New "Clean Start" Policy on Creating Threads

Status
Not open for further replies.
We always HAVE been a Discussion board. We've always focused almost solely on getting thread topics to be discussed and not on arbitrary content issues.. STILL completely committed to the Free Speech thing.. But lately, the thread titles and Opening Posts have been giving Free Speech a bad name..

The basic rules are not gonna change much.. There's already a clause for not allowing "baiting and polarizing" Titles and OPsR=21665]Dont Taz Me Bro[/USER]

Free speech is impervious to having a "bad name" and that makes speech you hate all the more difficult to tolerate but the Constitution says we must. As for "baiting", it's the essence of a lively discussion and way to expose liars. Imagine telling a prosecutor he can't bait a defendant to get the truth out of him in court. And now you're going to ban "polarizing" posts? LOL! What is your target audience.....the Mormon church? There ain't nearly enough HOT BLOOD here anymore so you're charging those trying to get something going with a crime? I ain't long for these parts....already decided not to OP here anymore after today. By next week at this time I'll be gone johnson.
Free speech is impervious to having a "bad name" and that makes speech you hate all the more difficult to tolerate but the Constitution says we must.

You're lecturing someone who didn't just discover freedoms, liberty and Civil Liberties.. Free speech gets a bad name when the MAJORITY of it personal slander, diversion, repetitious sloganeering, generalizing about groups, parties, and races.. In that sense, it has little value.. All that fancy talk was to preserve DIALOGUE, DEBATE, SCIENCE, RELIGION, not 4th grade level hissy fits and taunting...

It sounds as if the Mods are looking for a new user base. Iā€™m quite positive the bulk of the users here seek the very ā€œinflammatoryā€ discussion the mods seem to detest.
NOBODY spends time here with the intent to change minds and almost NO political discussion ANYWHERE stays civil and polite. Further, almost no thread without ā€œBAITā€ is very active, itā€™s the bait that encourages users to engage.
This is all just plain weird...looks like Democrat type ā€˜steeringā€™ to me.
ā€œSay what I want you to say just the way I want you to say it and weā€™ll get along just fine. Is that really too much to ask?ā€

Iā€™m quite positive the bulk of the users here seek the very ā€œinflammatoryā€ discussion the mods seem to detest.

as already stated, we have Zone 3, (Rubber Room, Badlands, and Flame Zone), for that type interaction.

My bet is, if the Mods go full Nazi in the primary ā€˜politicsā€™ forum as proposed youā€™ll end up with seven active/common users there and everyone legit who values their First Amendment right will end up posting in Rubber Room, Badlands, and FZ...is that the goal? Again, thats weird, why the semantics?...Itā€™s like yaā€™ll donā€™t know your user and or donā€™t pay attention to the dynamic of EVERY political discussion and where they all eventually end up.
The problem the Cyberspace Speech Police have is that good real Americans expect to take their 1A rights with them EVERYWHERE they go.
You do know we arenā€™t discussing cooking recipes...right?

Maybe you should start at post #1, and reread this thread.

That has all been discussed.

None of the news media on either side abide by the above rules. I don't disagree with the above rule changes but it's disconnected from the outside real world of politics, just saying.

None of the news media on either side abide by the above rules. I don't disagree with the above rule changes but it's disconnected from the outside real world of politics, just saying.

The USMB is not a news media outlet, I thought we were more of a social media website. And they do moderate the content, true?

To me, this ain't that hard to understand. If you wanna be a dick, do it in the Taunting area, no problem. If you want to have a serious discussion, then you have to have a serious OP with a title that reflects the subject. But if you can't take the time to do that, then what's your point? Too lazy? Too stupid? Or do you just wanna bitch about something? There's a place for that, use it and leave the rest of us alone.

Eh...I just wonā€™t post any more threads. No biggie.
I was thinking the same thing. And when I did..it was usually in General Discussion where nothing really matters...or so they said.
There IS a place not far from here that is mainly debating politics. USMB was not counted as a debate forum. Its a discussion forum. Chit chat. Disagreements. Bickering. Laughs. Hanging out. But its getting a bit...whats the word I want?....uppity in how to start a topic, where to start a topic, how many sentences must be used in said topic, what words can and cannot be used in the title of the topic, yadda yadda.
I'll pass. Too much to remember. Sooooooooooo.....nope.

