Non conductive epoxys and glues for PC boards?

Baron Von Murderpaws

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2021
In the recesses of your mind
I have a Seagate External Desktop Hard Drive that needs the USB adapter board replaced, as the USB port was damaged.

Apparently the USB ports on these are extremely fragile. I'm looking for another USB board to replace the one thats damaged.

A tech guy said to secure the USB connectors on the board with extra soldering or a super glue or epoxy, but he didn't specify what kind or type of adhesive. I want to use something non-conductive and that wont harden solid, as I'd like it to keep some "give" so the damn USB port doesn't break again.

Do they make non-conductive adhesives for problems like this?
If so, what are the brand names and costs?

Use Google.

Search "Non-conductive adhesive for electronics."

duh.png

Most of them that claimed "non conductive" stated they were conductive in their descriptions.
And aside from that, there are too many to count and too numerous to go through.

Plus, I don't want to waste money on something as expensive as this type of adhesive, and not have it work without getting feedback on the best type to use for my intended purpose, by people who know something about this kind of thing.

And the tech/pc "help" sites were of no help at all.

duh.png

Most of them that claimed "non conductive" stated they were conductive in their descriptions.
And aside from that, there are too many to count and too numerous to go through.

Plus, I don't want to waste money on something as expensive as this type of adhesive, and not have it work without getting feedback on the best type to use for my intended purpose, by people who know something about this kind of thing.

And the tech/pc "help" sites were of no help at all.
Maybe check Amazon? They have product reviews that may be useful to you. I'd find what you need if I wasn't on my phone right now.

A tech guy said to secure the USB connectors on the board with extra soldering or a super glue or epoxy, but he didn't specify what kind or type of adhesive. I want to use something non-conductive and that wont harden solid, as I'd like it to keep some "give" so the damn USB port doesn't break again.

Do they make non-conductive adhesives for problems like this?
If so, what are the brand names and costs?
First off, if you use an epoxy, it will cure "hard" - that's the nature of epoxies. Based on my experience in the electronics industry, most adhesives are non-conducting. Conductive adhesives are more of a specialized product - usually requiring some type of silver colloid. It sounds like, in your circumstance, something as simple as stiff rubber glue would fill the bill. Go to Digi Key and search on adhesives or glue - you'll likely find exactly what you need.

Good luck

First off, if you use an epoxy, it will cure "hard" - that's the nature of epoxies. Based on my experience in the electronics industry, most adhesives are non-conducting. Conductive adhesives are more of a specialized product - usually requiring some type of silver colloid. It sounds like, in your circumstance, something as simple as stiff rubber glue would fill the bill. Go to Digi Key and search on adhesives or glue - you'll likely find exactly what you need.

Good luck

Yeah, a rubberized glue! Thats what I was thinking of.

Oh feck..........Rubber Cement!!! Thats the stuff I've been trying to think of!!! Geez.
So old..........brain going. Ugh.

Forum List

Back