Navy SEAL advises Americans on whats best self defense/martial art to learn vs modern evil people

This Navy SEAL is advising Americans who want to learn the best self defense/martial art they can learn to protect themselves from the evil psychos in society today. He gives some excellent advice.....

Buy a gun. Train with a gun. Conceal your gun. Get good with your gun. Repeat repeat repeat repeat. And then.....if you want more....train in Brazilian jiujitsu. Then maybe some basic boxing.

Brazillian Jujitsu? It overemphasizes ground fighting. It plays well in MMA because there is only one opponent and set rules. If you're genuinely in a fight, you want to stay on your feet. As there may be more than one opponent and there aren't rules.

Your best defense in an actual fight is running or talking your way out of it. If you have to fight, boxing is excellent. Kicks are devastating when they connected, but proper distancing its one of the first things to go in pauses in training. Keep it simple.

Guns are far more likely to hurt you or your family than anyone else. Making them a losing proposition statistically in terms of safety. Feeling safe and being safe aren't the same thing. Guns tend toward the former rather than the later.

With all due respect, Skylar...I don't think your chances of "talking your way out of it" is going to be successful when your opponent is an evil psycho. Those ISIS terrorists who just burst into the front door of the public venue you're sitting in aren't there for a discussion...they are there to SLAUGHTER you! If you don't have a gun...it's not going to go well for you...just saying!

True enough. But the chances of an 'evil psycho' are pretty slim. Especially if you have some situational awareness and common sense.

Walking away, running away, talking your way out of a fight, or stalling until authorities arrive....are almost always the preferred options. Hurting someone badly is awful. And it should be the dead last resort. Not the preferred first option.

I think I see your point and it's valid. It's almost like saying what's the best military strategy to beat China and Russia in a hot war. And your answer would be to use diplomacy to avoid the war. And YES....that of course is the preferred option.

But sometimes it's just unavoidable.

And just two details....you said in real fighting there are no "submissions" like in jiujitsu or MMA. True in a way. Unless the guy being beaten by a ground fighter asks for mercy. Those submissions....if carried their end result....ends up in death, unconsciousness or a severely damaged body part. The "tapout" part is merely the sportsmanship part of stopping the domination before those outcomes occur.

Second....as a jiujitsu guy myself....we always hear it won't work in the street because the other guys have friends. Well....hey man....us jiujitsu guys have friends too haha!! Everyone thinks BJJ guys are always alone and lonely with no friends...sad.

I think you and I are on the same page. We both agree that some fights are unavoidable. And in a one on one fight, brazillian jujitsu is superb. You're absolutely right that most fights end up on the ground and the ground fighting techniques of that martial art are among the best. It provides an overwhelming advantage against someone who doesn't have the same training...which is almost everyone. If you're facing multiple opponents....ground fighting becomes problematic.

I think we also both agree that conflicts are rare and fights that you can't avoid are rarer still. With most conflicts being something you can talk your way out of, run from, or stall until more people arrive. My focus is on the most likely situations....and not hurting anyone.

Seeing someone who was once strong and vital trying to recover from a life changing injury.....and knowing you are the one that caused it is a horrible experience. Even if you were fully justified in defending yourself. So my goals may be different than yours. As I want to protect myself, but I also want to do as little harm to my opponent as possible. I'll choose to avoid the fight in virtually every circumstance.

In those rare, rare instances that I didn't avoid the conflict with situational awareness or common sense, can't run, can't disengage and can't talk my way out of it....you'll be more prepared than I will with BJJ. My training focuses on doing everything I can to make sure I never reach that situation again. And to do no harm.

This Navy SEAL is advising Americans who want to learn the best self defense/martial art they can learn to protect themselves from the evil psychos in society today. He gives some excellent advice.....

Buy a gun. Train with a gun. Conceal your gun. Get good with your gun. Repeat repeat repeat repeat. And then.....if you want more....train in Brazilian jiujitsu. Then maybe some basic boxing.

Brazillian Jujitsu? It overemphasizes ground fighting. It plays well in MMA because there is only one opponent and set rules. If you're genuinely in a fight, you want to stay on your feet. As there may be more than one opponent and there aren't rules.

Your best defense in an actual fight is running or talking your way out of it. If you have to fight, boxing is excellent. Kicks are devastating when they connected, but proper distancing its one of the first things to go in pauses in training. Keep it simple.

Guns are far more likely to hurt you or your family than anyone else. Making them a losing proposition statistically in terms of safety. Feeling safe and being safe aren't the same thing. Guns tend toward the former rather than the later.

