Nelson Mandela's Example and Why We Should Follow It

The Democrat party can never be forgiven for its transgressions against humanity.

Really? I cant think of anything lately that I agree with Democrats on, but I have no problem forgiving them.

Especially since I know I need to be forgiven. We will be given mercy only if we give mercy.

Just so you know that user has been pinked. It would be wise to cease discussion of members who have already been sent on vacation to avoid being slapped with an infraction.

Sometimes, there are things you must point your finger at.

OR....We can all go crazy, and ACT like there is no problem, and blacks just stop trying to point out the obvious and keep dialogue open ....and just decide to kill everyone they see being racist.

OR... we can address the fucking racism. Which will in fact, entail us pointing a finger at the racist and their ways.

OR....we can act crazy like Taliban, and don't point a finger at anyone, but just become maniacal lunatics killing everyone that we think are racist.

Like Zimmerman.

We can sit up here and POINT at an all white, jury, cops, D.A., judge, prosecutors, defense team, med examiners, etc....that lets an unarmed black kid doing nothing wrong be killed.

OR....we don't have to POINT OUT a damn thing, but just kill him and anyone with him.

Which do you think is a wiser course for Black Americans?

Belong to neither party but instead play the parties against one another so they both want to get your votes.

If you never vote Republican and always vote Democrat, why would either party have any incentive to do something that benefits your community.

Of course, I tend think it be better to stop thinking in terms of race and be individuals. But if you are going to remain a united voting block, it seems only logical to play the parties against one another to get what you want rather than give one party no incentive to help you since you never vote for them and have the other party take your vote for granted because you continue to vote for them regardless of what they do for you.

"In one of his last foreign policy interventions, he issued a searing rebuke of George W. Bush on the eve of the US invasion of Iraq in 2003, calling him "a president who has no foresight, who cannot think properly, is now wanting to plunge the world into a holocaust."

Anti-apartheid hero Nelson Mandela dies aged 95 | Maan News Agency

Goes to show Mandela wasn't always right. There hasnt been any holocaust.

But just because people are wrong sometimes, doesn't mean we should trash them.

I would never call BushI a war criminal, and neither did Mandela, but I'm not so sure he was wrong.

Half-Million Iraqis Died in the War, New Study Says

Not that Saddam was any great treat to humanity.

Sigh, and some of you are the reason I became a libertarian.. deltex, Katz, he who shall not be named, and Wildman for example. Liberals and Conservatives act in similar ways. They spout off without first looking for the facts.

Anyways, can anyone explain why he was put on the terrorist list?

Perhaps if you knew why, you would stop calling him a terrorist and get with the program.

South Africa’s apartheid regime designated Mandela’s African National Congress (ANC) as a terrorist organization for its resistance to the nation’s legalized system of racial segregation that lasted from 1948 to 1994. President George W. Bush signed a bill removing Mandela and the ANC from the Terror watchlist in 2008.

Even then Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice acknowledged the mistake of keeping the ANC and Mandela on the list, stating the it was a "rather embarrassing matter that I still have to waive in my own counterpart, the foreign minister of South Africa, not to mention the great leader Nelson Mandela."

The bill Bush signed, H.R. 5690, was proposed by Democrat Howard L. Berman.

And some called Jesus a terrorist...after looking into the facts...and then they crucified Him...damned libertarians....:lol

I blame the Jews. (-:

And I bless the Jews.

"In one of his last foreign policy interventions, he issued a searing rebuke of George W. Bush on the eve of the US invasion of Iraq in 2003, calling him "a president who has no foresight, who cannot think properly, is now wanting to plunge the world into a holocaust."

Anti-apartheid hero Nelson Mandela dies aged 95 | Maan News Agency

Goes to show Mandela wasn't always right. There hasnt been any holocaust.

But just because people are wrong sometimes, doesn't mean we should trash them.

I would never call BushI a war criminal, and neither did Mandela, but I'm not so sure he was wrong.

Half-Million Iraqis Died in the War, New Study Says

Not that Saddam was any great treat to humanity.

What does GHWB have anything to with what I commented on?

Ah, you commented that Mandela was wrong about the comment that the Iraq war would usher in a "holocaust." Hyperbole to be sure, but we got ethnic cleansing with all the associated butchery, and somewhere around 500K Iraqi dead. At the time, cheney was suggesting they'd throw roses and embrace capitalism.

Is this the birth of the Mandela myth?

A gentle man of peace and kindness who unified South Africa.

It isn't true. Not a shred of it.

In his dotage he was not as violent as he was in his youth. After 27 years in prison he and his guards came to respect one another. While it is true that Mandela did practice forgiveness, he only found forgiveness for the survivors of his slaughter and then only after all they had was looted away.

South Africa is not close to being unified. It is eternally on the cusp of collapse. There is one thing Mandela did not do and had no intention of doing. Remove corruption from the ANC. It pays too well and paid him too well.

Ah, you commented that Mandela was wrong about the comment that the Iraq war would usher in a "holocaust." Hyperbole to be sure, but we got ethnic cleansing with all the associated butchery, and somewhere around 500K Iraqi dead. At the time, cheney was suggesting they'd throw roses and embrace capitalism.

