NLRB: College athletes can unionize

the gladiator breeding grounds pay for them.

"gladiator breeding grounds"

????????????????

Years ago I was lifting weights with some Univ of Wyo football players, who were black and scholarship guys from out of state. (the maj of these guys were not stupid and if they didn't get degrees, they'd get some hours at least, though some were obviously manual labor guys, but that's another story.)

Anyway, there were pretty good guys. It was so funny to see the girls from small towns like Saratoga or Sheridan or someplace so far off the beaten path, and without a lot of energy extraction, who'd never seen a good looking black dude. It was a lot of fun. I was too old for them even then.

the gladiator breeding grounds pay for them.

????????????????

Years ago I was lifting weights with some Univ of Wyo football players, who were black and scholarship guys from out of state. (the maj of these guys were not stupid and if they didn't get degrees, they'd get some hours at least, though some were obviously manual labor guys, but that's another story.)

Anyway, there were pretty good guys. It was so funny to see the girls from small towns like Saratoga or Sheridan or someplace so far off the beaten path, and without a lot of energy extraction, who'd never seen a good looking black dude. It was a lot of fun. I was too old for them even then.

You were too old for the black guys? Probably just as well, they should focus on studying and training.

????????????????

You were too old for the black guys? Probably just as well, they should focus on studying and training.

you're so Clever at this debate thing. Are you out from jr high on spring break?

It certainly is no where near equatable. There is a better way. Have people who represent both sides sit down and work it out.
Simple. But the status quo is not acceptable to the players with the money brought in by them.

They do but that is not equatable to amount they generate. How much goes to a coach? How much goes to other departments within the University?
They, the players, do not receive anywhere near the proper amount.

And they make tens of thousands of dollars worth of scholarship money. It may not be cash in their pockets, but it is certainly very valuable.

And the athletic depts have a LOT of people contributing to every win (or loss).

What would be the proper amount, and how do you distribute it among the players?

you're so Clever at this debate thing. Are you out from jr high on spring break?

Spring break is over for most schools.

College sports need to be destroyed.

That is just ignorant and idiotic.

I did NOT post that. I have never posted that. Do not attribute to me things I have not posted!

Post #108:

Looks like the left is trying to destroy college sports. Sad.

College sports need to be destroyed. They are a de facto minor league for the NFL and NBA and need to be treated as such.

Of course universities are free to drop sports at any time and with the sports would go the free rides.

Yes, they could.

Of course, they'd lose a lot of money in revenues produced by college sports, along with contributions from alumni boosters.

It strikes me that there is a lot of money being generated here, but the people performing most of the actual labor- the student athletes - aren't getting all that much out of it. They don't get paid, and in some cases, the academic benefit they are getting is questionable.

Of course universities are free to drop sports at any time and with the sports would go the free rides.

Yes, they could.

Of course, they'd lose a lot of money in revenues produced by college sports, along with contributions from alumni boosters.

It strikes me that there is a lot of money being generated here, but the people performing most of the actual labor- the student athletes - aren't getting all that much out of it. They don't get paid, and in some cases, the academic benefit they are getting is questionable.

The academic benefit is questionable?? How is a full scholarship questionable?

The ruling came down at Northwestern University. The cost of attending NU for 1 year is $59,950. So these 18 & 19 years old kids are getting quite a bit for their effort. And it will pay off hugely in their future.

Yes, they could.

The academic benefit is questionable?? How is a full scholarship questionable?

The ruling came down at Northwestern University. The cost of attending NU for 1 year is $59,950. So these 18 & 19 years old kids are getting quite a bit for their effort. And it will pay off hugely in their future.

Just because you overcharge someone for a service, doesn't make the service worth the money.

Hey, did you hear about this one?

The UNC fake class scandal: Athlete got an A- for a one-paragraph paper.

The University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill has already been embroiled in a scandal for allowing its athletes to enroll in fake courses for easy credit. Now, the whole controversy has a rather potent visual symbol to go along with it: a 146-word, ungrammatical essay on Rosa Parks that earned an A- for a real intro class.*

Mary Willingham, who spent a decade tutoring and advising UNC’s jocks before turning into a whistleblower, unveiled the paper during an interview with ESPN. As the segment explains, academically troubled UNC athletes were encouraged to sign up for so-called “paper classes”—which were essentially no-work independent studies involving a single paper that allowed functionally illiterate football players to prop up their GPAs, thus satisfying the NCAA’s eligibility requirements. While viewers were not treated to any of the "work" produced in those courses, Willingham did show this paper she later clarified was written for an actual intro class, in which the athlete finished with an A-:

Oh, UNC's Annual Tuition? $30,122.00.

Forum List

Back