Next project...build a shed...

You can get something comparable for just a few hundred more through Costco.com when they are running sales. Unless you just want to do your own.
Thanks Synth. I didn't even know Costco sold sheds.

But I'm committed now. Plus...if it works out I'll build it so I can enlarge it in the future. But I appreciate the advice.
There are definitely advantages to doing your own if you have the time and can stand the humidity. :04:

Here’s the page to check out. Selection is slim right now. Some of the high end ones are really something! $28k!

Going to build a 10x16 shed like this...

View attachment 349528

Will be building it in sections starting with the floor.

In my state you can build a portable shed without permits...so I'll be building on 4x4 skids.

So here's the plan for the floor...

View attachment 349537

Priced everything out...but Lowe's was completely out of 2x6x10 PTs...so that was an extra $24 to get them at Menards...and I bought Advanced lifetime 23/32 T&G flooring instead of standard OSB...an extra $70...plus Uncle Sam's cut minus 10% at Lowe's for Veterans discount. $100 over budget already.

View attachment 349535

This is how you get 16 foot lumber home when the 16 foot trailer is already loaded with something else.

View attachment 349547

Tomorrow ground breaking commences.

What do the scribbly lines mean on your professionally
drawn print? :auiqs.jpg:
...on a tablet of well-aged graph paper that's probably been hiding in the bottom a desk drawer since 1982 when he was in high school.

You dont know how close you are when it comes to the Wife and I.

We have plans we drew back in 90 for our dream home.
Strangely enough they havent changed much.
Close enough for horseshoes and hand grenades.

For the sake of transparency of conflicts of interests, I must concede that as a concrete contractor, my opinion regarding the foundation (or lack thereof) of HereWeGoAgain's proposed toolshed/marijuana growhouse is not necessarily unbiased.

Last edited:
Use concrete.
Can't...unless I want to make it much smaller or get the city involved. Any permanent stucture over 8 feet x10 feet must be permitted, built to code and inspected. I try very hard to keep the city out of my business.
Well, then I'd recommend to use less glass. Without a very solid foundation that structure is going to warp.

They've built frame houses for centuries and that never been a problem.
Yes it has.

If it was a huge problem they wouldnt make em anymore.
Besides..you admitted your bias.:laugh:

Today...

20200613_151940.jpg

20200613_152818.jpg

20200613_205406(1).jpg

Use concrete.
Can't...unless I want to make it much smaller or get the city involved. Any permanent stucture over 8 feet x10 feet must be permitted, built to code and inspected. I try very hard to keep the city out of my business.
Here it's 200 sq ft or more requires city involvement. If it's 199.9 sq ft or less you're good to go.

This is my shed I built myself. Only work I didn't do was the concrete slab. This is my 24×30 second garage just for toys and lawn equipment. Cars stay in attached garage. Still need to sheetrock walls and ceiling and run a gas line for heat. Even ran power myself, full 100 amps.20200614_115638.jpg
20200614_115543.jpg
It pays to do residential construction for a living. Saved a ton of money.

Every project I have undertaken like this cost me more in materials than if I had just bought a pre-cut kit from one of the sources of such things (like Lowe's). Not to mention the time and expense of several trips back to Lowe's for stuff I forgot.

But still, I love doing this stuff, even if I don't do it all that well.

This is my shed I built myself. Only work I didn't do was the concrete slab. This is my 24×30 second garage just for toys and lawn equipment. Cars stay in attached garage. Still need to sheetrock walls and ceiling and run a gas line for heat. Even ran power myself, full 100 amps.View attachment 350217
View attachment 350216
Now you're going to need a concrete driveway leading up to it, in my not so unbiased professional expert opinion.

Use concrete.
Well, then I'd recommend to use less glass. Without a very solid foundation that structure is going to warp.

They've built frame houses for centuries and that never been a problem.
Yes it has.

If it was a huge problem they wouldnt make em anymore.
Besides..you admitted your bias.:laugh:
Perhaps you've never heard of incendiary bombs? Such as the bat bomb?

Tokyo, Dresden etc. etc... People in Japan and Europe laugh at us Americans for building our nests out of flammable sticks.

You know there's a reason the most ancient man made structures that still exist on Earth were made in the stone age. It's because wooden buildings are crap.

Last edited:
18 months later the prices have fallen and inventory has refreshed enough to continue this project.

Had the foundation covered with plastic and a tarp. One panel was slightly damp but it dried out after a day in the sun. I was going to buy a replacement but at $87 each... I don't think so.

Also 2x4s were still outrageous...$5.97 each after my veterans discount.

The roof sheathing was high @ $29 per panel.

Surprisingly the exterior 4x8 siding was about the same as pre-Covid...$36 each.

Got the GAF shingles on clearance $15 per bundle.

Insulated windows were $58 at Menards.

Today was truss day...

IMG_20220127_133652331_HDR.jpg

Cold-ish tomorrow but then three nice days. Hopefully progress will be made.

This is my shed I built myself. Only work I didn't do was the concrete slab. This is my 24×30 second garage just for toys and lawn equipment. Cars stay in attached garage. Still need to sheetrock walls and ceiling and run a gas line for heat. Even ran power myself, full 100 amps.View attachment 350217
View attachment 350216
WTF?

Where the control joint cuts in the concrete slab cross between the boat and lawnmower, they are way off. Probably by about an inch and a half or so.

About the width of a 2X4.

They were probably using a 2X4 to help guide the saw. Stoned non-union scabs tend to fuck stuff up like that.

They invented a chalk line for a fucking reason. It's so that kind of mistake doesn't happen when you use your concrete saw to cut the control joints in a slab of concrete.

Last edited:
WTF?

The control joint cuts in the concrete slab between the boat and lawnmower are way off. Probably by about an inch and a half.

They invented a chalk line for a fucking reason. It's so that kinda shit doesn't happen when you use your concrete saw cut the control joints.
Damn...
Good eye dude.
Well.
Way too late to bitch at the cement guy now.

But they won't be doing the driveway, if I can ever afford it.

Have fun with it. I have a lot of building in the plans so it's always fun to see someone actually doing it instead of planning.

Trusses are done...

As you can see there was a design change over the last 18 months...went for a 7/12 roof instead of flat. Flat would have been easier but I figured I better learn to use that speed square properly before I die...in case there's a quiz in the afterlife...the guy in charge up there being a carpenter and all...

IMG_20220130_160237977.jpg

Forum List

Back