New York Yankees 27 World Series Championships

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
Considering the Yankees have won nearly three times as many championships as their next closest competitor, and have racked up about a quarter of the World Series trophies ever awarded, it seems more than unlikely that another team will ever top them.

The Cardinals, with 10 titles, are a distant second. It would take a miracle for them to win the next 18 World Series to pass the Yankees, and even if they produced one title every three years (an amazing feat) it would take them 54 years to pass the Yankees—and that’s only if New York don’t win any titles during that time.

27 Championships is not something we’ll ever see broken by another club. In fact, that mark will only be extended by its owner, if the current Yankees can manage to get past the Tampa Bay Rays.

There isn't too much mystery though as to why/how the Yankees have managed to win so many World Series. It really comes down to who they have had playing for them >>>

1604021754180.png
1604021886249.png
1604021991318.png

1604023382278.png
1604023819209.png
1604024227661.png

1604024065173.png
1604024299458.png
1604025663145.png

1604025900916.png
1604025988413.png

Since the website is not allowing me to post any more pictures, I will post a few in the next post.

Attachments

• 1604021346481.png
    1604021346481.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 1604024014692.png
    1604024014692.png
    32.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 1604024135872.png
    1604024135872.png
    13.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 1604025636218.png
    1604025636218.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 23
For those unaquainted with Yankee history - the players pictured are >>>

Babe Ruth.......Lou Gehrig......Joe Dimaggio.......Bill Dickey.......Yogi Berra........Whitey Ford

Mickey Mantle.......Roger Maris......Thurman Munson....Catfish Hunter.......Reggie Jackson

Red Ruffing..........Ron Guidry.........Andy Pettitte.........Mariano Rivera.......Derek Jeter

It took the Yankees 86 years to win their 27 championships.Why do you think another team couldn't do that?

The Yankees have been in twice as many World Series as the Cardinals, which means they had twice as many opportunities to win the World Series, and they haven't won one in 11 years. Hell, they haven't even made it to the show in 11 years.

The Yankees golden years are behind them, and someone will surpass them; certainly within 86 years...

I have that Munson card, along with his Rookie card. A great Yankee. A great captain. The heart and soul of the 1970s teams. Also, irresponsible to be practicing take-offs and landings in a new aircraft, with his flight hours, and two passengers. His death was devastating to me, more than John Lennon’s was or really any other person I never met.

You’ve left out many great Yankees, including the greatest defensive first baseman in history.

1604032152373.gif

1604032274574.gif

It took the Yankees 86 years to win their 27 championships.Why do you think another team couldn't do that?

The Yankees have been in twice as many World Series as the Cardinals, which means they had twice as many opportunities to win the World Series, and they haven't won one in 11 years. Hell, they haven't even made it to the show in 11 years.

The Yankees golden years are behind them, and someone will surpass them; certainly within 86 years...
And how many championships did the other teams win in that 86 years ? Duh! The most was th Cardinals, with 10, a distant second.

I guess the reason why another team couldn't do that is because THEY HAVEN'T,and that's because they haven't had players like Babe Ruth.......Lou Gehrig......Joe Dimaggio.......Mickey Mantle.......Roger Maris

And maybe you didn't read the OP too closely. Why do I think another team couldn't do that? Repeating the OP >> The Cardinals, with 10 titles, are a distant second. It would take a miracle for them to win the next 18 World Series to pass the Yankees, and even if they produced one title every three years (an amazing feat) it would take them 54 years to pass the Yankees—and that’s only if New York don’t win any titles during that time.

Yeah, you go ahead and bet on that to happen. You do that.

Last edited:
Also, bear in mind that in 1923, when the Yankees won their first championship, they were competing against only 15 other teams. As late as 1962 it was only 19. Today it's 29. They won the majority of their championships when it was much more likely that they could. So, did they get to the World Series twice as much because they were better, or because the odds were better back then for any team to get there?

Look, I'm not saying that the Yankees haven't been what is arguably the most powerful franchise in the history of professional sports. But records are meant to be broken. No one thought Babe Ruth's 714 would fall, but it did. No one thought Roger Maris' 61 home runs in a single season would ever be bested, but it was; four times, in fact. Sandy Koufax's 18 strikeouts in a single game was deemed unbeatable, yet Roger Clemens and Kerry Wood both did it.

One day, the Yankees will be known as the team which used to be known as the most dominant force in professional sports...

Also, bear in mind that in 1923, when the Yankees won their first championship, they were competing against only 15 other teams. As late as 1962 it was only 19. Today it's 29. They won the majority of their championships when it was much more likely that they could. So, did they get to the World Series twice as much because they were better, or because the odds were better back then for any team to get there?

Look, I'm not saying that the Yankees haven't been what is arguably the most powerful franchise in the history of professional sports. But records are meant to be broken. No one thought Babe Ruth's 714 would fall, but it did. No one thought Roger Maris' 61 home runs in a single season would ever be bested, but it was; four times, in fact. Sandy Koufax's 18 strikeouts in a single game was deemed unbeatable, yet Roger Clemens and Kerry Wood both did it.

One day, the Yankees will be known as the team which used to be known as the most dominant force in professional sports...
You display total ignorance. Roger Maris' 61 home runs in a single season was bested, four times ?

EARTH TO CS: Roger Maris' single season home run record has NEVER been bested. It stands today as tall and unique at the end of this years' 2020 baseball season, as it stood in 1961. Where in the world did you get the idea that Maris' record had been broken ?

And you think that Roger Clemens broke Sandy Koufax's record ? Pheeew! (high-pitched whistle). Dude, put your thinking cap on. You think that a steroid player has performance records ? Give us a break. Only thing that can be said for any steroid player is what teams they played for, what position in the field they played, and the dates. That's it. You don't know ?

