1989 Ford F150 ignition button install...

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
The linkage that activates the starter in the steering column of my F150 (gen 8) is giving up...had to turn it with plyers to get it to crank....so I installed an ignition push button start in the dash.

This is how I did it. It isn't necessarily the right way...but it worked for me...ymmv...attempt at your own risk.

The F150 has a starter solenoid on the fender behind the battery. I ran two 14 gauge wires up the fender and across the firewall to the brake booster.

Behind the brake booster is a hole though the firewall. Ran the wires though and they came out under the dash.

There is a blank space available in the lower dash away from the column on the right side. Drilled a 3/4 inch hole for the button. That lower dash just pops loose when pried with a wide bladed standard screw driver.

I use O'Reilly's SSB5 two terminal ignition switch.

One of the wires went to each terminal.

Back at the solenoid...I disconnected the wire to the solenoid that goes to the positive battery terminal. Mine is a three terminal (threaded studs) solenoid...two large on either side and a small one in the centered above the other two. One of the larger terminal studs is the one that went to the positive battery connection. The other goes to the starter and can be ignored.

Crimp or solder appropriate eye connecters to the two wires...one large and one small. I needed a 10-32 nut for the small terminal stud to hold the eye connector in contact, as the lead from the key ignition just pushed on like a sparkplug wire.

Since the button ignition switch isn't polarized...it doesn't matter which wire goes to which terminal. You are basicly installing a 12 volt momentary switch.

And that was it. Works like a charm. Still have to turn the key to the on position...so not like new car fob activated ignition buttons...but instead of pulling the steering wheel and column sheathing, etc...this took maybe an hour and looks pretty spiffy.
You could certainly find another 12 volt source closer and run a shorter wire for power...but since I was running one wire though...two wasn't any harder.

I had wire and most of the eye connectors. The SSB5 switch was $14. Had to buy the 10-32 nut at Ace...23 cents...and some #10 eye connectors (got a bigger one on there in the pictures that works...but better ti have the right size so I'm going to change it)

Pics to follow...

Last edited:
Green wire is on the "hot" 12 volt terminal (with the wire that comes from the positive battery).

It goes through the firewall and to one side of the push button ignition switch.

The black wire is connected to the ignition terminal that activates the solenoid magnet. It runs with the green wire through the firewall to the other side of the ignition button. 20200610_154629(1).jpg

SSB5 ignition button installed...
20200610_154603(1).jpg

how much fer the cables?
How much was the wiring harness?
Like HereWeGoAgain said. It's just wire...the same size I use to fix 12 volt turn signal, marker light and just about every other wire in the autos and trucks. It's hard for me to say how much it is...I buy it by the spool. Not much though.

When this spool was full I think it was $33...for 100 feet. So minus the bulk discount figure 50 cents a foot for 10 feet of each....so ten bucks give or take.

20200610_160523(1).jpg

how much fer the cables?

Cables,Wiring harness?
Are there cables running from your ignition switch?
All your doing in by passing the faulty switch,cables not required.
Yes, all cars have battery cables, duh....

He's not replacing battery cables.
Catch on quick dontcha?
Why is it a cable and not a wire or SOP?

If you dont know the difference your daddy failed you.

how much fer the cables?

Cables,Wiring harness?

Catch on quick dontcha?

I am sorry your dad failed yous. Let us ask the OP.

Was the wire you used to wire the starter (14 gauge) a single strand conductor or a multiple wire conductor (aka stranded) conductor?

how much fer the cables?

Cables,Wiring harness?

Catch on quick dontcha?

I am sorry your dad failed yous. Let us ask the OP.

Was the wire you used to wire the starter (14 gauge) a single strand conductor or a multiple wire conductor (aka stranded) conductor?

Is there thumb thick cables running up your steering column?

Green wire is on the "hot" 12 volt terminal (with the wire that comes from the positive battery).

It goes through the firewall and to one side of the push button ignition switch.

The black wire is connected to the ignition terminal that activates the solenoid magnet. It runs with the green wire through the firewall to the other side of the ignition button.View attachment 348443

View attachment 348444
Good fix. Did you run the wires going through the firewall through a grommet?

So now your truck starts like a Prius......:auiqs.jpg:
Just f'n with ya.
You don't know how tempted I was to get one of those blue backlit Start buttons...but I restrained myself...mostly because the local auto parts stores didn't have them in stock. :D

how much fer the cables?
Like HereWeGoAgain said. It's just wire...the same size I use to fix 12 volt turn signal, marker light and just about every other wire in the autos and trucks. It's hard for me to say how much it is...I buy it by the spool. Not much though.

When this spool was full I think it was $33...for 100 feet. So minus the bulk discount figure 50 cents a foot for 10 feet of each....so ten bucks give or take.

View attachment 348453
next time just use old lamp wire or extension cord,,,its already two wires bonded together,,,
as for the original problem ford did have problems in the column that caused the cylinder to get stiff,,most likely not the switch itself,,

The black wire is connected to the ignition terminal that activates the solenoid magnet. It runs with the green wire through the firewall to the other side of the ignition button.View attachment 348443

View attachment 348444
Thanks. Yes. The hole behind the brake booster already had factory wiring running though it with a factory installed edge protection.

View attachment 348444
Thanks. Yes. The hole behind the brake booster already had factory wiring running though it with a factory installed edge protection.

Running shit through the firewall can be a major pain in the ass.

as for the original problem ford did have problems in the column that caused the cylinder to get stiff,,most likely not the switch itself
Yeah...that linkage is cheap pot metal...but it lasted 30 years. Hard to complain about that.
I did the same thing on my UTV,,its the golf cart kind that dies and starts when you push the gas and the switch went bad under the floor and its all rusted so I pulled my remote starter button out of the tool box and the wires are long enough to hang out under the seat after I gator clipped it to the solenoid,,,
been working fine for months,,,

Forum List

Back