for the whole country, even if they do immediate harm to someone who might vote for him.

This is laughable considering the unrelenting conservative assault on new technology in the field of energy.:lol:

Are you talking about the unrelenting assault on government corporate welfare? If not, you are making even less sense than usual.

I saw a story on this in the news earlier today. The president's point was absolutely correct.
So we should get rid of ATM's. E-Z Pass, self checkouts, self serve gasoline, back hoes bulldozers and everything else that increases efficiency and reduces costs....
You people are idiots.

Obama blamed ATM's..... The union representing New Jersey Turnpike Authority toll collectors protested the addition of more E-Z Pass lanes claiming the automated collections system took away jobs...Cry me a fucking river.If these people knew how to make change and processed more cars, there wouldn't be a need for E-Z Pass.
Automation? Where's the problem?

I'm sorry but I have no idea what your post has to do with obamas statement. I don't care about what they are doing in Germany. And we don't need govt and business working together, we need govt to get the hell out of our business.

You should really stop trying to be rational with Shaman, he is off his meds.

Meds?....the guy is a fucking Jerk.....him and that other Bombastic poster Skookers or something......should be told post normal or dont post at all....they think the Colors and giant Letters that they use has an effect on their posts......it does....just not the way they seem to think it does....

I just ignore them. I tried putting them on ignore, but seeing all those reminders I was ignoring him annoyed me. I prefer to exercise my God given free will and simply skip his posts entirely.

Yep.

Prop 13 was passed in 1978. The governor at the time was a Democrat, but he was preceded in office by eight years of Republican rule, and was followed by another 16. Except for 1964, the state had voted Republican in six straight presidential elections. Yeah, it's pretty hard to claim 1978 California was some liberal paradise.

what has the majority of the Voters in this State been the last 20-25 years?......why havent the Democrats in this State over turned that Prop if its so bad?..........ill tell you why Polk ....because it would effect them personally.....Democrats do own houses out here.....and like Republicans....they feel they pay enough fucking Taxes and Fees in this State....and yea.....California is a Liberal fucking Paradise.....at least some of them still think it is.....

Forum List

Back