Next project...build a shed...

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
Going to build a 10x16 shed like this...

Screenshot_2020-06-12-20-49-07(1).png

Will be building it in sections starting with the floor.

In my state you can build a portable shed without permits...so I'll be building on 4x4 skids.

So here's the plan for the floor...

20200612_203053.jpg

Priced everything out...but Lowe's was completely out of 2x6x10 PTs...so that was an extra $24 to get them at Menards...and I bought Advanced lifetime 23/32 T&G flooring instead of standard OSB...an extra $70...plus Uncle Sam's cut minus 10% at Lowe's for Veterans discount. $100 over budget already.

20200612_203057.jpg

This is how you get 16 foot lumber home when the 16 foot trailer is already loaded with something else.

20200612_200609(1).jpg

Tomorrow ground breaking commences.

Oh mama that's alot of work!

I built a 10 X 16 shed 20 years ago.

I would have suggested to go 8X8 but if you're breaking ground tomorrow it's probably too late to change.

That’s looks nice. How much is it supposed to cost ya?
Supposed to be 1600...but if today portends the future...probably 1900-2000 dollars. I'm not putting those windows in the top. And I'm considering framing the front wall in such a way that a 10 foot wide and eight foot tall section between the windows can be unbolted and removed. That way I can build another one reversed and attach them to make a 20x16 shop...and that will add a little more money.

View attachment 349528

In my state you can build a portable shed without permits...so I'll be building on 4x4 skids.

View attachment 349537

Priced everything out...but Lowe's was completely out of 2x6x10 PTs...so that was an extra $24 to get them at Menards...and I bought Advanced lifetime 23/32 T&G flooring instead of standard OSB...an extra $70...plus Uncle Sam's cut minus 10% at Lowe's for Veterans discount. $100 over budget already.

View attachment 349535

This is how you get 16 foot lumber home when the 16 foot trailer is already loaded with something else.

View attachment 349547

What do the scribbly lines mean on your professionally
drawn print? :auiqs.jpg:

View attachment 349528

View attachment 349537

View attachment 349535

View attachment 349547

You like that? I did it on my F-150 professional drafting hood.

That's to remind me to block in nailers under the seams. :thup:

View attachment 349528

View attachment 349537

View attachment 349535

View attachment 349547

You like that? I did on my F-150 professional drafting hood.

That's to remind me to block in nailers under the seams. :thup:

Well there ya go.
I trust good old boy architecture over some bullshit from a book read wet under the ears millennial.

That’s looks nice. How much is it supposed to cost ya?
Supposed to be 1600...but if today portends the future...probably 1900-2000 dollars. I'm not putting those windows in the top. And I'm considering framing the front wall in such a way that a 10 foot wide and eight foot tall section between the windows can be unbolted and removed. That way I can build another one reversed and attach them to make a 20x16 shop...and that will add a little more money.
You can get something comparable for just a few hundred more through Costco.com when they are running sales. Unless you just want to do your own.

Don't forget a floor drain into a pit of some kind ... you never know when you might need to "drain" some fluids for some reason, if you get my drift ...

Is it dry where you live? ... that flooring will need to be two feet away from the ground or it will rot quicker than sawdust ... since you seem made of money, use 2-by for the floor ... venting venting venting ... you'll need the free flowing of air underneath to keep things intact ... "skids" is an arbitrary term, could mean anything, right? ...

Did I mention venting? ... as high as you can get on the side walls ... someplace for the summer heat to escape and draw in the cool air from underneath through the above mentioned foundation vents ... venting ...

Looks like fun ...

You can get something comparable for just a few hundred more through Costco.com when they are running sales. Unless you just want to do your own.
Thanks Synth. I didn't even know Costco sold sheds.

But I'm committed now. Plus...if it works out I'll build it so I can enlarge it in the future. But I appreciate the advice.

Use concrete.
Can't...unless I want to make it much smaller or get the city involved. Any permanent stucture over 8 feet x10 feet must be permitted, built to code and inspected. I try very hard to keep the city out of my business.
Well, then I'd recommend to use less glass. Without a very solid foundation that structure is going to warp.

Use concrete.
Can't...unless I want to make it much smaller or get the city involved. Any permanent stucture over 8 feet x10 feet must be permitted, built to code and inspected. I try very hard to keep the city out of my business.
Well, then I'd recommend to use less glass. Without a very solid foundation that structure is going to warp.

They've built frame houses for centuries and that never been a problem.

View attachment 349528

View attachment 349537

View attachment 349535

View attachment 349547

...on a tablet of well-aged graph paper that's probably been hiding in the bottom of a desk drawer since 1982 when he was in high school.

Last edited:
Use concrete.

Yes it has.

View attachment 349528

View attachment 349537

View attachment 349535

View attachment 349547

Sheds get extremely hot, if you intend to use it as a workshop or more then just storage then don't forget proper insulation and shading.
Also cans of foam sealant for any gaps crevices and such to seal up the shed to keep bugs and moisture out.

View attachment 349528

View attachment 349537

View attachment 349535

View attachment 349547

...on a tablet of well-aged graph paper that's probably been hiding in the bottom a desk drawer since 1982 when he was in high school.

You dont know how close you are when it comes to the Wife and I.

We have plans we drew back in 90 for our dream home.
Strangely enough they havent changed much.

Use concrete.

Yes it has.

Windows in frame houses is pretty common.

Forum List

Back