Somewhere around 500k? I hope so...

Somewhere around 500k? I hope so...

A pity you weren't among them.

Mandela did, though, allude to a symbiotic relationship with the Communists in his bestselling biography, The Long Walk to Freedom. "There will always be those who say that the Communists were using us," he wrote. "But who is to say that we were not using them?"

Mandela wrote a book. How to be a good communist. It is still available.

Mandela did, though, allude to a symbiotic relationship with the Communists in his bestselling biography, The Long Walk to Freedom. "There will always be those who say that the Communists were using us," he wrote. "But who is to say that we were not using them?"

Mandela wrote a book. How to be a good communist. It is still available.

Sigh. You and bigreb seem to have a hard time telling me what he did that made him a full blown communist. What did he do as President of South Africa that would lead you to believe he was?

#1.) Mandela cleaned up the country’s monetary policy. Part of the new political paradigm included increasing administrative transparency at many levels. The modernization efforts Mandela oversaw at the South African Reserve Bank helped slash inflation from nearly 9.83 percent the year Mandela took office to 2.24 percent when he retired from office in 1999.

"Under the leadership of Mr. Mandela, South Africa made great strides in improving the overall quality of its institutions, which in turn has had a positive impact on the economy," wrote Shilan Shah, Africa analyst for Captial Economics, in a research note published Friday.

#2.) Mandela did not follow Robert Mugabe’s lead. Zimbabwe went through a similar, complicated transition from minority to majority rule, and many in South Africa considered following the pattern of land appropriation from white Zimbabweans under Mugabe. Starting just a couple of years before Mandela was elected, President Mugabe began land reforms that took white Zimbabwean farmers’ properties and granted them to political cronies. Mandela faced pressure to follow a similar plan in South Africa. Fortunately, he resisted. Mugabe’s land reform policy destroyed a huge segment of national agricultural productivity, scared away regional and international investment and sent inflation into four digits.

#3.) Mandela formed an alliance with trade unions that increased worker productivity and lowered unemployment. He oversaw a new relationship between the African National Congress, which he headed in the years before he became president, and the Congress for South African Trade Unions (COSATU). Remember, black South African suffered profound workplace discrimination under the racist policies of apartheid. Mandela worked with the unions to help boost employment opportunities for a segment of the population that needed to have more job opportunities in the new post-apartheid era. While this alliance between the ANC and COSATU is viewed by many as an impediment to jobs growth today, in the early '90s it was absolutely necessary to avoid social unrest linked to economic marginalization of low-wage black South African workers.

#4.) Mandela expressed ideological flexibility by eschewing hard-left economic theory and moving to the center. After Mandela was released from prison in 1990, his economic views were more closely aligned with those in Cuba and Venezuela today: heavy control of commercial activity by the state and complete state control over key industries. By 1994, Mandela was a Keynesian, rolling out the welcome mat to foreign investment while tightly directing industrial activity. Had Mandela held out on his earlier, more radical views, investment would have gone elsewhere. Mandela’s relaxing of his earlier stance on economics helped bring investment back to the country that had fled (or was forced to flee) during apartheid.

Four Things Nelson 'Madiba' Mandela Did That Helped Revive The South Africa Economy, Which Had Been Battered by Apartheid Sanctions

During my lifetime I have dedicated myself to this struggle of the African people. I have fought white domination, and I have fought black domination. I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony and with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope live for and achieve. But if needs be, it is an ideal for which I am prepared to die.

Nelson Mandela, 1964

Ben-

That was way out of line. I don't care who you are. Wishing that someone would die in an act of genocide or ethnic cleansing is wrong. I'm utterly shocked by the lack of civility you displayed here.

In America, racism runs deeper.

So THE REASON the parties are forever locked in dispute is because MANY REPUBLICANS ARE RACIST, and it doesn't matter what democrats want or do...they will fight to the death against it BECAUSE it may benefit blacks who are democrats.

If blacks started their own party, republicans would OVERNIGHT, cease to attack democrats.

No, Asclepias, no.

And America is more advanced in facing, discussing, reflecting upon, and teaching about 'race' and racial relations than most other places in the world.

In America, racism runs deeper.

Blacks aren't the problem, but the victims of extreme racism.

So blacks have JUST gotten "freedom" the last 40 years, and still face discrimination in this predominant white society. So we vote democratic today so we can continue to move foward. But MANY of the racists are in the republican party.

So THE REASON the parties are forever locked in dispute is because MANY REPUBLICANS ARE RACIST, and it doesn't matter what democrats want or do...they will fight to the death against it BECAUSE it may benefit blacks who are democrats.

If blacks started their own party, republicans would OVERNIGHT, cease to attack democrats.

It's not a black and white issue, it's green. It's a system of unfair taxation that negatively impacts middle economic classes and unfairly rewards the extremes at the top and the bottom.

Black and white strife is a symptom, not the disease. The disease is corruption.

Congress needs to be stripped of its power to customize the tax burden for individuals, organizations and interests that they deem 'special'. Fair and simple taxes.

Congress needs to be stripped of its power to spend money that they are unwilling to collect from their current constituencies. Public budgets that are balanced by law.

Forum List

Back