..I agree ...
3) The "user content" in OPs that the existing rules require needs to be "stepped up".. "Get a load of this" -- is no longer sufficient topical content"... Must be 2 lines or more.. The more the better.. Must SUMMARIZE the topic to be discussed and why you think it NEEDS discussion..
the liberals post a lot of crap [ no evidence ] ....it's just babble .....get rid of the babble

[ is this considered relative to the topic? ]

We always HAVE been a Discussion board. We've always focused almost solely on getting thread topics to be discussed and not on arbitrary content issues.. STILL completely committed to the Free Speech thing.. But lately, the thread titles and Opening Posts have been giving Free Speech a bad name..

The basic rules are not gonna change much.. There's already a clause for not allowing "baiting and polarizing" Titles and OPsR=21665]Dont Taz Me Bro[/USER]

Free speech is impervious to having a "bad name" and that makes speech you hate all the more difficult to tolerate but the Constitution says we must. As for "baiting", it's the essence of a lively discussion and way to expose liars. Imagine telling a prosecutor he can't bait a defendant to get the truth out of him in court. And now you're going to ban "polarizing" posts? LOL! What is your target audience.....the Mormon church? There ain't nearly enough HOT BLOOD here anymore so you're charging those trying to get something going with a crime? I ain't long for these parts....already decided not to OP here anymore after today. By next week at this time I'll be gone johnson.
Free speech is impervious to having a "bad name" and that makes speech you hate all the more difficult to tolerate but the Constitution says we must.

You're lecturing someone who didn't just discover freedoms, liberty and Civil Liberties.. Free speech gets a bad name when the MAJORITY of it personal slander, diversion, repetitious sloganeering, generalizing about groups, parties, and races.. In that sense, it has little value.. All that fancy talk was to preserve DIALOGUE, DEBATE, SCIENCE, RELIGION, not 4th grade level hissy fits and taunting...

It sounds as if the Mods are looking for a new user base. Iā€™m quite positive the bulk of the users here seek the very ā€œinflammatoryā€ discussion the mods seem to detest.
NOBODY spends time here with the intent to change minds and almost NO political discussion ANYWHERE stays civil and polite. Further, almost no thread without ā€œBAITā€ is very active, itā€™s the bait that encourages users to engage.
This is all just plain weird...looks like Democrat type ā€˜steeringā€™ to me.
ā€œSay what I want you to say just the way I want you to say it and weā€™ll get along just fine. Is that really too much to ask?ā€

Iā€™m quite positive the bulk of the users here seek the very ā€œinflammatoryā€ discussion the mods seem to detest.

as already stated, we have Zone 3, (Rubber Room, Badlands, and Flame Zone), for that type interaction.
Maybe I missed it but....I asked if Rubber Room, Badlands and Flame Zone will have the same rules as Flacal stated in this thread and did not get an answer.

So again...will those 3 forums stay as is, or will they have the same rules? 2 I can get in to. One I can't, Which is fine. But I'd sure like to see an answer?
I don't mind RR, BL and CS to post in. And I won't keep tweeting threads to twatter any more either. They hate rules too. So they left for Parler. USMB is not the only board around here. PF, DB, a few others. Personally I'd prefer to stay but I want to know what forums I can hang out in, be myself, and not get in trouble.

I want to know what forums I can hang out in, be myself, and not get in trouble.
So..if this simple question can be answered, I would appreciate it. FZ, RR,BL. Will these three forums be exempt from these new rules...or not?

Thanks in advance for responding.

I was thinking the same thing. And when I did..it was usually in General Discussion where nothing really matters...or so they said.
There IS a place not far from here that is mainly debating politics. USMB was not counted as a debate forum. Its a discussion forum. Chit chat. Disagreements. Bickering. Laughs. Hanging out. But its getting a bit...whats the word I want?....uppity in how to start a topic, where to start a topic, how many sentences must be used in said topic, what words can and cannot be used in the title of the topic, yadda yadda.
I post using my phone. Starting threads is already kind of a hassle even without the 2 sentence / 14 ( approved word ) rule. So. I just will decline doing it. Iā€™ll stick to topics already open.

