November 22nd -- this day in History...

Pogo

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2012
Fennario
Today, November 22nd, marks an event that, although it's not the only time it happened, marks one occasion that singularly stands out.

This was the Big One.

And the perpetrators -- there were at least two --- have to this day never been caught or even identified.

I refer of course to the Max Headroom Broadcast Intrusion of 1987 in Chicago. First it was the WGN-TV signal interrupted during the sports segment of the evening news:

--- That one was just a few seconds with no audio save a metallic grinding noise. WGN engineers got their signal back by changing the frequency of the signal sent to their transmitter and resumed broadcasting.

But later that night, WTTW-TV ... which had no engineers on duty to take a similar step ... got a longer look:

Narrated Wiki:
The show was interrupted by television static, after which the unidentified man wearing the Max Headroom mask and sunglasses appeared, mentioning WGN pundit, Chuck Swirsky, whom he said he was "better than", going on to call Swirsky a "Freaking Liberal". The man started to moan, scream and laugh.

He continued to laugh and utter various random phrases, including New Coke's advertising slogan "Catch the Wave" while holding a Pepsi can (Max Headroom was a Coca-Cola spokesperson at the time), then tossed the can down, leaned towards the camera and presented the finger wearing a rubber extension over his middle finger, though the gesture was partially offscreen. The man then retrieved the Pepsi can, and sang "Your love is fading", removed the rubber extension, and then began humming the theme song to Clutch Cargo, pausing to say "I still see the X" (often misheard as "I stole CBS"), which referred to the final episode of the series, before resuming humming again.

He then began to moan painfully, exclaiming about his piles, after which a flatulence sound was heard. He then stated that he had "made a giant masterpiece for all the greatest world newspaper nerds" (the WGN call letters used by the Chicago television station as well as its sister radio station are an abbreviation for "World's Greatest Newspaper", in reference to the flagship newspaper of their corporate parent, the Tribune Company's Chicago Tribune). He then held up a glove (similar to the one worn by Michael Jackson at the time) and said, "My brother is wearing the other one." After putting the glove on, he exclaimed "but it's dirty! It's like you got blood stains on it!" He then removed and threw the glove down.

The picture suddenly cut over to a shot of the man's lower torso. His buttocks were partly exposed, and he was holding the now-removed mask up to the camera with the rubber extension now placed in the mouth of the mask, howling, "They're coming to get me!" An unidentified female accomplice wearing a French maid outfit said to him, "Bend over, bitch!". The accomplice then started to spank the man with a flyswatter as the man screamed loudly. The transmission then blacked out for a few seconds before resuming the Doctor Who episode in progress; the hijack lasted for about 90 seconds.[3]

---- Humming the Clutch Cargo theme. HUMMING THE CLUTCH CARGO THEME. :rofl:

I love it. This is art, man.

Interesting too where the second broadcast lands in the Doctor Who dialogue after recovering its signal.

Last edited:
Those giant mesh satellite dishes were all the craze and dial up for a dollar and hour...

It's so easy to do especially in a city like that with any number of vantage points to override an STL with a simple and portable transmitter, it's amazing it didn't happen more often.

Of course there was another meaningful television event that occurred on the 22nd of November in the year 1963.... this was featured on CBS News (the YouTube date is wrong):

--this was until recently thought to be the first appearance of the Beatles on US national television, although somebody came up with an NBC Huntley-Brinkley report from three days earlier (but only the audio survives). This then is the earliest surviving video of Beatles on US national TV, broadcast on the same day as the last surviving video of John F. Kennedy still alive.

This was broadcast on the CBS Morning News with Mike Wallace, and was supposed to repeat on the evening broadcast with Walter Cronkite. But something else happened during the day that pushed all other news off. Mike Wallace didn't even remember the piece, but Walter Cronkite did, and finally broadcast it on December 10th.