With all due respect, Skylar...I don't think your chances of "talking your way out of it" is going to be successful when your opponent is an evil psycho. Those ISIS terrorists who just burst into the front door of the public venue you're sitting in aren't there for a discussion...they are there to SLAUGHTER you! If you don't have a gun...it's not going to go well for you...just saying!

True enough. But the chances of an 'evil psycho' are pretty slim. Especially if you have some situational awareness and common sense.

Walking away, running away, talking your way out of a fight, or stalling until authorities arrive....are almost always the preferred options. Hurting someone badly is awful. And it should be the dead last resort. Not the preferred first option.

I think I see your point and it's valid. It's almost like saying what's the best military strategy to beat China and Russia in a hot war. And your answer would be to use diplomacy to avoid the war. And YES....that of course is the preferred option.

And just two details....you said in real fighting there are no "submissions" like in jiujitsu or MMA. True in a way. Unless the guy being beaten by a ground fighter asks for mercy. Those submissions....if carried their end result....ends up in death, unconsciousness or a severely damaged body part. The "tapout" part is merely the sportsmanship part of stopping the domination before those outcomes occur.

Second....as a jiujitsu guy myself....we always hear it won't work in the street because the other guys have friends. Well....hey man....us jiujitsu guys have friends too haha!! Everyone thinks BJJ guys are always alone and lonely with no friends...sad.

I think you and I are on the same page. We both agree that some fights are unavoidable. And in a one on one fight, brazillian jujitsu is superb. You're absolutely right that most fights end up on the ground and the ground fighting techniques of that martial art are among the best. It provides an overwhelming advantage against someone who doesn't have the same training...which is almost everyone. If you're facing multiple opponents....ground fighting becomes problematic.

I think we also both agree that conflicts are rare and fights that you can't avoid are rarer still. With most conflicts being something you can talk your way out of, run from, or stall until more people arrive. My focus is on the most likely situations....and not hurting anyone.

Seeing someone who was once strong and vital trying to recover from a life changing injury.....and knowing you are the one that caused it is a horrible experience. Even if you were fully justified in defending yourself. So my goals may be different than yours. As I want to protect myself, but I also want to do as little harm to my opponent as possible. I'll choose to avoid the fight in virtually every circumstance.

In those rare, rare instances that I didn't avoid the conflict with situational awareness or common sense, can't run, can't disengage and can't talk my way out of it....you'll be more prepared than I will with BJJ. My training focuses on doing everything I can to make sure I never reach that situation again. And to do no harm.

You train to "do no harm"? Wow...all I can say to that, Skylar...is that I hope for your sake that you NEVER confront a truly evil person because they are going to hurt you and hurt you bad while you're worried about not harming them!

1. the Navy Seal did not tell the whole Truth and he knows it. Anyone with the training I am referring to knows it too. It does not take a whole lot of time to learn a few things that will end almost any fight almost immediately.

2. The best defense is to practice tactical awareness and avoid places you can get attacked in, but failing that calm the attacker. If he has a weapon and you cant disarm him without undue risk, then give him what he demands. Done use lethal force unless you have to. You will wish you had let him have that $250 and some credit cards you can put a stop on instead of killing the moron or getting some innocent person killed or maimed.

3. The best defense is a gun, usually, but close in I would rather have a knife. One swipe with a knife can live a mans insides on the floor with immediate death from disembowelment.

4. Navy Seals are tough, but so are a lot of other military units and they all have their own systems of physical combat. The US Marines have a system that is based on real world combat situations and daily practice, and I think that I would go with what they teach before I would go with an 'art'.

Once again, Skylar...I respectfully disagree with you. Hurting someone badly isn't "awful" when they seek to cause you or your loved ones bodily harm! If that is the case then your GOAL should be to hurt them badly! I'm getting the impression that you've never been in a street fight.

If you have no other choice, do what is necessary. I won't hesitate to defend myself or hurt someone else if there is no other option.

But there almost always is.

There is almost always a way to avoid the fight, to talk your way out of it, to run, to stall, to disengage. And in my estimation, this is almost always preferable to hurting someone. If you're rolling around on the ground, grappling with someone.....you've quite likely fucked up already, missing the opportunity to avoid the fight.

In my estimation BBJ isn't conducive to avoiding a fight. Its conducive to winning a fight and hurting your opponent. And in a real world setting, that's usually a failure.