Last edited:
Do you really thinnk NOW is the time to be doing this when things in the real world are so screwed up? Tensions are running high. People need to vent. Topics will wind up off course. Maybe a mod warning of Address The Post, Not The Poster would suffice to cool things off instead of new rules, regulations, how many sentences, temp bannings, etc?

Mod note and warnings USED to have an effect-- not much anymore with the anger and noise that's going on..

We haven't changed the rules by more than a bit.. We've just asked for MORE effort and thought by upping post requirements for CONTENT over flame/snark/deflections. And in specific ways.. Don't see that as draconian considering the moronic level of the PROFESSIONAL media that have LOWERED their effort and thought in SERVING US the stories we discuss here.. Largely, the level of discourse HERE follows the media down to sewer to being IRRELEVANT in learning anything or being EFFECTIVE when you converse with folks who dont think -- or dont think like you do...

We were losing mostly the members who DID "have a game" at discussion.. And attracting too many who have little interest in TOPICAL discussion... AND the mod staff dreaded reading this crap.. Couldn't do it much longer even if we WERE payed...

My assessment of the new "rules."

1596668396207.png

Seriously...they are gonna have to get more mods. I have been all over this board the past half hour, reading titles, some comments, and its a mess with lots of New Rule breakings.
Be diverse. Black. Female. Or Hispanic. Female. Asian. Female. Hey! PoliticalChick would be great! She doesn't resort to name calling. Neither does Foxfyre or Beautress. Not sure of their race though.

Now gimme my NIFNR badge. (New Ideas For New Rules) ;)

You mentioned female 3 times in there.. Are you sexist or something?? It used to be more productive to spend time reading.. But when the flame throwers come at the titles/OPs/and first pages -- the chance of having a discussion is dead..

I post using my phone. Starting threads is already kind of a hassle even without the 2 sentence / 14 ( approved word ) rule. So. I just will decline doing it. Iā€™ll stick to topics already open.

Even tho we chose a forum app that handles mobile "just OK" -- to be honest, phones aint for watching movies or discussion boards.. They are more for SnapChat and Twitter.. It's just a reality.. I don't know why anyone would discuss anything deeper than the length of a text message..

If you could ask Marshall McCluhan back in the 70s what was gonna happen sociologically when random anonymous people were connected routinely by electronics -- he would tell ya -- it's not gonna improve understanding or discourse... It's gonna MAKE US -- more tribal and wary of "the other"...

Lol, USMB got woke....like Fakebook, Twattwitter, etc.

People, it's an obscure political message forum, get a grip....maybe and a big maybe 200 people in a population of over 300 million.

With that said USMB advertises let your voice be heard....but don't say banned words and include 5 or 6 words on "topic"....

In 1930's Germany that's how it started

Think hard....

Last? If some mod deletes a comment then own it and stop the crap software doesn't do that. It's bullshit and cowardly.

The "crap software" dont do that.. It remembers with mod made the deletion in the "mod view" and any mod can tell ya -- but there's no box to check to identify the "deleting party" in the alert..

As for asking for "a bit more effort and content" -- the comparison to Nazis just make you look hysterical and unhinged..

How do you censor anything by asking for MORE relevant topical content in an ADULT discussion?

Seriously...they are gonna have to get more mods. I have been all over this board the past half hour, reading titles, some comments, and its a mess with lots of New Rule breakings.
Be diverse. Black. Female. Or Hispanic. Female. Asian. Female. Hey! PoliticalChick would be great! She doesn't resort to name calling. Neither does Foxfyre or Beautress. Not sure of their race though.

Now gimme my NIFNR badge. (New Ideas For New Rules) ;)

You mentioned female 3 times in there.. Are you sexist or something?? It used to be more productive to spend time reading.. But when the flame throwers come at the titles/OPs/and first pages -- the chance of having a discussion is dead..
It was, what I considered, "wry humor". You know....Black Female as VP. Over and over and over. Diversenessity or whatever they call it. In short..i twas semi joking on a serious topic about needing more mods. Sorry. I thought you'd get it. The intent. lol

And still, yo uhave not answered my question. Do these new rules pertain to FZ BL and RR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back