Last edited:
And as for that other thing on that date --- Phil Ochs wrote an amazingly powerful paean to the event and the idea of heroes and sacrificed; friends of his, Jim Glover and Jean Ray, did the definitive version of it, in 1966:

This is outstanding work. :salute:

I remember Clutch Cargo. It was a hilariously cheesy cartoon show whose animation was low grade and stiff, but the characters' lips moved fluidly when they talked, creating a rather bizarre effect that was a stark contrast to the stiff body movements but extremely funny. We watched it just for that weirdness.

Interesting that there isn't much media coverage of the anniversary of the tragic event of 1963 but it seems that conspiracy nuts can't seem to grasp the reality that a freaking traitor welcomed back into the U.S. by the Kennedy brothers, allegedly to be the ultimate assassin that they planned for the Castro regime, turned around and killed the creator. Media propaganda passes for reality and history.

Interesting that there isn't much media coverage of the anniversary of the tragic event of 1963 but it seems that conspiracy nuts can't seem to grasp the reality that a freaking traitor welcomed back into the U.S. by the Kennedy brothers, allegedly to be the ultimate assassin that they planned for the Castro regime, turned around and killed the creator. Media propaganda passes for reality and history.

So you're buying the Warren Commission are ya? :lol:

One born every minute....

So you're buying the Warren Commission are ya? :lol:

One born every minute....

Him and spinster looks like thats all they ever did was read the warren commission is the extent of their research.:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

This troll whitehall is a chickenshit coward who cant stand toe to toe in a debate.I once proved to him in a discussuin on this that oswald was innocent and there were multiple shooters and he never came back and addressed my facts so I sent him a PM on it and challenged him to debunk it,he got angry and started calling me names and he has had me on ignore ever since.:lmao:

same with another troll poster named predfan that posts here.

an easy as pie way to get those two trolls to add you to their ignore list is just challenge them to refute the facts you list that prove oswald innocent and there were multiple shooters. send a PM to them and challenge them to refute it.I GUARANTEE they will put you on ignore after that since they hate to be taken to school and proven wrong they want to live in denial and so much believe this is a free country and not a banana republic.
:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha:

whitehall and predfan trolls are obviously not aware of this investigation in the 70's that occured that overruled the warren commission.:haha:

Even the government itself admitted in the 70's there was a conspiracy to kill JFK.

since you are here,would be great to have you visit that thread there of mine and add your comments there.would appreciate it.

Oh and please visit this thread as well and comment on post #3 here of mine as well if you dont mind.thanks.

Nov 22 1963

Last edited:
Today, November 22nd, marks an event that, although it's not the only time it happened, marks one occasion that singularly stands out.

This was the Big One.

And the perpetrators -- there were at least two --- have to this day never been caught or even identified.

I refer of course to the Max Headroom Broadcast Intrusion of 1987 in Chicago. First it was the WGN-TV signal interrupted during the sports segment of the evening news:

--- That one was just a few seconds with no audio save a metallic grinding noise. WGN engineers got their signal back by changing the frequency of the signal sent to their transmitter and resumed broadcasting.

But later that night, WTTW-TV ... which had no engineers on duty to take a similar step ... got a longer look:

Narrated Wiki:
The show was interrupted by television static, after which the unidentified man wearing the Max Headroom mask and sunglasses appeared, mentioning WGN pundit, Chuck Swirsky, whom he said he was "better than", going on to call Swirsky a "Freaking Liberal". The man started to moan, scream and laugh.​
He continued to laugh and utter various random phrases, including New Coke's advertising slogan "Catch the Wave" while holding a Pepsi can (Max Headroom was a Coca-Cola spokesperson at the time), then tossed the can down, leaned towards the camera and presented the finger wearing a rubber extension over his middle finger, though the gesture was partially offscreen. The man then retrieved the Pepsi can, and sang "Your love is fading", removed the rubber extension, and then began humming the theme song to Clutch Cargo, pausing to say "I still see the X" (often misheard as "I stole CBS"), which referred to the final episode of the series, before resuming humming again.​
He then began to moan painfully, exclaiming about his piles, after which a flatulence sound was heard. He then stated that he had "made a giant masterpiece for all the greatest world newspaper nerds" (the WGN call letters used by the Chicago television station as well as its sister radio station are an abbreviation for "World's Greatest Newspaper", in reference to the flagship newspaper of their corporate parent, the Tribune Company's Chicago Tribune). He then held up a glove (similar to the one worn by Michael Jackson at the time) and said, "My brother is wearing the other one." After putting the glove on, he exclaimed "but it's dirty! It's like you got blood stains on it!" He then removed and threw the glove down.​
The picture suddenly cut over to a shot of the man's lower torso. His buttocks were partly exposed, and he was holding the now-removed mask up to the camera with the rubber extension now placed in the mouth of the mask, howling, "They're coming to get me!" An unidentified female accomplice wearing a French maid outfit said to him, "Bend over, bitch!". The accomplice then started to spank the man with a flyswatter as the man screamed loudly. The transmission then blacked out for a few seconds before resuming the Doctor Who episode in progress; the hijack lasted for about 90 seconds.[3]

