NRA Board Member Blames 'Sympathy Factor of Kids Getting Killed' for Possibility of Gun Control Laws

The numbers may be small but the emotional effect isnt. No one freaks out over someone getting killed by a lawn mower. Its more a a curiosity. Kill a couple of kids and youre messing with a natural instinctive desire to protect.

Tightening gun laws wont prevent school shootings. Just make it harder.

Tightening gun laws wont prevent school shootings. Just make it harder

It won't make it harder......it didn't make it harder for the terrorists in France....they didn't use AR-15 semi auto, civilian rifles......they used fully automatic military rifles......in a country where they are completely illegal and banned....and fully automatic military rifles are the status symbol of common French criminals.....

Just think how easy it would have been if they weren't banned and illegal right?

Just as easy as it is to illegally purchase a handgun in Chicago or Baltimore, and murder someone I suppose.

They should have more bans and laws there, shouldn't they?
Ok so if its harder to get the gun compared to if they are legal why are you whining?

It's not my whine because I don't live in those cities, therefore I really have no skin in the game. But one would think you'd be a little more concerned about your own brothers and sisters being gunned down there, and maybe try to figure out what the problem is.

I'll give you a hint: It's not gun laws. They already have plenty of those.
I already know what the issue and you're right...its not just guns. The point still is if the guns were harder to get they couldnt be used.

It won't make it harder......it didn't make it harder for the terrorists in France....they didn't use AR-15 semi auto, civilian rifles......they used fully automatic military rifles......in a country where they are completely illegal and banned....and fully automatic military rifles are the status symbol of common French criminals.....

Just think how easy it would have been if they weren't banned and illegal right?

Not much harder, considering the terrorists were on terrorist watch lists and many of them were already convicted felons too......and they still got the guns....imagine if they targeted a school instead of a cartoon office or a rock concert....which French gun control laws would have kept the kids safe?
Thats the point. Its harder to get them because they are banned. If they are legal they sale like hot cakes because law abiding suppliers have no fear of selling them.
Law abiding suppliers do not sell illegal guns.
Who said they did?
What do you propose they fear?

Not much harder, considering the terrorists were on terrorist watch lists and many of them were already convicted felons too......and they still got the guns....imagine if they targeted a school instead of a cartoon office or a rock concert....which French gun control laws would have kept the kids safe?
Thats the point. Its harder to get them because they are banned. If they are legal they sale like hot cakes because law abiding suppliers have no fear of selling them.
Who said they did?
You didnt answer my question. Why not?

Just as easy as it is to illegally purchase a handgun in Chicago or Baltimore, and murder someone I suppose.

Ok so if its harder to get the gun compared to if they are legal why are you whining?

It's not my whine because I don't live in those cities, therefore I really have no skin in the game. But one would think you'd be a little more concerned about your own brothers and sisters being gunned down there, and maybe try to figure out what the problem is.

I already know what the issue and you're right...its not just guns. The point still is if the guns were harder to get they couldnt be used.

But they already are harder to get. And even if they were impossible to get, do you think that miraculously, people wouldn't be killing other people?

No, we have a systematic problem here. But it's not a conservative, Republican, or NRA problem, now is it?

Who said they did?
You said law abiding gun suppliers have no fear of selling legal guns. I said they don't sell illegal guns. What then, do they have to fear?

But they already are harder to get. And even if they were impossible to get, do you think that miraculously, people wouldn't be killing other people?

No, we have a systematic problem here.
We already agree they are harder to get. The opposite is how many more people would be dead if they were legal to get?

I say again banning weapons will only make it harder. Before guns were invented people killed each other. The point is that guns make it easier.

Who said they did?
You said law abiding gun suppliers have no fear of selling legal guns. I said they don't sell illegal guns. What then, do they have to fear?
I know what I said. I asked you who said law abiding gun suppliers sold illegal weapons? You keep ducking the question. Who told you that?

Who said they did?
I know what I said. I asked you who said law abiding gun suppliers sold illegal weapons? You keep ducking the question. Who told you that?
I told you that. Then I asked you a question which you have dodged ever since.

Who said they did?
Why would you tell me law abiding gun suppliers sell illegal weapons? You do realize that is the definition of not being law abiding dont you?

Why would you tell me law abiding gun suppliers sell illegal weapons? You do realize that is the definition of not being law abiding dont you?
Link. :)

No thanks. I just ate.

This problem is so small
And it affects other people.
Nah. Not really.

It doesn't really affect anyone. That is really the point.

The only people it affects are the ones that have a steady consumption of TV, mainstream print media, and social networking news. If you went camping far away and cut yourself off from that shit, you would not be affected at all by it.

Out of sight, out of mind.

No thanks. I just ate.
'Course that's always true. :)

It doesn't really affect anyone. The only people it affects are the ones that have a steady consumption of TV, mainstream print media, and social networking news.
So many dead nonentities, none of whom you knew or cared about, so they never existed.

Doing something stupid like gun control quickly out of "sympathy" is another way of saying knee jerk reaction.

Look what happen in the UK and Australia. Those people lost their liberty over mindless knee jerk reactions to tragic events.

Look what happen in the UK and Australia. Those people lost their liberty over mindless knee jerk reactions to tragic events.
And other people regained the liberty to keep their lives. Not that you care about a small thing like that.

Last edited:
Agreed.

It's an issue of balance though. It is an issue of understanding the magnitude of the problem. It really isn't that big of a problem. The media over-hypes it, so it seems like it is a huge problem when really, it isn't. Sure, it is a tragedy when it occures, but it doesn't necessitate the infringement of the rights of millions of people.

This problem is so small, does it justify creating laws that will affect millions and millions of people over something so infinitesimally small?

There are much better ways to stop school shootings than gun control laws.

The governing elites just would prefer that the population be disarmed though.

If these elites pass gun control laws, do you think these laws would ever apply to private security companies that provide them protection? Seriously?
The numbers may be small but the emotional effect isnt. No one freaks out over someone getting killed by a lawn mower. Its more a a curiosity. Kill a couple of kids and youre messing with a natural instinctive desire to protect.

Tightening gun laws wont prevent school shootings. Just make it harder.

And yet, no. It hasn't stopped criminals in any of those countries from getting guns...easily.....it has kept normal, law abiding people from having guns...and their crime rates have gone up, especially their violent crime rates......

Doing something stupid like gun control quickly out of "sympathy" is another way of saying knee jerk reaction.

And now their violent crime rates and their gun crime rates are going up.....our rates are going down.

Forum List

Back