Navy SEAL advises Americans on whats best self defense/martial art to learn vs modern evil people

Yeah he talks about that too. Hopefully if attacked with a knife...you have a gun haha. Unless you're a cop....they don't deserve that right....they need to wrestle the knife away.

But if you have limited training time liken 99% have....I agree with him. Get the gun thing done first. Then....learn to grapple and box. Then add other weapon stuff in later.

I would disagree with you.....if you were a kid...yes....grappling and boxing. As an adult...you are most likely to face a violent attack from a criminal over someone in a bar. The criminal will be more likely to be willing to seriously injure or kill you.....and if they have any kind of a weapon......a club or a knife, you are at a serious disadvantage. The knife is the second best weapon you can have.........anyone who tries to attack you faces serious injury...and it increases the ability of the smaller, weaker individual to injure or kill and attacker.......but driving them off is even more likely.

I had a friend in my FMA class.....he was walking through and alley...which he really knew he shouldn't have done...when he was confronted by 4 men....3 from behind and one in the front.....he pulled a small knife out of his pocket and held it against his leg...telling them he just wanted to go on his way.......he said he could tell they were escalating to an attack because they just wouldn't leave and they kept goading him.....then, one of them saw the knife....told the others....and they backed off.....allowing him to leave....

If he did not have the knife they would have beaten the crap out of him.....Chicago was experiencing crimes against businessmen...they were being beaten and robbed by a group of men at the time.....that stopped when they attacked a bicycle messenger who used his bike lock to beat them back....

I've been in a 3 to 1 confrontation. I'm strong, but not that strong. So I concentrated on the guy instigating the situation and told him that I'd probably go down....but I was taking his right eye with me. That everything I did was to take his eye. That he wouldn't leave the fight whole. He believed me.

After that, it became a lot of posturing and cursing. I walked out and not a single blow was thrown by anyone.

The best fight is the one you never have. You can avoid most with some situational awareness and common sense. You can talk your way out of most of the rest. You can run from more still. A fight you have to actually have to hurt someone in is a failure from the beginning.

You are correct about that. It's always best to avoid a street fight. Even if it means coming off as the punk or pussy in the eyes of others.

Like you....I've had a couple brushes with it in my younger days when I went out to bars more often. I avoided them basically by just stroking the other dudes ego. Telling him I don't want him to hurt me....apologizing....making him feel big in front of his friends. In my mind...I knew I could destroy the poor guy. But for what??? I went to Waffle House with a hot chick afterwards and had a good night instead of going to jail or worse.

Its a bitter pill to swallow. But really hurting someone else is awful. For both of you. If I have to eat a little shit verbally to protect some young kid who wants to look big in front of his friends, I'll do it.

And the Navy Seal may recommend brazillian jujitsu....but he's coming from the perspective of the professional warrior. He is sent into battle to hurt the enemies of his country. Not to avoid battle. So his emphasis will be on what can do the most damage to the enemy. Proactively and offensively.

In civilian life you're not looking for conflict nor are you sent in to hurt the enemy. Your priority is not getting hurt and doing as little harm to others as possible. As there can be many legal and personal consequences to hurting others. It makes far more sense to train in a style that emphasizes disengagement. As avoidance is by far the smartest way to handle fights in the real world.

It seems to me that you think that guns are different......everything you say about stepping back from the fight, choosing not to fight.....applies just as much to someone carrying a gun for self defense.....just because you have a gun it doesn't take away your ability to step back from the fight.......

When have I ever taken a position to the contrary?

This Navy SEAL is advising Americans who want to learn the best self defense/martial art they can learn to protect themselves from the evil psychos in society today. He gives some excellent advice.....

Buy a gun. Train with a gun. Conceal your gun. Get good with your gun. Repeat repeat repeat repeat. And then.....if you want more....train in Brazilian jiujitsu. Then maybe some basic boxing.

Brazillian Jujitsu? It overemphasizes ground fighting. It plays well in MMA because there is only one opponent and set rules. If you're genuinely in a fight, you want to stay on your feet. As there may be more than one opponent and there aren't rules.

Your best defense in an actual fight is running or talking your way out of it. If you have to fight, boxing is excellent. Kicks are devastating when they connected, but proper distancing its one of the first things to go in pauses in training. Keep it simple.

Guns are far more likely to hurt you or your family than anyone else. Making them a losing proposition statistically in terms of safety. Feeling safe and being safe aren't the same thing. Guns tend toward the former rather than the later.

Well....the SEAL disagrees.

I don't think you can over emphasize ground fighting. Most fights end up there. You're right about saying in a fight you don't want to end up on the ground. It's dangerous. But....if you can't outrun the threat guess what? You're probably ending up on the ground.

Yes....running away is the best option of course. But....do I really need to train that? If I'm at the track doing sprints and I say I'm practicing a self defense martial art....I'd sound silly.

