Need Some Help

I am not that computer savvy so I would appreciate some help. I Have a Dell Inspiron laptop. Just received a notice that my hard drive failed a diagnostic test and since it's still under warrenty, they are sending me a new hard drive. However, everything seems to be working fine. Do I replace it now or do I wait to see if it goes bad? Do I need to back everything up? Is the Dell Data Safe the best way to back up files? Anything else I need to know or do? Thanks in advance.

my best advice....ditch the del and get something better!!!!

See...heck, get two laptops.

lol..... have you been keeping an eye on me or something..... i tell ya, when i toast them they go in pairs.

We must have been fortunate. I used our service tag number to get a bigger and compatible hard drive and I re-ordered the re-install disk and they sent me drivers on a CD even though they gave me a link to download them.

Dell might be changed because they are going private.

I did the work myself. It took me six hours. They try to make things into a service call but I just say, "no".

You have no idea.

Dell complaints ? Index page

They're lucky they aren't getting sued for that website.

Our last two computers were Dell. The only complaint I have is the Belkin Easy Software Transfer cable and the old speakers for the old computer. Our first one lasted for ten years and still works but we decided to have a backup and get a new one which is much faster.

I have no idea because we don't have problems.

It always amazes me that non tech people love Dell.

http://randomlylearned.blogspot.com/2011/06/dell-customer-care-sucks-do-not-buy.html

Last edited:
I am not that computer savvy so I would appreciate some help. I Have a Dell Inspiron laptop. Just received a notice that my hard drive failed a diagnostic test and since it's still under warrenty, they are sending me a new hard drive. However, everything seems to be working fine. Do I replace it now or do I wait to see if it goes bad? Do I need to back everything up? Is the Dell Data Safe the best way to back up files? Anything else I need to know or do? Thanks in advance.

Reboot your computer, when the Dell "splash screen" comes up hit F12 to enter the boot menu. Select "Boot to Utility Partition", use arrow keys to select "enter", press enter then use the Tab key to select "System test", press enter. If there it as problem it will come back with an error code, look up the error code online, with most HD problems it will be a "Short Test Fail". The diagnostic program could take an hour to run.

Our last two computers were Dell. The only complaint I have is the Belkin Easy Software Transfer cable and the old speakers for the old computer. Our first one lasted for ten years and still works but we decided to have a backup and get a new one which is much faster.

Randomly Learned: Dell Customer Care Sucks - Do Not Buy From Dell Outlet!

It has usually been the price. HP wasn't much better and we never contacted them.

I have never had a problem with Dell. The last one I had I slammed it closed and crashed the hard drive. They sent a guy out to replace it no charge. I gave it to my daughter and bought this one. And this one seems to be working fine.

Randomly Learned: Dell Customer Care Sucks - Do Not Buy From Dell Outlet!

It has usually been the price. HP wasn't much better and we never contacted them.

If cost is the main consideration buy Asus. they are cheaper, and considerably less likely to have an issue out of the box.

Every competent tech charges extra to work on Dell because their customer service sucks. They don't provide the proper software and drivers you need if you do a recovery on your computer, and they take hours to answer simple questions. I stopped taking customers that have Dell computers years ago.

We must have been fortunate. I used our service tag number to get a bigger and compatible hard drive and I re-ordered the re-install disk and they sent me drivers on a CD even though they gave me a link to download them.

I did the work myself. It took me six hours. They try to make things into a service call but I just say, "no".

You have no idea.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. And people hate HP, Lenovo, Microsoft, Apple, Linux, RCA, Chevy, Ford, cauliflower, lima beans, Democrats, Republicans, etc ad nauseum. Every computer manufacturer has had "lemon" designs/phases, since Dell is the biggest people focus more on them. Hell, when you're pumping out that number of machines you're bound to have more potentially bad parts. Dell's systems are generally no better or no worse than anyone elses.
And remember, that is NOT a cup holder.......... :eusa_whistle:

Last edited:

If cost is the main consideration buy Asus. they are cheaper, and considerably less likely to have an issue out of the box.

I bought a Powerspec by Micro Center and I installed free ISP which was a really bad idea. I spent about two years trying to figure out what was wrong with it. The software did something to mess it up. The system registry kept resetting itself. I took it to a shop to get it fixed and all they did was take my money. I then was talking to a technician on the web in yahoo chat and he basically said he learned what he does by taking everything apart. I ended up doing the same. I ended up taking the coin battery out of the motherboard to reset it and the battery happened to have enough of a charge to get the computer working again. I had to play around with it a little.

Giving people service contracts are a bad idea because it fuels this notion that they can play with my computer and the computer doesn't have to come perfect.

The other issue is being proactive rather than reactive. No one cares as much about me than me so if computers is my hobby then why should I pay someone else to do what I'm good at?

Many years ago I was on vacation in one of these little northern states. I saw a mechanic with a car in the shop. He was so frustrated he was throwing wrenches at a car. You trust people with these computers and you don't know what they are doing.

