NYT Investigation Reveals How One Typo Allowed Russians To Gain Access To DNC Emails

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
The Perfect Weapon: How Russian Cyberpower Invaded the U.S.

WASHINGTON — When Special Agent Adrian Hawkins of the Federal Bureau of Investigation called the Democratic National Committee in September 2015 to pass along some troubling news about its computer network, he was transferred, naturally, to the help desk.

His message was brief, if alarming. At least one computer system belonging to the D.N.C. had been compromised by hackers federal investigators had named “the Dukes,” a cyberespionage team linked to the Russian government.

The F.B.I. knew it well: The bureau had spent the last few years trying to kick the Dukes out of the unclassified email systems of the White House, the State Department and even the Joint Chiefs of Staff, one of the government’s best-protected networks.

Yared Tamene, the tech-support contractor at the D.N.C. who fielded the call, was no expert in cyberattacks. His first moves were to check Google for “the Dukes” and conduct a cursory search of the D.N.C. computer system logs to look for hints of such a cyberintrusion. By his own account, he did not look too hard even after Special Agent Hawkins called back repeatedly over the next several weeks — in part because he wasn’t certain the caller was a real F.B.I. agent and not an impostor.

“I had no way of differentiating the call I just received from a prank call,” Mr. Tamene wrote in an internal memo, obtained by The New York Times, that detailed his contact with the F.B.I.

It was the cryptic first sign of a cyberespionage and information-warfare campaign devised to disrupt the 2016 presidential election, the first such attempt by a foreign power in American history. What started as an information-gathering operation, intelligence officials believe, ultimately morphed into an effort to harm one candidate, Hillary Clinton, and tip the election to her opponent, Donald J. Trump.

Like another famous American election scandal, it started with a break-in at the D.N.C. The first time, 44 years ago at the committee’s old offices in the Watergate complex, the burglars planted listening devices and jimmied a filing cabinet. This time, the burglary was conducted from afar, directed by the Kremlin, with spear-phishing emails and zeros and ones.

Much More: NYT Investigation Reveals How One Typo Allowed Russians To Gain Access To DNC Emails

So, the F.B.I. knew what was going on. Why is the F.B.I. trying to backpedle?

A lot of butt-hurt libs are running bunch of stupid threads about “Trump connections to Russians”, I suggest to start running some threads about obvious Hillary’s connections to Saudis, Qatar, Soros. If she won, she would be “protecting and serving” their interests, not American people's. And their interest are chaos inside and outside of your country.
Why Did the Saudi Regime and Other Gulf Tyrannies Donate Millions to the Clinton Foundation?

“Most of the experts I’ve spoken to conclude, looking at the various facts regarding Huma–her rise, where she came from, her family background, her various connections–conclude that she is most likely a Saudi spy, which is my own conclusion.”
Roger Stone: Clinton Aide Huma Abedin 'Most Likely a Saudi Spy'

Huma Abedin worked at Muslim journal that opposed women’s rights | New York Post

Is Huma Abedin Hillary Clinton’s Secret Weapon or Her Next Big Problem?

And on the top of everything take a look at this cherry on the cake:
Assange: Clinton & ISIS funded by same money, Trump won’t be allowed to win (JOHN PILGER EXCLUSIVE)

Believe or not, but after Trump is in office, even liberals will notice that they are living in a much richer and much safer country.

WASHINGTON — When Special Agent Adrian Hawkins of the Federal Bureau of Investigation called the Democratic National Committee in September 2015 to pass along some troubling news about its computer network, he was transferred, naturally, to the help desk.

His message was brief, if alarming. At least one computer system belonging to the D.N.C. had been compromised by hackers federal investigators had named “the Dukes,” a cyberespionage team linked to the Russian government.

The F.B.I. knew it well: The bureau had spent the last few years trying to kick the Dukes out of the unclassified email systems of the White House, the State Department and even the Joint Chiefs of Staff, one of the government’s best-protected networks.

Yared Tamene, the tech-support contractor at the D.N.C. who fielded the call, was no expert in cyberattacks. His first moves were to check Google for “the Dukes” and conduct a cursory search of the D.N.C. computer system logs to look for hints of such a cyberintrusion. By his own account, he did not look too hard even after Special Agent Hawkins called back repeatedly over the next several weeks — in part because he wasn’t certain the caller was a real F.B.I. agent and not an impostor.

“I had no way of differentiating the call I just received from a prank call,” Mr. Tamene wrote in an internal memo, obtained by The New York Times, that detailed his contact with the F.B.I.

It was the cryptic first sign of a cyberespionage and information-warfare campaign devised to disrupt the 2016 presidential election, the first such attempt by a foreign power in American history. What started as an information-gathering operation, intelligence officials believe, ultimately morphed into an effort to harm one candidate, Hillary Clinton, and tip the election to her opponent, Donald J. Trump.

Like another famous American election scandal, it started with a break-in at the D.N.C. The first time, 44 years ago at the committee’s old offices in the Watergate complex, the burglars planted listening devices and jimmied a filing cabinet. This time, the burglary was conducted from afar, directed by the Kremlin, with spear-phishing emails and zeros and ones.

Much More: NYT Investigation Reveals How One Typo Allowed Russians To Gain Access To DNC Emails

^ Paid Internet Troll

The FBI is apparently Trump country. Out of all our agencies they stand to benefit most from a Trump administration's inevitable move towards an expansion of domestic surveillance, infiltration, and overall investigative activity on "suspicious" groups.

Just as the nyt, the huff, wp, etc, etc are.

^ Paid Internet Troll

The FBI is apparently Trump country. Out of all our agencies they stand to benefit most from a Trump administration's inevitable move towards an expansion of domestic surveillance, infiltration, and overall investigative activity on "suspicious" groups.

I agree! Once again the FBI is showing its partisanship.

Julian Assange, the dude who knows the identities of those who supply Wikileaks with material said his sources take risks. That is why he laughs at the suggestion by the fake news media such as CNN, MSNBC and everyone on FOX but Hannity, and now the Obama controlled CIA that Russia hacked the Podesta email, which the Crooked Hillary supporters felt were of no danger to their campaign anyway at the time of their release.

Last edited:
Maybe the lyrics on this can be tweaked for the Crooked Hillary Butthurt Brigade.

From what I have heard the Russians are worse than the Chinese anymore. They're trying to get into everything, and unfortunately they have the means, and the knowledge to do it. I really don't know what it's going to take to keep cyber attacks out of the equation? We upgrade our security systems all of the time, then they figure out a way to get through it. It's a 24/7 cat and mouse game.

But this is egregious, because by doing what they did, we have their President, the one they wanted, Donald Trump. From the appointments he is making--they're probably really celebrating right now.

We'll see if a Republican congress is going to jump down the drain with Trump, by confirming some of these appointments. But that's why it is so critical to see how, and how much influence Russia really had in this election cycle and hopefully catch and prosecute those whom were involved in it.

Frankly, I am very suspicious of the FBI, especially after what the FBI director James Comey did. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to eventually learn that this was done deliberately in collusion & cooperation with the FBI.
Meet Donald Trump’s Top FBI Fanboy

FBI-Director_Comey_Cartoon_Hats.jpg

Huma, Clinton's aid is still saying she has no idea how duplicates of her emails ended up on her x-husbands laptop who was being investigated out of the FBI office in New York City. I doubt the Russians did that.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back