New NSA Ruling out of NY upholds the NSA Surveillance Program

Except for the cases where NSA agents purposefully targeted their exes, and other such nonsense along those lines. Or the simple fact that the rules are written so that agents can make simple assumptions about targets and go from there. So these "inadvertent" violations are purposefully written into the system.

Who is busy hijacking people's computers and writing viruses? I think it is them.

Report: NSA intercepts computer deliveries to plant spyware | PCWorld

WHAT is "called" profiling?

You do know that the NSA Surveillance program is not at all predicated on "profiling," don't you?

Damn but you're confused.

How do you know? It is secret. Since it is secret, they aren't going to tell you the truth.

If it's a "secret," as you just maintained, then you would have ZERO basis to make ANY claim that profiling was involved.

Thanks for refuting yourself.

I have my suspicions and reasons for them but I'm not at liberty to say.
How do you know?

Except for the cases where NSA agents purposefully targeted their exes, and other such nonsense along those lines. Or the simple fact that the rules are written so that agents can make simple assumptions about targets and go from there. So these "inadvertent" violations are purposefully written into the system.

Who is busy hijacking people's computers and writing viruses? I think it is them.

Report: NSA intercepts computer deliveries to plant spyware | PCWorld

But this isn't abuse, at least to Judge Pauley. Though, in all fairness, I doubt he even knew it was going on. From what I could tell he based his entire opinion on press releases from the government, rather than on any knowledge of what's actually happening.

N.Y. judge rules NSA phone surveillance legal - Associated Press - POLITICO.com

A federal judge on Friday found that the National Security Agency's bulk collection of millions of Americans' telephone records is legal and a valuable part of the nation's arsenal to counter the threat of terrorism and "only works because it collects everything."

U.S. District Judge William Pauley said in a written opinion that the program "represents the government's counter-punch" to eliminate al-Qaida's terror network by connecting fragmented and fleeting communications.

"This blunt tool only works because it collects everything," Pauley said. "The collection is broad, but the scope of counterterrorism investigations is unprecedented."

He said the mass collection of phone data "significantly increases the NSA's capability to detect the faintest patterns left behind by individuals affiliated with foreign terrorist organizations. Armed with all the metadata, NSA can draw connections it might otherwise never be able to find."

He added that such a program, if unchecked, "imperils the civil liberties of every citizen" and he noted the lively debate about the subject across the nation, in Congress and at the White House.

"The question for this court is whether the government's bulk telephony metadata program is lawful. This court finds it is. But the question of whether that program should be conducted is for the other two coordinate branches of government to decide," he said.
-- Excerpted from the above linked piece.

A good call. But it isn't over. Clearly, the SCOTUS is going to ultimately have the say on this one.
I think they got it wrong. Hopefully, the SCOTUS will put an end to this program. Give government a micron and they take a light-year.

N.Y. judge rules NSA phone surveillance legal - Associated Press - POLITICO.com

A federal judge on Friday found that the National Security Agency's bulk collection of millions of Americans' telephone records is legal and a valuable part of the nation's arsenal to counter the threat of terrorism and "only works because it collects everything."

U.S. District Judge William Pauley said in a written opinion that the program "represents the government's counter-punch" to eliminate al-Qaida's terror network by connecting fragmented and fleeting communications.

"This blunt tool only works because it collects everything," Pauley said. "The collection is broad, but the scope of counterterrorism investigations is unprecedented."

He said the mass collection of phone data "significantly increases the NSA's capability to detect the faintest patterns left behind by individuals affiliated with foreign terrorist organizations. Armed with all the metadata, NSA can draw connections it might otherwise never be able to find."

He added that such a program, if unchecked, "imperils the civil liberties of every citizen" and he noted the lively debate about the subject across the nation, in Congress and at the White House.

"The question for this court is whether the government's bulk telephony metadata program is lawful. This court finds it is. But the question of whether that program should be conducted is for the other two coordinate branches of government to decide," he said.
-- Excerpted from the above linked piece.

A good call. But it isn't over. Clearly, the SCOTUS is going to ultimately have the say on this one.
I think they got it wrong. Hopefully, the SCOTUS will put an end to this program. Give government a micron and they take a light-year.

I think Judge Pauley got it mainly right and I suspect that the SCOTUS will affirm his ruling.

Your concern about the overly grasp-y nature of government when it comes to taking things and abusing power and authority is certainly fair enough, all the same.

How do you know? It is secret. Since it is secret, they aren't going to tell you the truth.

If it's a "secret," as you just maintained, then you would have ZERO basis to make ANY claim that profiling was involved.

Thanks for refuting yourself.

I have my suspicions and reasons for them but I'm not at liberty to say.
How do you know?

Your reasons are your own. And they are likely as baseless as your baseless assertions.

How do I know that you refuted yourself?

Because you did and it's plain on its face.

Forum List

Back