NLRB: College athletes can unionize

Most colleges are limited to 85 scholarships. So you want to cut 85 students in for a percentage of the profits, in addition to the monetary worth of their full ride?

If it really was a "full ride" I don't think this issue would have ever come up.

They do but that is not equatable to amount they generate. How much goes to a coach? How much goes to other departments within the University?
They, the players, do not receive anywhere near the proper amount.

Still, the athletes help generate an enormous about of income to the university. They
need to be compensated with equity.

A little Google searching shows that the cost of attending Northwestern Univ is $58,950 per year.

Those who claim that these athletes are not paid are simply wrong. I don't know many kids just out of high school who make almost $60k per year. If they stay for 4 years, their compensation is worth $235,800.

That comes to $28.34 an hour for a 40 hr week. Not bad for a kid with a high school diploma, especially when he is getting a top level education. The NCAA limits direct athletic competition and practice to 20 hrs per week. So what they are getting paid to do is actually more like 20 to 30 hrs a week. At 30 hrs they earn $37.78 per hr.

Oh, and if they pay taxes on that income, at 25% (state and federal), they owe almost $15k a year in taxes.

And they make tens of thousands of dollars worth of scholarship money. It may not be cash in their pockets, but it is certainly very valuable.

And the athletic depts have a LOT of people contributing to every win (or loss).

They do but that is not equatable to amount they generate. How much goes to a coach? How much goes to other departments within the University?
They, the players, do not receive anywhere near the proper amount.

Still, the athletes help generate an enormous about of income to the university. They
need to be compensated with equity.

And they make tens of thousands of dollars worth of scholarship money. It may not be cash in their pockets, but it is certainly very valuable.

And the athletic depts have a LOT of people contributing to every win (or loss).

What would be the proper amount, and how do you distribute it among the players?

Did he just equate the cost of college and count it as "income"?

Now thats some fuzzy math

How is that "fuzzy math"? They agree to play for a college team and get a full scholarship in exchange for that. The cost of the scholarship is a set amount.

Just because the pay is not in cash does not mean the players are there for free. There is value in what they receive.

How is that "fuzzy math"? They agree to play for a college team and get a full scholarship in exchange for that. The cost of the scholarship is a set amount.

Just because the pay is not in cash does not mean the players are there for free. There is value in what they receive.

Uh..simple. Its not income. You can call it apple pie but putting a scoop of vanilla on it doesnt make it apple pie.

Uh..simple. Its not income. You can call it apple pie but putting a scoop of vanilla on it doesnt make it apple pie.

They are exchanging their effort or work for a full scholarship. Anyone else would have to pay $59k per year at Northwestern, but the football player on scholarship pays nothing.

It is not income, but it is certainly payment for his services. The idea that the athletes get nothing is nonsense.

They are exchanging their effort or work for a full scholarship. Anyone else would have to pay $59k per year at Northwestern, but the football player on scholarship pays nothing.

It is not income, but it is certainly payment for his services. The idea that the athletes get nothing is nonsense.

If handed the cash it would be taxable income.

This is no different; those scholarships, were their any such thing as "equality", would be fully taxable. As they should.

Then let the NFL and NBA pay for them!

And deprive the colleges, not only the fun of the competition, but the income too?

Why? I see so many wanting college athletics removed. Why? It harms no one. It provides funding for schools. It brings people from all over the country to college campuses.

What is the downside??

And deprive the colleges, not only the fun of the competition, but the income too?

Why? I see so many wanting college athletics removed. Why? It harms no one. It provides funding for schools. It brings people from all over the country to college campuses.

What is the downside??

Right off the top of my head I can think of corruption involving boosters, scandal after scandal involving coaches, the fact that for many schools the academics is now a distraction instead of THE mission, or the fact that many schools see what was intended to be something students did for themselves as a revenue stream and all that goes with maintaining that stream (e.g. coaches are the highest paid state employees, lowered academic standards to get students who will play, special rules and exclusive facilities, bribes to and from boosters).

I'm not in favor of doing away with college sports, but I am in favor of either eliminating sports scholarships entirely and letting then whole lot just be student organized activities just like any other on campus club

OR

we quit pretending they are just students and let the NFL and NBA come up with some arrangement to use the schools as minors leagues and foot the bills themselves. We quit pretending the football and basketball programs are just for the love of the game and at the very least let the major sports leagues be allowed to pay the way of students playing college level sports.

Either way, we need an equitable arrangement that allows the student-athletes to make money off of themselves. If not an actual salary, at least be able to have a cut of their own merchandise like shirts with their names on them or their own bobbleheads.

What is the downside??

Right off the top of my head I can think of corruption involving boosters, scandal after scandal involving coaches, the fact that for many schools the academics is now a distraction instead of THE mission, or the fact that many schools see what was intended to be something students did for themselves as a revenue stream and all that goes with maintaining that stream (e.g. coaches are the highest paid state employees, lowered academic standards to get students who will play, special rules and exclusive facilities, bribes to and from boosters).

I'm not in favor of doing away with college sports, but I am in favor of either eliminating sports scholarships entirely and letting then whole lot just be student organized activities just like any other on campus club

OR

we quit pretending they are just students and let the NFL and NBA come up with some arrangement to use the schools as minors leagues and foot the bills themselves. We quit pretending the football and basketball programs are just for the love of the game and at the very least let the major sports leagues be allowed to pay the way of students playing college level sports.

Either way, we need an equitable arrangement that allows the student-athletes to make money off of themselves. If not an actual salary, at least be able to have a cut of their own merchandise like shirts with their names on them or their own bobbleheads.

The corruption needs to be fought and stopped. Or the rules need to be changed to allow the athletes to earn a bit of money selling their autographs an the like.

As for the lowered academic standards, that would fall under the corruption, since it is against the NCAA rules.

When I went to college, my profs treated their classes as the reason for the existence of the university. That I was a football fan did nothing to change the course requirements. The academics do not suffer in one dept because another one exists.

As for the pay of head coaches, much of that comes from outside endorsements, not strictly from the salary paid by the institution. Also, the money brought in my the football team more than pays for the program.

Forum List

Back