It is kind of like this company that advertises heavily about fixing your heater. They put a camera in your heater to diagnose it. I looked them up on the Better Business Bureau's website and they have so many complaints against them. I imagine they are breaking heaters and then filming the evidence after to say it isn't them.

You have no idea.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. And people hate HP, Lenovo, Microsoft, Apple, Linux, RCA, Chevy, Ford, cauliflower, lima beans, Democrats, Republicans, etc ad nauseum. Every computer manufacturer has had "lemon" designs/phases, since Dell is the biggest people focus more on them. Hell, when you're pumping out that number of machines you're bound to have more potentially bad parts. Dell's systems are generally no better or no worse than anyone elses.

It isn't the hardware I am complaining about, it is their support. To be precise, it is their lack of customer support.

It isn't the hardware I am complaining about, it is their support. To be precise, it is their lack of customer support.
I have yet to find a computer manufacturer, let alone software developer, who offers more than mediocre support.

If the computer doesn't work right out of the box there is a problem.

Dell charges tech support. They help you for $200 to do what you can do yourself. Why do I need to pay for that? Symantec charges for virus removal. They tell you to put the Cd recovery disc in your computer and charge you $100+ for that. With help like that, who needs tech support?

I have yet to find a computer manufacturer, let alone software developer, who offers more than mediocre support.

Try Apple. Dell actually makes mediocre look great.

To spend 3 or 4 times that of a regular PC just to do word processing and get on the internet? No thanks.

The reason these are throw away computers is because that $1299 computer will be obsolete in two to three years. That is how the industry operates. I went to Micro Center and couldn't find any software for operating systems that weren't current. That is why it makes more sense to buy a computer for $329.99. I can get a better price there than I can from Newegg and Tigerdirect.

Won't buy an over priced, over hyped product just to experience somewhat better customer service so no, I won't be purchasing an Apple anytime soon which makes that argument moot.

Last edited:

To spend 3 or 4 times that of a regular PC just to do word processing and get on the internet? No thanks.

The reason these are throw away computers is because that $1299 computer will be obsolete in two to three years. That is how the industry operates. I went to Micro Center and couldn't find any software for operating systems that weren't current. That is why it makes more sense to buy a computer for $329.99. I can get a better price there than I can from Newegg and Tigerdirect.

Apple is where to go if you want customer service. Personally, I wouldn't own one if they gave them away, it is too hard to make them work the way I want.

Apple is where to go if you want customer service. Personally, I wouldn't own one if they gave them away, it is too hard to make them work the way I want.

I've only had to call Microsoft once. It is appropriate to call Microsoft because hardware manufacturers aren't in charge of Windows. Microsoft is one of the companies you could be calling for support. Do you have a contract with them?

I've only had to call Microsoft once. It is appropriate to call Microsoft because hardware manufacturers aren't in charge of Windows. Microsoft is one of the companies you could be calling for support. Do you have a contract with them?

Why would I have a contract to get support when most Windows problems are easily fixed with a system restore, and the ones that aren't are the ones where Microsoft is going to advise me to reinstall Windows anyway? That is the biggest advantage of Windows 8, you can reset Windows without reinstalling it.

Why would I have a contract to get support when most Windows problems are easily fixed with a system restore, and the ones that aren't are the ones where Microsoft is going to advise me to reinstall Windows anyway? That is the biggest advantage of Windows 8, you can reset Windows without reinstalling it.

Because system restore doesn't always work.
We had a problem where we had to use system restore twice.
Guys at work like free software so they installed a virus and it wouldn't let me install a virus checker. System restore was disabled as well. I am happy the lease was up so we could give that computer back.

I had a free Isp program damage my computer. The computer kept resetting the system registry where by the time I got done installing software, it would forget the installed software. Bet you've never had problems like that. Microsoft told me to contact my computer manufacturer but it wasn't the manufacturer's fault. It was software.

A Microsoft update at work took out our server. I.T. had to roll the updates back. When yoh have 80K invested in a server, paid support is not allowed on it. That is why there are I.T. guys. And when the boss is paying them, they aren't open to letting people play with it.

Because system restore doesn't always work.
We had a problem where we had to use system restore twice.
Guys at work like free software so they installed a virus and it wouldn't let me install a virus checker. System restore was disabled as well. I am happy the lease was up so we could give that computer back.

I had a free Isp program damage my computer. The computer kept resetting the system registry where by the time I got done installing software, it would forget the installed software. Bet you've never had problems like that. Microsoft told me to contact my computer manufacturer but it wasn't the manufacturer's fault. It was software.

A Microsoft update at work took out our server. I.T. had to roll the updates back. When yoh have 80K invested in a server, paid support is not allowed on it. That is why there are I.T. guys. And when the boss is paying them, they aren't open to letting people play with it.

Your IT department uninstalled an update? I have done that a few times, it is a function built into Windows.

Just got a call from the Dell guy. He will be here this afternoon to replace my hard drive. This is the second time they said they would mail a new hard drive and yet they have sent someone to replace it. Like I said I have never had a problem with Dell.

Forum List

Back