Zone1 Not a Christian

What is the benefit of being a Christian?

• I don’t know.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • I don’t know either.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • I do know. (Specify in the thread)

Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters
Did God actually do it, or is it nature.
You know people who believe in evolution and hold no belief in God, know that it is nature. We do have a physical world that has been evolving since creation. We also have a spiritual existence. We are a spiritual people having a physical experience, and not all that is physical is perfect. I know so many born into physically imperfect bodies, and those perfect spirits shine forth.

Every so often my work day entails going from special ed to regular ed. If searching for messed up, mean kids, the pay dirt for such a venture is most often found in the regular ed classes.

It starts at the moment of conception with a genetic, non-hereditary birth defect that will be a major detriment for my entire life. The symptoms/effects of this birth defect will include: Glaucoma, Epilepsy, Cranial Calcification (calcium deposits in the brain) and a full facial birthmark. The treatment for this condition will leave me with multiple eye surgeries, an inability to deal with the cold (I was born in CT), emotional issues, a minor learning disability, and stunted growth (thanks phenobarbital). Worse, I will get to watch my two younger brothers surpass me in pretty much every physical, social, and intellectual category you can think of.

Should I go on?… because I CAN.
Other than the two younger brothers, I would have wondered if I was speaking to my cousin. Yes, go on if you wish. Despite all of this, I wonder if you know the great positive impact you are having on those around you?

I attended Baptist churches three times a week as a child during the 1980s. Hell fire and brimstone was the norm.
Catholic Church is so different...in my entire life, hell has been mentioned maybe three times, and then it was addressed as separation from God.

The nuns used this imagery: A person was shown hell. They were all sitting around a very large table with a dish of food in the center. Everyone had a long spoon so they could reach the dish, but the handles on the spoon were too long to bring the food back to their mouths. Everyone was miserable.

The person was then shown heaven. The exact same setting of people sitting around a large table with the long spoons that could reach the food dish but too long to bring food back to their mouths. Everyone here was happy. They were feeding each other with those long spoons that couldn't bring food to their own mouths.

Catholic Church is so different...in my entire life, hell has been mentioned maybe three times, and then it was addressed as separation from God.

The nuns used this imagery: A person was shown hell. They were all sitting around a very large table with a dish of food in the center. Everyone had a long spoon so they could reach the dish, but the handles on the spoon were too long to bring the food back to their mouths. Everyone was miserable.

The person was then shown heaven. The exact same setting of people sitting around a large table with the long spoons that could reach the food dish but too long to bring food back to their mouths. Everyone here was happy. They were feeding each other with those long spoons that couldn't bring food to their own mouths.

Yes. My experience was much different. If you don’t say this easy totally simple prayer then you will be tortured for eternity with constant fire, the smell of sulfur, and worms eating your flesh that do not die.

If you go up to the altar and say a perfectly easy prayer then you will have eternal life in heaven with Jesus where everything is completely wonderful.

The third option of calling bs on the whole charade didn’t cross my mind. Even if it did the second option was way better.

Your version of Christianity isn’t as empty as the version that I experienced/am experiencing. I’m not exaggerating about this at all. This is the basis of the faith of any evangelical Christian in the United States.

You know people who believe in evolution and hold no belief in God, know that it is nature. We do have a physical world that has been evolving since creation. We also have a spiritual existence. We are a spiritual people having a physical experience, and not all that is physical is perfect. I know so many born into physically imperfect bodies, and those perfect spirits shine forth.

Every so often my work day entails going from special ed to regular ed. If searching for messed up, mean kids, the pay dirt for such a venture is most often found in the regular ed classes.
My PERSONAL belief is that God DID NOT have a direct hand in creating anyone with defects, but He does use them and how we treat "the least among us" to judge US.

As far as evolution, there is VARIETY within a species, but "kind" does not change into another "kind.'

Yes. My experience was much different. If you don’t say this easy totally simple prayer then you will be tortured for eternity with constant fire, the smell of sulfur, and worms eating your flesh that do not die.

