NFL teams cleaning house

Couchpotato

Platinum Member
Mar 2, 2021
A number of teams firing HC and GM's today. Some make sense others are head scratchers

Bears fired HC Nagy and GM Pace makes sense
Minny fired HC Childress I guess I understand this
Miami fired HC Brian Flores. Im not sure I get this move. He's only been there 3 seasons had them at 10-6 last year and 9-8 this year and his starting QB was hurt much of the year. They also won 8 of their last 9 games and almost made the playoffs. I anticipate he will not be unemployed long.

A number of teams firing HC and GM's today. Some make sense others are head scratchers

Miami fired HC Brian Flores. Im not sure I get this move. He's only been there 3 seasons had them at 10-6 last year and 9-8 this year and his starting QB was hurt much of the year. They also won 8 of their last 9 games and almost made the playoffs. I anticipate he will not be unemployed long.
And goofy Charlotte kept Rhule and his stellar 12 loss season, one better than his 11 loss season last year.

I think Ross felt his HC should have gotten his team into the playoffs after 3 years...

I think Ross felt his HC should have gotten his team into the playoffs after 3 years...
I get that. Tua had an injury which sidelined him for 4 weeks (and I think he came back early) and they lost all those games.
They lost all their games but 1 over a 7 game stretch where their QB was out or just coming back from injury. Is that really on the HC? There's a reason Brissett is a career back up. Lets be honest Tua is a decent QB but he's not a top 10 guy so if he's beating out Brissett....

Assuming they win 2 of those 7 games Tua is out/coming back off injury and they are in the PO.

I get that. Tua had an injury which sidelined him for 4 weeks (and I think he came back early) and they lost all those games.
They lost all their games but 1 over a 7 game stretch where their QB was out or just coming back from injury. Is that really on the HC? There's a reason Brissett is a career back up. Lets be honest Tua is a decent QB but he's not a top 10 guy so if he's beating out Brissett....

Assuming they win 2 of those 7 games Tua is out/coming back off injury and they are in the PO.
I dunno. Gotta coach em up. I remember 12 or 13 years ago when the chiefs knocked Brady out first game of the season. They went on to win 11 games with freakin Matt Cassel. Gotta know how to build a roster.

I dunno. Gotta coach em up. I remember 12 or 13 years ago when the chiefs knocked Brady out first game of the season. They went on to win 11 games with freakin Matt Cassel. Gotta know how to build a roster.

Fair point. I'll add this

1. Bill had 8-10 years to build that roster and set the culture.
2. Flores didn't build the roster.
3. NE had won 4 of the last 7 super bowls prior to Brady getting hurt. Miami had 2-3 losing seasons before Flores got there.

Last edited:
Fair point. I'll add this

1. Bill had 8-10 years to build that roster and set the culture.
2. Flores didn't build the roster.
3. NE had won 4 of the last 7 super bowls prior to Brady getting hurt. Miami had 2-3 losing seasons before Flores got there.
Yeah, but 3 years is enough time to set up a roster. Bilichick took NE to the Superbowl in his 2nd year. Before he got there, Pats were pretty sad. If a coach can't get to the playoffs after 3 years, you can't just blame it on injuries. It goes back to the HC imho. I'm not saying Flores is Bilechick, but he did work under him for a number of years.

Yeah, but 3 years is enough time to set up a roster. Bilichick took NE to the Superbowl in his 2nd year. Before he got there, Pats were pretty sad. If a coach can't get to the playoffs after 3 years, you can't just blame it on injuries. It goes back to the HC imho. I'm not saying Flores is Bilechick, but he did work under him for a number of years.
If the bar is Bill Belichick, then basically 31 other teams should be firing their coach every 3 years.
Flores didn't get to build his roster thats the GM man.
If Brady goes down BB's 2nd year, they probably don't win the SB no?
Again, if coaches are going to get fired for not getting the below .500 team, they took over to the PO in three years the coaching carousel would be spinning much faster.

More than half the league doesn't make the PO's every year.

If the bar is Bill Belichick, then basically 31 other teams should be firing their coach every 3 years.
Flores didn't get to build his roster thats the GM man.
If Brady goes down BB's 2nd year, they probably don't win the SB no?
Again, if coaches are going to get fired for not getting the below .500 team, they took over to the PO in three years the coaching carousel would be spinning much faster.

More than half the league doesn't make the PO's every year.
Well if the GM doesn't know how to build a roster, then he shouldn't be GM. 3 years is enough time to build a team and get to the playoffs. Normally it's a combo gm/hc that builds the team. The hc gets the players he needs - the gm figures out a way to get em signed. If the gm and hc can't agree on how to build a team in 3 years, then one, or the other, or both, need to go.
Maybe Ross should have fired Grier and kept Flores. Who knows. But somebody was gonna pay the price for not getting to the playoffs for the past 12 plus years...

Forum List

Back