In real world conditions, training that maximizing the chance to disengage and end a fight before it begins is better. Or barring that, ending the fight before anyone is hurt. I argue that I'll be able to avoid far more fights than you'll 'win' with BJJ. And any fight that is avoided, is won. As no one was hurt. Making training focused on disengagement better in real world conditions.

You train to "do no harm"? Wow...all I can say to that, Skylar...is that I hope for your sake that you NEVER confront a truly evil person because they are going to hurt you and hurt you bad while you're worried about not harming them!

Skylar is talking out of his ass again, and he lives in a fantasy world where people are all nice and no one ever needs to ever hurt anyone else.

I train to avoid fights. To put distance between my opponent and myself. To give myself an opportunity to run if I can. To talk through the situation if I can. To stall if I can. In short, to avoid having to hurt my opponent.

If I must, I can do some pretty awful things to people. But it is the dead last option. And I will avoid it in virtually every circumstance.

The situation you describe is exceedingly unlikely. The situation I describe, more likely. And I argue I'll be able to avoid far more fights than you'll be able to win. And that avoiding a fight is winning it.

Skylar is talking out of his ass again, and he lives in a fantasy world where people are all nice and no one ever needs to ever hurt anyone else.

I live in a world where people can be stupid. And letting them be stupid without hurting them or myself is preferable to hurting them.

If I have to eat a little shit verbally so some kid can look brave in front of his friends.....I'll do it if I can avoid hurting someone. If I can run, I'll do it. If can stall, I'll do it. As most fights can be avoided. And avoiding the fight is winning it.....as no one gets hurt.

Good points.

I train to avoid fights. To put distance between my opponent and myself. To give myself an opportunity to run if I can. To talk through the situation if I can. To stall if I can. In short, to avoid having to hurt my opponent.

If I must, I can do some pretty awful things to people. But it is the dead last option. And I will avoid it in virtually every circumstance.

The situation you describe is exceedingly unlikely. The situation I describe, more likely. And I argue I'll be able to avoid far more fights than you'll be able to win. And that avoiding a fight is winning it.

Let me be very blunt with you, Skylar...if you go into a fight with the mindset that you want to avoid hurting your opponent...then you are going to get hurt badly yourself. Street fights are nasty things. Do you know what "curbing" is? There are people out there that will do that to you if they knock you out in a street fight. You live in a fantasy world.

Let me be very blunt with you, Skylar...if you go into a fight with the mindset that you want to avoid hurting your opponent...then you are going to get hurt badly yourself.

Let me be blunt: if you go into a conflict not wanting to hurt your opponent, you're most likely going to avoid a fight.

Which is the point.

Let me be very blunt with you, Skylar...if you go into a fight with the mindset that you want to avoid hurting your opponent...then you are going to get hurt badly yourself.

Let me be blunt: if you go into a conflict not wanting to hurt your opponent, you're most likely going to avoid a fight.

Which is the point.

If you're going into a conflict then you obviously haven't avoided a fight! Have you ever been in a street fight?

Good points.
But those points do not rationalize being UNPREPARED. Sure it is unlikely you will have a fight forced on you that you cant talk your way out of, just like it is very unlikely that you will will have a flat tire in your car while commuting to work, but that doesnt mean you shouldnt learn how to change your damned tires.

1. the Navy Seal did not tell the whole Truth and he knows it. Anyone with the training I am referring to knows it too. It does not take a whole lot of time to learn a few things that will end almost any fight almost immediately.

2. The best defense is to practice tactical awareness and avoid places you can get attacked in, but failing that calm the attacker. If he has a weapon and you cant disarm him without undue risk, then give him what he demands. Done use lethal force unless you have to. You will wish you had let him have that $250 and some credit cards you can put a stop on instead of killing the moron or getting some innocent person killed or maimed.

3. The best defense is a gun, usually, but close in I would rather have a knife. One swipe with a knife can live a mans insides on the floor with immediate death from disembowelment.

4. Navy Seals are tough, but so are a lot of other military units and they all have their own systems of physical combat. The US Marines have a system that is based on real world combat situations and daily practice, and I think that I would go with what they teach before I would go with an 'art'.

A little lesson about *Real* serious self defense and what the Navy Seal did not mention; real combat oriented fighting.

What this Special Forces guy did would have had him lose through disqualification in any 'art' tournament, and so they dont teach that.

A little lesson about *Real* serious self defense and what the Navy Seal did not mention; real combat oriented fighting.

