Need Some Help

Bloodrock44

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
Buzzard Gulch, NC
I am not that computer savvy so I would appreciate some help. I Have a Dell Inspiron laptop. Just received a notice that my hard drive failed a diagnostic test and since it's still under warrenty, they are sending me a new hard drive. However, everything seems to be working fine. Do I replace it now or do I wait to see if it goes bad? Do I need to back everything up? Is the Dell Data Safe the best way to back up files? Anything else I need to know or do? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
How did you receive the notice? Software? Hardware?

Without turning it on, how many megabytes or gigabytes do you have filled?

How old is your computer?

Don't panic but you want to not run the machine unless you make a backup.

There are several ways to make a backup if you have enough spare memory. Usb external hard drive, dvd or cd writer or memory stick.

Did you ask dell for drivers and an instalation disk? The hard drive will probably be blank and you need a copy of windows and your drivers to reinstal windows. It took me six hours to reinstall windows xp which is a small operating system compared to the newer ones.

I have some suggestions based on the route you take but you need to act asap on saving your data.

There are also tutorials on saving your email from outlook. First you have to identify what version you have from Outlook 's help command in the menu.

There are several ways to make a backup if you have enough spare memory. Usb external hard drive, dvd or cd writer or memory stick.

Did you ask dell for drivers and an instalation disk? The hard drive will probably be blank and you need a copy of windows and your drivers to reinstal windows. It took me six hours to reinstall windows xp which is a small operating system compared to the newer ones.

I have some suggestions based on the route you take but you need to act asap on saving your data.

Thanks Chuck. The message popped up on my tool bar. Then it took me to Dell.com. I have 400 free GB from a total of 450. The computer is 1 year old. I have all the drivers and disks I need. And I'm on the laptop top we are speaking of. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it. I can't tell anything different. And I got the message a couple days ago.

Thanks Chuck. The message popped up on my tool bar. Then it took me to Dell.com. I have 400 free GB from a total of 450. The computer is 1 year old. I have all the drivers and disks I need. And I'm on the laptop top we are speaking of. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it. I can't tell anything different. And I got the message a couple days ago.

How often do you get the message?

It is always good to back up your data and make a habit of it.

Laptops are a little harder to take apart than desktops.

You want to read about the drivers before you install them.
Sometimes they give you drivers you don't use.
You don't want drivers that will make your computer behave differently.

Save your files and change the hard drive. If you have bad segments in the hard drive it will cause problems.
Not a big deal but you might want someone that works on computers to change it for you in a static and dust free environment. Most Dells are not easy pop out cartridges, I don't think. It should only take them a few minutes to change out.
Use the cloud to back up your files if you don't have a thumb drive(s). Most sites give a month free unlimited or 15 GB free. There are about a dozen good cloud sites. Photos and music, a lot of them are free. Files/documents lots of ways to save and back them up. Programs are the ones you might be best using the cloud and back up service for. You might want to compress all your files before saving, sending or transferring. Sending some of them by E-mail to yourself is another way to transfer them.

hard drive is made up of disks, segments and sectors. Any of them can go bad.
solid state is more stable but a bit slower. Most likely found in these new flat and light weight computers.

Thanks all! I don't have that much to back up. Just my documents and pictures which I can transfer to a flash drive. When my daughters hard drive crashed, Dell sent a guy to change it out. I'll chat with Dell and see if they will do that again. If not I have computer savvy friends who will do it.

Save your files and change the hard drive. If you have bad segments in the hard drive it will cause problems.
Not a big deal but you might want someone that works on computers to change it for you in a static and dust free environment. Most Dells are not easy pop out cartridges, I don't think. It should only take them a few minutes to change out.
Use the cloud to back up your files if you don't have a thumb drive(s). Most sites give a month free unlimited or 15 GB free. There are about a dozen good cloud sites. Photos and music, a lot of them are free. Files/documents lots of ways to save and back them up. Programs are the ones you might be best using the cloud and back up service for. You might want to compress all your files before saving, sending or transferring. Sending some of them by E-mail to yourself is another way to transfer them.

You just have to ground yourself and work on a clean table.
Don't move your feet unless grounding yourself before working on carpet.

hard drive is made up of disks, segments and sectors. Any of them can go bad.
solid state is more stable but a bit slower. Most likely found in these new flat and light weight computers.

Flash drives are warrantied for two years because the weakest part is the crystal.

The memory could last longer - maybe 21 years.

Back up your data and keep using the old drive, with backups, until it fails. The only reason to switch now is if Dell is insisting that you send them the old drive back.

Back up your data and keep using the old drive, with backups, until it fails. The only reason to switch now is if Dell is insisting that you send them the old drive back.

They sent us a printer. The software did an automatic update without asking me and it made the printhead obsolete. I called the tech and he started asking accusatory questions as if I did the software update. They had to send me a new printhead. I had to change it and send the old one back. I asked for payment because I told them any tech would have been paid to fix the printer that came broke. They never paid me.

They sent us a printer. The software did an automatic update without asking me and it made the printhead obsolete. I called the tech and he started asking accusatory questions as if I did the software update. They had to send me a new printhead. I had to change it and send the old one back. I asked for payment because I told them any tech would have been paid to fix the printer that came broke. They never paid me.

Every competent tech charges extra to work on Dell because their customer service sucks. They don't provide the proper software and drivers you need if you do a recovery on your computer, and they take hours to answer simple questions. I stopped taking customers that have Dell computers years ago.

Every competent tech charges extra to work on Dell because their customer service sucks. They don't provide the proper software and drivers you need if you do a recovery on your computer, and they take hours to answer simple questions. I stopped taking customers that have Dell computers years ago.

We must have been fortunate. I used our service tag number to get a bigger and compatible hard drive and I re-ordered the re-install disk and they sent me drivers on a CD even though they gave me a link to download them.

Dell might be changed because they are going private.

I did the work myself. It took me six hours. They try to make things into a service call but I just say, "no".

I am not that computer savvy so I would appreciate some help. I Have a Dell Inspiron laptop. Just received a notice that my hard drive failed a diagnostic test and since it's still under warrenty, they are sending me a new hard drive. However, everything seems to be working fine. Do I replace it now or do I wait to see if it goes bad? Do I need to back everything up? Is the Dell Data Safe the best way to back up files? Anything else I need to know or do? Thanks in advance.

Sounds like time for a Christmas present. Go to Best Buy and get a new laptop at holiday pricing. Download your backed-up personal files to the new computer.

Enjoy!

We must have been fortunate. I used our service tag number to get a bigger and compatible hard drive and I re-ordered the re-install disk and they sent me drivers on a CD even though they gave me a link to download them.

I did the work myself. It took me six hours. They try to make things into a service call but I just say, "no".

You have no idea.

Dell complaints ? Index page

my best advice....ditch the del and get something better!!!!

my best advice....ditch the del and get something better!!!!

See...heck, get two laptops.

You have no idea.

Dell complaints ? Index page

They're lucky they aren't getting sued for that website.

Our last two computers were Dell. The only complaint I have is the Belkin Easy Software Transfer cable and the old speakers for the old computer. Our first one lasted for ten years and still works but we decided to have a backup and get a new one which is much faster.

I have no idea because we don't have problems.

Forum List

Back