Now This I might buy.

Even if the range is overstated. Drive a mile to work, car is parked in sun all day, no gas for me, if it works. Cordless car. Think Mitsubishi was working on an electric with solar on roof and hood but havent seen anything on it for awhile.
Aptera is back with a new EV it says doesn’t need charging - The Verge
Guess you havent been watching the news about electric cars.

Electric car batteries are catching fire and that could be a big turnoff to buyers - CNN

Electric car batteries that catch fire "COULD" be a big turnoff to buyers...Go figure......
havent seen a Tesla fire lately. Lot of em running around though I probably wouldnt buy one. Not enough charging infrastructure to be interested.

I've always said the concept of charging stations and/or battery swap stations is wrongheaded. That's not the right approach. 80% (I believe that figure is still accurate) of all our driving is local --- commuting and everyday errands, easily within the reach of a typical battery car. So you use it that way. When the occasion comes that you actually have to go hundreds of miles, you use the traditional ICE car. Appropriate technology for the occasion.

Comparing ranges between ICE and EV is apples to oranges. Two different technologies for two different uses.
If they dont get outlawed

If what don't get outlawed? ICE cars?

The whole idea is that if local commuting was done with EVs that knocks out (up to) 80% of EV exhaust. If you knock out that much EV exhaust, then you no longer have the smog problem you used to have.
yeah...green new deal and all ya voted for

I didn't see a vote on that but whatever -- the fact remains, if some technology is no longer used because it's outlived its usefulness, then there's no point in "outlawing" it.
ICE is far from the outlived classification, wont stop dumbass libs though, market be damned

Did you in fact read ANYTHING I posted?

Even if the range is overstated. Drive a mile to work, car is parked in sun all day, no gas for me, if it works. Cordless car. Think Mitsubishi was working on an electric with solar on roof and hood but havent seen anything on it for awhile.

Electric car batteries are catching fire and that could be a big turnoff to buyers - CNN

Electric car batteries that catch fire "COULD" be a big turnoff to buyers...Go figure......
havent seen a Tesla fire lately. Lot of em running around though I probably wouldnt buy one. Not enough charging infrastructure to be interested.

I've always said the concept of charging stations and/or battery swap stations is wrongheaded. That's not the right approach. 80% (I believe that figure is still accurate) of all our driving is local --- commuting and everyday errands, easily within the reach of a typical battery car. So you use it that way. When the occasion comes that you actually have to go hundreds of miles, you use the traditional ICE car. Appropriate technology for the occasion.

Comparing ranges between ICE and EV is apples to oranges. Two different technologies for two different uses.

I don't think most people can afford to buy another car just for longer traveling.

I don't think most people can afford to buy another car just for longer traveling.

Since that longer travelling is by definition infrequent, you rent.

I like to have an xtra parked in front in case trouble with the other requires shop time, or just as a winter runner to keep miles and rust off the better vehicle. Fact I just sold what was going to be my slush car this yr. 1st daughters first car, 2000 Park AVe with 246 on it.

I think that would be an extremely hard sell. Buy a vehicle and use it for either local or long-distance travel vs. buy a vehicle for local travel, then rent a vehicle for long-distance travel.

The actual ranges of any vehicles involved obviously affect how people might feel about it.

I don't travel across the country, but I do drive from Florida to Georgia a couple of times a year. I like being able to do that pretty much whenever I want to without having to go through the process of renting and returning a vehicle. If the electric can do that without issues, great. If not...:dunno:

I like to have an xtra parked in front in case trouble with the other requires shop time, or just as a winter runner to keep miles and rust off the better vehicle. Fact I just sold what was going to be my slush car this yr. 1st daughters first car, 2000 Park AVe with 246 on it.

In your case keeping an electric for shorter travel and gas for longer trips could be viable, than. :)

How much surface area does it have in photovoltaic panels?

On average, during the “solar window”, defined as the time from three hours before to three hours after “solar noon”, each square meter of the Earth's surface receives about 1,000 watts of solar energy. I believe that current PV technology is up to somewhere near 20% efficiency.

So, if this car is parked out in the sun, and somehow manages to have its panels aimed and otherwise functioning perfectly during the entire six-hour window, it can collect about 1,200 watt-hours of energy during the day. A bit more, for the remaining two hours of a typical eight-hour shift, though the Sun itself will be in less optimal positions. Let's say, 1,600 watt-hours for the entire time its owner is at work. That's for each square meter of perfectly-aimed and functioning solar panel. If you have two square meters, double that, three square meters, triple that. Three squared meters doesn't seem realistically possible on such a small vehicle, but giving that assumption, we're looking at maybe 4,800 watt-hours of energy collected during the day. Clearly, this is an overly-optimistic estimate, and in real life, it will probably never collect nearly that much in a day.

A gallon of gasoline contains about 33,700 watt-hours of energy.

How far do you suppose this thing can go on 4,800 watt-hours of energy?

How far do you suppose a gasoline-powered version could go on 4800⁄33700 ≈ 1⁄7 of a gallon?