If you go up to the altar and say a perfectly easy prayer then you will have eternal life in heaven with Jesus where everything is completely wonderful.

The third option of calling bs on the whole charade didn’t cross my mind. Even if it did the second option was way better.

Your version of Christianity isn’t as empty as the version that I experienced/am experiencing. I’m not exaggerating about this at all. This is the basis of the faith of any evangelical Christian in the United States.
Maybe you should try following GOD and not imperfect MEN. YOU are one of those too, btw. You should keep that in mind.

Maybe you should try following GOD and not imperfect MEN. YOU are one of those too, btw. You should keep that in mind.

I become extremely suspicious and dismissive of anybody who claims God said something or God wrote some book. That’s dumb. If God is all powerful He is capable of having a conversation with anybody who wants to have a conversation with. He wouldn’t have to rely on liars to spread His message. That would make him a pure idiot. If God is a pure idiot then why would I want to follow Him? Luckily I just do every single thing that God ever tells me to do and I always will. That way He has no reason to be pissed at me. Luckily He has never said a doggone thing to me. So we are good in that regard.

I think all the people who claim God wrote the Bible or that God speaks to humans knows deep down that their are full of prunes.

Jesus entire ministry was about assuring people their trespasses-transgressions-sins ARE forgiven. Not once did he say, "Sins will be forgiven once I lay down my life." He died because some decided he had no authority to announce sins are forgiven. This is what the Catholic sacrament of confession is about--announcing what Jesus announced in his lifetime: Sins are forgiven. We hear this at Mass, we hear it at confession.

It appears that somewhere down the centuries, someone other than Christ made-up a new sin that cannot be forgiven and which sends people directly into a great fire. I recommend, Listen to Christ.

Jesus also talked a lot about the Kingdom of God being within reach right now. Kingdom living is the Way he taught.

I am not saying everyone should become Catholic, but I do recommend that Evangelicals at least be aware that in his own lifetime, Jesus was assuring the world, Sins are forgiven. Given this information, proceed onward.

My PERSONAL belief is that God DID NOT have a direct hand in creating anyone with defects, but He does use them and how we treat "the least among us" to judge US.
Yes, I am pretty much of the same mind, that God does not see our physical defects, He sees our souls. It takes another physical being to grade the outward appearance of other physical beings. Too many of them look at the outward and say, "eeewwww" without bothering to stick around to look at their spirits.

I think all the people who claim God wrote the Bible or that God speaks to humans knows deep down that their are full of prunes.
Catholics (and probably other non-Evangelical Christians as well) believe the Bible was written by man with inspiration coming from God.

Catholics (and probably other non-Evangelical Christians as well) believe the Bible was written by man with inspiration coming from God.

Yes. What level of inspiration is up for debate. I could write a poem right now based upon my interpretation of God. It wouldn’t have the authority of scripture.

You don't BELIEVE. You look for excuses to not obey. You seem butt-hurt. Read what God said to troubled Cain.

Are you looking for God, or are you looking to spread your disbelief.

Think whatever you want. I will do anything God tells me to do. You are right. I don't believe that God wants anything to do with me. If He did, He would have contacted me by now. I think deep down you know what the truth is. Why would I be looking for God? That sounds futile.

It wouldn't have any deformed, retarded people in constant pain until they die, that's for sure. Only a sadist would do that.
So where do you draw the line? Would your world have male pattern baldness?

You are right. I don't believe that God wants anything to do with me. If He did, He would have contacted me by now. I think deep down you know what the truth is. Why would I be looking for God? That sounds futile.
God's love is amazing, beyond imagining. Every so often, even with those who love us the most, human love can fail or not quite reach what we deserve. While looking for God, in the way you seem to want, is not futile, it is time consuming and as I said before, in the end, unneeded. Faith and belief the size of a mustard seed are enough. They can, indeed move (figurative) mountains.

Forum List

Back