I don't think you can over emphasize ground fighting. Most fights end up there.
the reason Bruce Lee learned Wrestling.....

This Navy SEAL is advising Americans who want to learn the best self defense/martial art they can learn to protect themselves from the evil psychos in society today. He gives some excellent advice.....

Buy a gun. Train with a gun. Conceal your gun. Get good with your gun. Repeat repeat repeat repeat. And then.....if you want more....train in Brazilian jiujitsu. Then maybe some basic boxing.

Brazillian Jujitsu? It overemphasizes ground fighting. It plays well in MMA because there is only one opponent and set rules. If you're genuinely in a fight, you want to stay on your feet. As there may be more than one opponent and there aren't rules.

Your best defense in an actual fight is running or talking your way out of it. If you have to fight, boxing is excellent. Kicks are devastating when they connected, but proper distancing its one of the first things to go in pauses in training. Keep it simple.

Guns are far more likely to hurt you or your family than anyone else. Making them a losing proposition statistically in terms of safety. Feeling safe and being safe aren't the same thing. Guns tend toward the former rather than the later.

I don't think you can over emphasize ground fighting. Most fights end up there. You're right about saying in a fight you don't want to end up on the ground. It's dangerous. But....if you can't outrun the threat guess what? You're probably ending up on the ground.

Yes....running away is the best option of course. But....do I really need to train that? If I'm at the track doing sprints and I say I'm practicing a self defense martial art....I'd sound silly.

Sure you can. This isn't MMA. There's no 'submission hold'. If you're facing more than one opponent and you try and demonstrate your 'ground game' on one of them, the other stomps your head in.

Worse, it grossly limits your options. Most fights can be avoided, talked around, ran from. Rolling around on the ground grossly limits your options. If you're using ground fighting....you've probably already fucked up repeatedly. You've likely missed opportunities to walk away, to disengage, to talk it out, to avoid the fight. And only double down on the very mistakes that lead you there in the first place.

Ground fighting is great in winning a fight against one opponent. Its generally worse than useless in preventing such fights, disengaging from them or dealing with more than one opponent at the same time.

Sure you can. This isn't MMA. There's no 'submission hold'. If you're facing more than one opponent and you try and demonstrate your 'ground game' on one of them, the other stomps your head in.

Worse, it grossly limits your options. Most fights can be avoided, talked around, ran from. Rolling around on the ground grossly limits your options. If you're using ground fighting....you've probably already fucked up repeatedly. You've likely missed opportunities to walk away, to disengage, to talk it out, to avoid the fight. And only double down on the very mistakes that lead you there in the first place.

Ground fighting is great in winning a fight against one opponent. Its generally worse than useless in preventing such fights, disengaging from them or dealing with more than one opponent at the same time.

im just quoting what Bruce Lee said....he said when he was a kid in Hong Kong and was practicing Wing Chung he got into a fight with a street fighter and his Kung Fu did not fare to well as the guy took them both to the ground and he said he did not know what to do because he claimed they did not teach any thing about grappling or how to defend against street fighters just against other kung foers....so he said he learned to box and wrestle and devised a system against street fighters who dont follow rules and will use whatever they can grab to use against you....hence ...Jeet Kune Do was born.....

im just quoting what Bruce Lee said....he said when he was a kid in Hong Kong and was practicing Wing Chung he got into a fight with a street fighter and his Kung Fu did not fare to well as the guy took them both to the ground and he said he did not know what to do because he claimed they did not teach any thing about grappling or how to defend against street fighters just against other kung foers....so he said he learned to box and wrestle and devised a system against street fighters who dont follow rules and will use whatever they can grab to use against you....hence ...Jeet Kune Do was born.....

I'm approaching this from a much more practical perspective. Most of us aren't professional fighters. The vast majority of folks studying martial arts are doing so for exercise or self defense. And in non-professional fighter world, your goal is to protect yourself and inflict as little damage to the other guy as possible. As there can be severe legal and personal consequences for hurting other people.

This makes avoidance of a fight the best resolution. Running, talking your way out of the fight, or otherwise disengaging. If you're a street fighter founding your own martial art......ground fighting is awesome. For every reason Bruce Lee described.

If you're not and you're just a normal person going out your daily life....ground fighting is already a bad outcome. As it means you've failed to disengage, failed to put some distance between you and your opponent, failed to avoid the fight. And if you're rolling on the ground, its far less likely you'll be able to do so.

I thought Navy Seals were anonymous warriors who engaged in secret missions. Are they going mainstream in marketing these days? It's clear that Seals are highly trained in offensive and defensive weapons and while I admire the endurance it takes to overcome hypothermia and become a Navy Seal I wonder how a typical Seal is qualified to advise America about self defense. Personally I trust a NRA instructor who has an understanding about both the legal ramifications and the technical side of defensive weapons than a steroid head former Navy Seal.

