Need of some good piece of advice for buying a laptop

kritisharma

Rookie
Sep 5, 2018
I'm an architect and work on AutoCAD architecture software and also on Maya. Previously I was using a HP laptop with Intel Core i3 processor, 4GB RAM and 1TB HDD. But I'm not able to match up others working in the same field because of poor performance of my laptop. Could anyone please suggest me some good laptop to solve my problem. And also guide me through the configuration I should look in for.

I'm an architect and work on AutoCAD architecture software and also on Maya. Previously I was using an HP laptop with Intel Core i3 processor, 4GB RAM, and 1TB HDD. But I'm not able to match up others working in the same field because of poor performance of my laptop. Could anyone please suggest me some good laptop to solve my problem. And also guide me through the configuration I should look in for.

The laptop which you are using has a very low configuration. To work smoothly on such software you require at least Intel Core i5 processor with minimum 8GB RAM. The integrated graphics will work fine but if you can pay more go with discrete graphics. You can take a look at some of the options mentioned here

Best Laptop For Architecture 2018 (Top 10 Expert Picked)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0762S8PYM/?tag=ff0d01-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0764LNTCZ/?tag=ff0d01-20

1TB is good.

Your processor is obsolete, though. That's your problem. 4gb ram isn't bad, really

For faster working prefer SSD over HDD. If you do not want to store much data then go with 256GB SSD otherwise you can choose the hybrid drive that is a combination of SSD+HDD

Message of the day is you can't get an $800 laptop for $400.
You need a better processor and twice the RAM.
No one will ever need more than 640K of memory....... :eusa_whistle:

(Granted there is absolutely no proof Gates ever said that but it is funny......) :D

If you're working with maya and other 3d rendering software you probably also need to look at something with a dedicated gpu, at least 8gb ram, i5 and up processor and preferably an solid state drive. That should allow you to keep up with things for a good while and at least double if not triple the performance of you're current set up. If you could get something with an i7 that would be preferable but i5 should do fine for your workload. If you're not really sure what to get, try have a look at online buying guides like this :Laptop Buying Guides - LaptopNinja to make this most sense of the comparisons and price ranges.

Or other guides online. I'm sure you can find something specifically up to date with the current architecture needs as well

Forum List

Back