[Update: After reading the article in more detail, and having a better look at the pictures, I very much doubt if this thing has nearly as much as two square meters of PV area. And what it does have is curved in such a way, that, at any given time, no more than about half of it can ever be aimed well at the Sun. I have to say, now, that my earlier set of numbers, based on one square meter, is probably on the optimistic side. Maybe 1,600 watt-hours in a day, approximately equal to 1⁄20 of a gallon of gasoline. If you live close enough to where you work, for this to be a reliable means of transportation to and from, then you might as well just walk.]

Last edited:

Lotsa folks have two cars especially in places with hard winters. A winter car and a summer car. Or like me a normal car and a fun car.

I think that would be an extremely hard sell. Buy a vehicle and use it for either local or long-distance travel vs. buy a vehicle for local travel, then rent a vehicle for long-distance travel.

The actual ranges of any vehicles involved obviously affect how people might feel about it.

I don't travel across the country, but I do drive from Florida to Georgia a couple of times a year. I like being able to do that pretty much whenever I want to without having to go through the process of renting and returning a vehicle. If the electric can do that without issues, great. If not...:dunno:
Renting a car is not that excruciating. I've done it lots of times.

Years ago Christmas was coming on and I didn't trust my car of the time to make a trip to go see Mom, so I went to Enterprise and asked for the cheapest $10 a day econobox they had. "OK your car's outside, here's the keys" they said, and led me to a friggin' Lincoln Town Car. I dunno if it was because it was Christmas or my birthday but they insisted I take it for $10. Of course that would be the night it snowed in New Orleans for the first time in 12 years or whatever so I had to drive that barge through that, but I did enjoy listening to the Nutcracker on the top shelf sound system.

This car actually had a switch on it ---- that would activate a motor ---- that would bring the accelerator closer to your right foot, so you wouldn't have to be bothered flexing a muscle. One of the strangest driving experiences ever.

It's a 2 seater. Not everyone will want one because of that. Yes, it has a space behind the seats but trust me, you really don't want to sit back there.

It's a 3-wheeler. I drive a 3 wheeler on a daily basis. It never met a pothole it didn't like. You can't miss a pothole. You can't staddle the pothole. At least one wheel is going to hit that pothole.

It's lightly constructed. Don't get in an accident while driving it. It's built like a Motorcyle. Any car or truck will wipe the road with it. It has lower safety standards than say, a Tesla or even a Honda has or even the crappiest Ford.

Hey, take roads without potholes.

Solo or 2-person commuting probably covers 80% of everyday car needs; As for accidents, the simple solution is to not get in them. Which is doable since this vehicle would have what the heavier tuna boats do not --- agility. Me I'll take agility over dead weight any day of the week.

Like I have a choice on potholes. I live right off North Ave which I nickname North Jeep Trail Avenue. I've bent more than one wheel trying to miss a pothole on that road. And what's sad sad is, we keep reelecting the same type of County Commissioner over and over again who thinks the meridian looking pretty is more important than the road surface being smooth itself. You don't always have a choice except in Candy Land.

Yes, solo and 2 person commuting does cover at lest 80% of commuting but that's not what people think. But when that other 20% does crop up you are screwed. This vehicle falls well within the 2nd vehicle category which isn't a bad thing.

As for never getting in an accident. Tell that to the other guy or gal who is hell bent in involving you in their accident.

This vehicle is a second vehicle, not a first and there are cheaper ones out there that don't have nearly the bells and the whistles. I would suggest an electric two seater that costs right around 5000.

It's a 2 seater. Not everyone will want one because of that. Yes, it has a space behind the seats but trust me, you really don't want to sit back there.

It's a 3-wheeler. I drive a 3 wheeler on a daily basis. It never met a pothole it didn't like. You can't miss a pothole. You can't staddle the pothole. At least one wheel is going to hit that pothole.

It's lightly constructed. Don't get in an accident while driving it. It's built like a Motorcyle. Any car or truck will wipe the road with it. It has lower safety standards than say, a Tesla or even a Honda has or even the crappiest Ford.

Hey, take roads without potholes.

Solo or 2-person commuting probably covers 80% of everyday car needs; As for accidents, the simple solution is to not get in them. Which is doable since this vehicle would have what the heavier tuna boats do not --- agility. Me I'll take agility over dead weight any day of the week.

Like I have a choice on potholes. I live right off North Ave which I nickname North Jeep Trail Avenue. I've bent more than one wheel trying to miss a pothole on that road. And what's sad sad is, we keep reelecting the same type of County Commissioner over and over again who thinks the meridian looking pretty is more important than the road surface being smooth itself. You don't always have a choice except in Candy Land.

Yes, solo and 2 person commuting does cover at lest 80% of commuting but that's not what people think. But when that other 20% does crop up you are screwed. This vehicle falls well within the 2nd vehicle category which isn't a bad thing.

As for never getting in an accident. Tell that to the other guy or gal who is hell bent in involving you in their accident.

This vehicle is a second vehicle, not a first and there are cheaper ones out there that don't have nearly the bells and the whistles. I would suggest an electric two seater that costs right around 5000.

I'm really not interested in how hell-bent the other yahoo might be, it's simply not going to be permitted. If he's driving a barge, he's deliberately put himself at a control disadvantage, which I have declined. Therefore I can predict what his somersault will look like and take whatever evasive manoeuvres might be appropriate. Done it more times than I could count.

On the other hand if he's not driving a barge, then we both have control.

Forum List

Back