No babies in high end restaurants?

Once knew a delightful older couple who ran a small restaurant in New Hampshire where pre-school children were NOT welcome. It wasn't the crying that offended. It was the changing of poopy diapers ON THE TABLE in the presence of other diners.

The lady met each guest at the door herself and, if they came with a rug-rat, handed them a sheet with directions and a $5 gift certificate for McDonald's about 4 miles away.....4 miles DOWNWIND.

Then the other restaurant, now in the hands of mere wimps since the original owners passed away. The one with the hand-lettered sign:

PLEASE do not allow your children to annoy our other guests

Children were allowed but only until they acted out. At which time one of the owners emerged from the kitchen with his cleaver. Embedded it in the table to get their attention. Then announced that all they had eaten, up to then, was on the house but they were to leave immediately.

This was typically followed by a long, slow clap from the standing regulars.

The last time I was at a high-end restaurant, the four-year-old across the room wasn't the only one crying.

I was served the bill.

If I were to make reservations at an upscale restaurant (like The Compass) for a special occasion like a Wedding Anniversary, I would expect that the restaurant staff ensure that there are no disturbances including crying babies. It's the least they could do given that we are paying a considerable amount of money to enjoy our evening.

The restaurant staff handling the reservations simply needs to make sure that no children will be present.

So far I have not had any issues in this regard.

Children were allowed but only until they acted out. At which time one of the owners emerged from the kitchen with his cleaver. Embedded it in the table to get their attention. Then announced that all they had eaten, up to then, was on the house but they were to leave immediately.

This was typically followed by a long, slow clap from the standing regulars.

What a great visual!!!!!!:up: :lol:

The real visual was even better!

The owner-from-the-kitchen stood about 6'-4", scaled out at about 250, cropped white hair, white shirt, white pants, white sox, white shoes. White apron with one (never more than one) bloodstain.

Only a selfish parent would bring a child it is unfair to the child as well as their fellow patrons. Besides many times it is the ambience that attracts customers not only the food.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

"I normally do not dislike children, but when I do it is because of their parent's inability to parent well."

Forum List

Back