As for the Yankees being known as the team that used to be known as the most dominant force in professional sports...they are that NOW. Did you think I was saying that the current Yankees are comparable in dominance to the 1936-1939 Yankees that won 4 consecutive WS ? Or the 1949-1953 Yanks that won 5 straight ? They are not even close to that. Yankee dominance was primarily a thing of the 30's, 40' and 50s , with a resurge in the late 90s.

The Yankees have been in twice as many World Series as the Cardinals, which means they had twice as many opportunities to win the World Series,
Because they were better! :lol:
Of course. Does Canon shooter not think that the Yankees in those years that played in all those World Series didn't earn their way to the top ? That their pitchers didn't have to pitch to such hitters as Jimmie Foxx, Hank Greenberg, Ted Williams, Harmon Killebrew, and Rod Carew ?

Babe Ruth.......Lou Gehrig......Joe Dimaggio.......Bill Dickey.......Yogi Berra........Whitey Ford

Mickey Mantle.......Roger Maris......Thurman Munson....Catfish Hunter.......Reggie Jackson

Red Ruffing..........Ron Guidry.........Andy Pettitte.........Mariano Rivera.......Derek Jeter
More great Yankees:

Lefty Gomez
Roy White
Graig Nettles
Phil Rizzuto
Alex Rodriguez
Willie Randolph
Allie Reynolds
Tony Lazzerri
Vic Raschi
Dave Winfield

And my childhood hero, Bobby Murcer.

lol...dude that is some heavy token logic you got there.

More great Yankees:

Lefty Gomez
Roy White
Graig Nettles
Phil Rizzuto
Alex Rodriguez
Willie Randolph
Allie Reynolds
Tony Lazzerri
Vic Raschi
Dave Winfield

I would remove Alex Rodriguez for his steroid involvement, but he's done great as a baseball commentator. The rest of the guys were pretty good players, but they were not in the class of the players I listed.

Example - World series records >>>

Home runs - Mickey Mantle - 18, Babe Ruth - 15

On Base % - Lou Gehrig - .477

Hits - Yogi Berra - 71

Strikeouts - Whitey Ford - 94

Wins - Whitey Ford - 10

More great Yankees:

Lefty Gomez
Roy White
Graig Nettles
Phil Rizzuto
Alex Rodriguez
Willie Randolph
Allie Reynolds
Tony Lazzerri
Vic Raschi
Dave Winfield

I would remove Alex Rodriguez for his steroid involvement, but he's done great as a baseball commentator. The rest of the guys were pretty good players, but they were not in the class of the players I listed.

Example - World series records >>>

Home runs - Mickey Mantle - 18, Babe Ruth - 15

On Base % - Lou Gehrig - .477

Hits - Yogi Berra - 71

Strikeouts - Whitey Ford - 94

Wins - Whitey Ford - 10
That’s postseason. Different animal.

Bill James believes that Roy White was as good a player (or better) than hall of famer Jim Rice. When you compare them he’s right. But no one considers White a hall candidate, and most don’t even know who he is.

Lefty Gomez was great. So was Lazzerri, Rizzuto, Winfield.

Here’s the page with the comparison:

The WAR is nearly the same, and White bests Rice in many offensive categories, especially walks, which weren’t valued in the 1970s. He also had half the strikeouts.

Keep in mind the eras they played: White played in the late 60s and the 70s when offense was a lot lower across the majors.

Last edited:

More great Yankees:

Lefty Gomez
Roy White
Graig Nettles
Phil Rizzuto
Alex Rodriguez
Willie Randolph
Allie Reynolds
Tony Lazzerri
Vic Raschi
Dave Winfield

I'd put Chris Chambliss on that list before Roy White...

You display total ignorance. Roger Maris' 61 home runs in a single season was bested, four times ?

EARTH TO CS: Roger Maris' single season home run record has NEVER been bested. It stands today as tall and unique at the end of this years' 2020 baseball season, as it stood in 1961. Where in the world did you get the idea that Maris' record had been broken ?

And you think that Roger Clemens broke Sandy Koufax's record ? Pheeew! (high-pitched whistle). Dude, put your thinking cap on. You think that a steroid player has performance records ? Give us a break. Only thing that can be said for any steroid player is what teams they played for, what position in the field they played, and the dates. That's it. You don't know ?

As for the Yankees being known as the team that used to be known as the most dominant force in professional sports...they are that NOW. Did you think I was saying that the current Yankees are comparable in dominance to the 1936-1939 Yankees that won 4 consecutive WS ? Or the 1949-1953 Yanks that won 5 straight ? They are not even close to that. Yankee dominance was primarily a thing of the 30's, 40' and 50s , with a resurge in the late 90s.

Geez, Cindy, relax. You're really getting pretty agitated. Simmer down.

You're right, Maris' record wasn't broken four times.

It was broken six.

Sammy Sosa did it three times (1998, 1999, 2001), Mark McGwire did it twice (1998, 1999) and Bobby Bonds did it once (2001). Yes, those all may have asterisks next to them, but the fact remains that 61 home runs in a single season hasn't been the record since 1998.

And, yes, Sandy Koufax's single game strikeout record of 18 was broken by Clemens. Does he have an asterisk next to that stat? Yeah, I suppose so. Kerry Wood does not. Nor does Max Scherzer, who recorded 20 strikeouts in a single game in 2016.

In the last 20 years, the Yankees have won one World Series. In the least 11 years, the San Francisco Giants have won three.

Again, I'm not saying the Yankees were not a great team. That greatness has eluded them as of late...

Forum List

Back