Interesting too where the second broadcast lands in the Doctor Who dialogue after recovering its signal.

Whelp, since that second video's been disappeared, here's another copy (starts at 0:27)

All your videos are disappearing Pogo. . . looks like someone is trying to censor you. . . :ack-1:

Try here;

lbry.tv

Or here;

Or here;

Or here;

Or here;

These places are less susceptible to corporate/state oligarchical collectivist/ interlocking directorate censorship.

All your videos are disappearing Pogo. . . looks like someone is trying to censor you. . . :ack-1:

Try here;

lbry.tv

Or here;

Or here;

Or here;

Or here;

These places are less susceptible to corporate/state oligarchical collectivist/ interlocking directorate censorship.

It's just because this thread is five years old. I just replaced the second video above.

Thanks for the resources though. I'll look into them "soon".

This was the Big One.

Narrated Wiki:
The show was interrupted by television static, after which the unidentified man wearing the Max Headroom mask and sunglasses appeared, mentioning WGN pundit, Chuck Swirsky, whom he said he was "better than", going on to call Swirsky a "Freaking Liberal". The man started to moan, scream and laugh.​
He continued to laugh and utter various random phrases, including New Coke's advertising slogan "Catch the Wave" while holding a Pepsi can (Max Headroom was a Coca-Cola spokesperson at the time), then tossed the can down, leaned towards the camera and presented the finger wearing a rubber extension over his middle finger, though the gesture was partially offscreen. The man then retrieved the Pepsi can, and sang "Your love is fading", removed the rubber extension, and then began humming the theme song to Clutch Cargo, pausing to say "I still see the X" (often misheard as "I stole CBS"), which referred to the final episode of the series, before resuming humming again.​
He then began to moan painfully, exclaiming about his piles, after which a flatulence sound was heard. He then stated that he had "made a giant masterpiece for all the greatest world newspaper nerds" (the WGN call letters used by the Chicago television station as well as its sister radio station are an abbreviation for "World's Greatest Newspaper", in reference to the flagship newspaper of their corporate parent, the Tribune Company's Chicago Tribune). He then held up a glove (similar to the one worn by Michael Jackson at the time) and said, "My brother is wearing the other one." After putting the glove on, he exclaimed "but it's dirty! It's like you got blood stains on it!" He then removed and threw the glove down.​

Whelp, since that second video's been disappeared, here's another copy (starts at 0:27)

Age restricted unless a user has an account.

This one will be there when members want to view it.

. . . unless they are de-platformed by their service provider again. .

This was the Big One.

Narrated Wiki:

Age restricted unless a user has an account.

This one will be there when members want to view it.

. . . unless they are de-platformed by their service provider again. .

OK you sold me. That's better quality. :thup:
They did miss a coupla subtitles though.

Here's a better YouTube one, let's see if it embeds....

Goddam it Max, now I have the Clutch Cargo theme running in my head
hair-fire.gif

I confessed to shooting Kennedy in this forum a long time ago. Case closed. The 'third bullet' wasa special 'ice bullet' given to me by LBJ and Frank Sinatra, and of course it melted, which is why it was never found.

Forum List

Back