Newsom signs California gun bill modeled after Texas abortion law

States can not write laws that conflict with Federal laws. There is a Federal law that specifically states that Firearms manufacturers can not be sued for individuals using their arms for criminal acts.
And in federal court, they can't be. State court is different.

“California Gov. Gavin Newsom on Friday signed a bill into law that allows private citizens to bring civil action against anyone who manufactures, distributes, transports or imports assault weapons or ghost guns, which are banned in the state.”

This is likely in anticipation of the Supreme Court striking down states’ assault weapon bans.

When that happens, private citizens will continue to enforce the ban via civil suits; the Constitution, the Second Amendment, and rulings of the Supreme Court apply only to government, not private citizens.

And conservatives have only themselves to blame; it was Republican lawmakers who contrived this scheme to circumvent the right to privacy.
Sounds like I am gonna win either way.

:banana:

States can write their own laws. If the tactic is acceptable in Texas for abortions, it's acceptable in California for guns.

Federal law supersedes state law. That's why states can't make their own immigration laws or penalties. Any judge that would rule in favor of a plaintiff could be disbarred.

Once again liberals demonstrate their abject ignorance and down right stupidity. Gun ownership is a Constitutionally protected right, baby killing is not, there is no comparison. On the plus side, Newsom just ended any hopes of ever reaching the White House as anything other than Dr Jill's boy toy.

I don't think he ever stood a chance. He was elected and supported through his recall because the people of California are completely stupid, but the rest of the country is not. Because of that his head got too big.

You'll have to ask Texas politicians why, but since they did it for abortion, and the supreme court approved the tactic, that box has been opened.

Texas didn't violate any federal law.

apple: orange.jpeg

Federal law supersedes state law. That's why states can't make their own immigration laws or penalties. Any judge that would rule in favor of a plaintiff could be disbarred.
Not sure how the California law is different than Texas abortion law. Please explain the difference.

There is no law about abortions at the federal level there IS a law at the federal level PREVENTING firearms manufactures from being sued for such things that have no relation to the making of the firearm.
There are at least three different reasons you are wrong, but I don't really care if you personally don't understand that. Sit back and see if the California law is allowed to go into effect, and get back with me after a few months.

Forum List

Back