What this Special Forces guy did would have had him lose through disqualification in any 'art' tournament, and so they dont teach that.

So he poked him in the eye?? Thats not some secret black ops karate technique. Womens self defense teaches it. You say in a sport fight that would be a DQ. It would be a penalty yes. But if he went in standing tall like that with a hand extended.....any moderately skilled MMA fighter with a background in jiujitsu or wrestling would take him down.

The "no rules" fighting was also called Vale Tudo in Brazil and it too was often dominated by the sport fighters of jiujitsu and boxing. The biggest factor is the strength and conditioning of the sport fighters and their high level abilities in grappling & striking. These often overcome the supposedly "instant" fight ending techniques.

So he poked him in the eye?? Thats not some secret black ops karate technique. Womens self defense teaches it. You say in a sport fight that would be a DQ. It would be a penalty yes. But if he went in standing tall like that with a hand extended.....any moderately skilled MMA fighter with a background in jiujitsu or wrestling would take him down.

The "no rules" fighting was also called Vale Tudo in Brazil and it too was often dominated by the sport fighters of jiujitsu and boxing. The biggest factor is the strength and conditioning of the sport fighters and their high level abilities in grappling & striking. These often overcome the supposedly "instant" fight ending techniques.

The point is not a one trick technique to win all fights.

The point is that the 'arts' dont teach things that truly maim and/or kill your opponents for obvious reasons and they ban/penalize those techniques so that they are not practiced as well.

Just something to think about, but you sound like you know alot more about it than me, so this is my last post on this topic.

Which is the point.

Skylar is right about this. I still say it's smart to train hard in the proven effective styles...if nothing else but for fun, fitness and to compete a little if you're young enough. Learn how to be able to hurt someone if needed.

But ALWAYS try to avoid the fight, swallow your pride, walk away at all reasonable costs.

My opinion is the more trained and capable a person is to hurt their opponent...the easier it is to walk away. It feels like a child threatening an adult. Silly. No reason to fight or prove anything.

The point is not a one trick technique to win all fights.

The point is that the 'arts' dont teach things that truly maim and/or kill your opponents for obvious reasons and they ban/penalize those techniques so that they are not practiced as well.

Just something to think about, but you sound like you know alot more about it than me, so this is my last post on this topic.

I see....just have many tools. I agree there.

I'd disagree that the sport arts don't teach techniques that maim or kill. In jiujitsu....95% of submissions would end in death or a severe injury if carried to their conclusion. But of course opponents tap and it doesn't get that far. Muay thai is a brutal art. Knees and elbows. Can definitely injure or kill a person.

The other self defense techniques are things like a face scratch, eye poke, nut kick, bites, etc. Not deadly or necessarily a severe injury. Pulling ears yes. Eye gouging yes. Although I'd say trying them on a high level grappler is a horrible idea because their ability is gonna make it extremely difficult to get into that position or maintain it....and they're probably gonna break the arm the opponent tries it with. And high level boxers...probably won't get that close to them. These techniques are excellent self defense against a normal untrained human however.

Carrying a gun is a good thing, provided one is well-trained as to not only how but when to use it. Cops can get away with shooting someone defensively (or allegedly so) mainly because cops are required to take a defensive stand in combative situations. Civilians are not.

In most states, a civilian is permitted to use lethal force only if there is no opportunity to "retreat" to avoid violent confrontation. The only exception to this rule I am aware of is Florida because of its ground-breaking Stand Your Ground law.

So with that singular exception, a civilian who carries and uses a gun had better be ready to explain why he/she had absolutely no means of retreating from the threatening situation and there was no alternative but to use lethal force against a menacing aggressor.

Which is the point.

Skylar is right about this. I still say it's smart to train hard in the proven effective styles...if nothing else but for fun, fitness and to compete a little if you're young enough. Learn how to be able to hurt someone if needed.

But ALWAYS try to avoid the fight, swallow your pride, walk away at all reasonable costs.

My opinion is the more trained and capable a person is to hurt their opponent...the easier it is to walk away. It feels like a child threatening an adult. Silly. No reason to fight or prove anything.

Are we talking about conflict with truly "evil" people...like ISIS or a Ted Bundy...or are we talking about some stupid argument in a bar? Good luck "walking away" from truly evil people, Bucs! That Navy Seal isn't telling you to learn martial arts to protect yourself from a besotted buffoon in your local watering hole...he's telling you to learn martial arts to fight back against people that don't value human life at all.

Forum List

Back