New French law bans grocers from throwing away food.!!

food sellers in my state are forced to discard food not sold by the "best used
before" date. Such food is still edible. I do not know if there are federal laws

Are you in California?

Our compassionate Communist rulers here would much rather people go hungry than eat canned goods past an artificial expiration date.

(Canned goods don't go bad, unless the vacuum is broken.)

{

The steamboat Bertrand was heavily laden with provisions when it set out on the Missouri River in 1865, destined for the gold mining camps in Fort Benton, Mont. The boat snagged and swamped under the weight, sinking to the bottom of the river. It was found a century later, under 30 feet of silt a little north of Omaha, Neb.

Among the canned food items retrieved from the Bertrand in 1968 were brandied peaches, oysters, plum tomatoes, honey, and mixed vegetables. In 1974, chemists at the National Food Processors Association (NFPA) analyzed the products for bacterial contamination and nutrient value. Although the food had lost its fresh smell and appearance, the NFPA chemists detected no microbial growth and determined that the foods were as safe to eat as they had been when canned more than 100 years earlier.
}

3 On Your Side: Exposing Myths About Expiration Dates On Foods

Expiration dates on canned goods are there to get you to throw away perfectly good food, so that you will buy more.

NBC just was telling people about how canned food is still good after the expiration date.

I keep can sardines and other canned food for doomsday, and will not toss it unless it is something I know I will not eat it, and then I will donate it to a food bank...

me too----but NOT ALL canned foods I keep sardines packed in oil forever too----
make sure the cans do not HEAT UP--------non acidic canned foods CAN harbor
Botulism------it has happened

before" date. Such food is still edible. I do not know if there are federal laws

Are you in California?

Our compassionate Communist rulers here would much rather people go hungry than eat canned goods past an artificial expiration date.

{

The steamboat Bertrand was heavily laden with provisions when it set out on the Missouri River in 1865, destined for the gold mining camps in Fort Benton, Mont. The boat snagged and swamped under the weight, sinking to the bottom of the river. It was found a century later, under 30 feet of silt a little north of Omaha, Neb.

Among the canned food items retrieved from the Bertrand in 1968 were brandied peaches, oysters, plum tomatoes, honey, and mixed vegetables. In 1974, chemists at the National Food Processors Association (NFPA) analyzed the products for bacterial contamination and nutrient value. Although the food had lost its fresh smell and appearance, the NFPA chemists detected no microbial growth and determined that the foods were as safe to eat as they had been when canned more than 100 years earlier.
}

Expiration dates on canned goods are there to get you to throw away perfectly good food, so that you will buy more.

It's illegal to sell food, past its expiration date. You can thank your nanny government for that.

Are you in California?

{

}

It's illegal to sell food, past its expiration date. You can thank your nanny government for that.

for my curiosity----is that state or federal law?

Are you in California?

{

}

bullshit ! that's a decision made by store and restaurant mangers it may be illegal but when has that ever stopped greedy ,unscrupulous asshats from anything?
in high school I worked at a convenience store called U TOTE UM
it was standard practice to sell out of date items the only time they were removed was when the mold was too bad to hide.

Business is being FORCED to give away their product to customers for free. Is that a good business model.?

French law forbids food waste by supermarkets

feb 4 2016 France has become the first country in the world to ban supermarkets from throwing away or destroying unsold food, forcing them instead to donate it to charities and food banks.

Under a law passed unanimously by the French senate, as of Wednesday large shops will no longer bin good quality food approaching its best-before date. Charities will be able to give out millions more free meals each year to people struggling to afford to eat.

The law follows a grassroots campaign in France by shoppers, anti-poverty campaigners and those opposed to food waste. Now bosses of supermarkets with a footprint of 400 sq metres (4,305 sq ft) or more will have to sign donation contracts with charities or face penalties, including fines of up to €75,000 (£53,000) or two years’ imprisonment.

He'll no, it's not! It's absolutely idiotic.

The slippery slope created here, is that people won't buy food, they'll just wait for the grocery to be forced to give it away.

that will not happen-----it has not happened in the USA

Food sellers in America aren't forced by Federal law to not dispose unsold food.
actually its pretty much the opposite, they cant give away the food.

Are you in California?

{

}

bullshit ! that's a decision made by store and restaurant mangers it may be illegal but when has that ever stopped greedy ,unscrupulous asshats from anything?
in high school I worked at a convenience store called U TOTE UM
it was standard practice to sell out of date items the only time they were removed was when the mold was too bad to hide.

Link?

Business is being FORCED to give away their product to customers for free. Is that a good business model.?

feb 4 2016 France has become the first country in the world to ban supermarkets from throwing away or destroying unsold food, forcing them instead to donate it to charities and food banks.

Under a law passed unanimously by the French senate, as of Wednesday large shops will no longer bin good quality food approaching its best-before date. Charities will be able to give out millions more free meals each year to people struggling to afford to eat.

The law follows a grassroots campaign in France by shoppers, anti-poverty campaigners and those opposed to food waste. Now bosses of supermarkets with a footprint of 400 sq metres (4,305 sq ft) or more will have to sign donation contracts with charities or face penalties, including fines of up to €75,000 (£53,000) or two years’ imprisonment.
Great idea

Neither.

Federal law mandates that Baby food be sold withing certain number of weeks.

ALL other expiration’s are voluntary.

Most of them are a scam to get people to throw away perfectly good food and buy more. Pasta doesn't expire, nor does rice or dried beans. So why are their dates? To get you to throw them away and buy more.

The local grocery store(s) in the rural area I lived for the last 20 years always give their expired stuff to the local food banks. Voluntarily.

Neither.

Federal law mandates that Baby food be sold withing certain number of weeks.

ALL other expiration’s are voluntary.

Most of them are a scam to get people to throw away perfectly good food and buy more. Pasta doesn't expire, nor does rice or dried beans. So why are their dates? To get you to throw them away and buy more.

Rumor has it that Rightwinger has been around so long, he's seen honey expire.

In the US, it is illegal......as is pretty much everything else.

Forum List

Back