Need Some Help

Just got a call from the Dell guy. He will be here this afternoon to replace my hard drive. This is the second time they said they would mail a new hard drive and yet they have sent someone to replace it. Like I said I have never had a problem with Dell.

At least you can be sure it will be done right (hopeful) and he will get you up and running again. I would ask questions and watch so that you can do stuff like this in the future.

Why would I have a contract to get support when most Windows problems are easily fixed with a system restore, and the ones that aren't are the ones where Microsoft is going to advise me to reinstall Windows anyway? That is the biggest advantage of Windows 8, you can reset Windows without reinstalling it.

Because system restore doesn't always work.
We had a problem where we had to use system restore twice.
Guys at work like free software so they installed a virus and it wouldn't let me install a virus checker. System restore was disabled as well. I am happy the lease was up so we could give that computer back.

I had a free Isp program damage my computer. The computer kept resetting the system registry where by the time I got done installing software, it would forget the installed software. Bet you've never had problems like that. Microsoft told me to contact my computer manufacturer but it wasn't the manufacturer's fault. It was software.

A Microsoft update at work took out our server. I.T. had to roll the updates back. When yoh have 80K invested in a server, paid support is not allowed on it. That is why there are I.T. guys. And when the boss is paying them, they aren't open to letting people play with it.

Your IT department uninstalled an update? I have done that a few times, it is a function built into Windows.

But if you don't know what the problem is...
Just saying.

Because system restore doesn't always work.
We had a problem where we had to use system restore twice.
Guys at work like free software so they installed a virus and it wouldn't let me install a virus checker. System restore was disabled as well. I am happy the lease was up so we could give that computer back.

I had a free Isp program damage my computer. The computer kept resetting the system registry where by the time I got done installing software, it would forget the installed software. Bet you've never had problems like that. Microsoft told me to contact my computer manufacturer but it wasn't the manufacturer's fault. It was software.

A Microsoft update at work took out our server. I.T. had to roll the updates back. When yoh have 80K invested in a server, paid support is not allowed on it. That is why there are I.T. guys. And when the boss is paying them, they aren't open to letting people play with it.

Your IT department uninstalled an update? I have done that a few times, it is a function built into Windows.

But if you don't know what the problem is...
Just saying.

Here is a link to the best IT tool in the world.

OK. The Dell guy stopped by and installed my new hard drive. Took about half an hour. I'm back in business. I will have to say, I am totally satisfied with Dell. The laptops aren't that expensive and the service has been great.

OK. The Dell guy stopped by and installed my new hard drive. Took about half an hour. I'm back in business. I will have to say, I am totally satisfied with Dell. The laptops aren't that expensive and the service has been great.

Did the tech man take the old hard drive with him? If not, you can put it in a case and use it as an external hard drive if you trust it.

Forum List

Back