With all due respect, Skylar...I don't think your chances of "talking your way out of it" is going to be successful when your opponent is an evil psycho. Those ISIS terrorists who just burst into the front door of the public venue you're sitting in aren't there for a discussion...they are there to SLAUGHTER you! If you don't have a gun...it's not going to go well for you...just saying!

And the thing that will keep you safer than any martial art is simple awareness of your surroundings. Being alert to danger lets you avoid danger. Being oblivious makes you the perfect target.

With all due respect, Skylar...I don't think your chances of "talking your way out of it" is going to be successful when your opponent is an evil psycho. Those ISIS terrorists who just burst into the front door of the public venue you're sitting in aren't there for a discussion...they are there to SLAUGHTER you! If you don't have a gun...it's not going to go well for you...just saying!

True enough. But the chances of an 'evil psycho' are pretty slim. Especially if you have some situational awareness and common sense.

Walking away, running away, talking your way out of a fight, or stalling until authorities arrive....are almost always the preferred options. Hurting someone badly is awful. And it should be the dead last resort. Not the preferred first option.

And the thing that will keep you safer than any martial art is simple awareness of your surroundings. Being alert to danger lets you avoid danger. Being oblivious makes you the perfect target.

I agree completely. Awareness of your surroundings is your first, best defense.

True enough. But the chances of an 'evil psycho' are pretty slim. Especially if you have some situational awareness and common sense.

Walking away, running away, talking your way out of a fight, or stalling until authorities arrive....are almost always the preferred options. Hurting someone badly is awful. And it should be the dead last resort. Not the preferred first option.

I think I see your point and it's valid. It's almost like saying what's the best military strategy to beat China and Russia in a hot war. And your answer would be to use diplomacy to avoid the war. And YES....that of course is the preferred option.

But sometimes it's just unavoidable.

And just two details....you said in real fighting there are no "submissions" like in jiujitsu or MMA. True in a way. Unless the guy being beaten by a ground fighter asks for mercy. Those submissions....if carried their end result....ends up in death, unconsciousness or a severely damaged body part. The "tapout" part is merely the sportsmanship part of stopping the domination before those outcomes occur.

Second....as a jiujitsu guy myself....we always hear it won't work in the street because the other guys have friends. Well....hey man....us jiujitsu guys have friends too haha!! Everyone thinks BJJ guys are always alone and lonely with no friends...sad.

Well given you pulled that 'quote' sideways out of your ass, it shouldn't be hard for you to find the source.

Because its certainly not me.

Since I didn't actually list a quote and just said you and the other leftists want to disarm the country, I'd say you are talking out of your ass.

Oh, you'd be willing to let people keep a single shot .22, as long as it's registered with the state and you're a party member in good standing? So that doesn't mean you really want to disarm others.. :eusa_whistle:

You attributed to me a position I've never taken. And can't back it up with jack shit. You can't quote me ever saying that I want to get rid of guns.

You literally hallucinated it as part of your own imagination.

And now you're adding to your blunder by making up more nonsense. Do any of us even need to be here for these delusional conversations you seem to be having with yourself?

Yes......you never say you want to ban guns...but every post is about the worst behavior of gun owners...and you attack any fact or statistic that shows gun grabbers are wrong......and support laws that will do nothing to stop criminals or mass shooters...but will infringe on law abiding people.....

Excuse me...you are a gun grabber.

You need to know how to fight on the ground......it will help you learn to break holds and pins so you can get off the ground....

Women especially need to learn how to escape and fight from the ground....

When more than two people are involved, you are more likely to end up on the ground regardless of what you want. Real life isn't a movie.

I'm approaching this from a much more practical perspective. Most of us aren't professional fighters. The vast majority of folks studying martial arts are doing so for exercise or self defense. And in non-professional fighter world, your goal is to protect yourself and inflict as little damage to the other guy as possible. As there can be severe legal and personal consequences for hurting other people.

This makes avoidance of a fight the best resolution. Running, talking your way out of the fight, or otherwise disengaging. If you're a street fighter founding your own martial art......ground fighting is awesome. For every reason Bruce Lee described.

If you're not and you're just a normal person going out your daily life....ground fighting is already a bad outcome. As it means you've failed to disengage, failed to put some distance between you and your opponent, failed to avoid the fight. And if you're rolling on the ground, its far less likely you'll be able to do so.

And in the very likely event that you end up there some time or other, you are truly screwed if you have no idea what to do.

I thought Navy Seals were anonymous warriors who engaged in secret missions. Are they going mainstream in marketing these days? It's clear that Seals are highly trained in offensive and defensive weapons and while I admire the endurance it takes to overcome hypothermia and become a Navy Seal I wonder how a typical Seal is qualified to advise America about self defense. Personally I trust a NRA instructor who has an understanding about both the legal ramifications and the technical side of defensive weapons than a steroid head former Navy Seal.

"Steroid head"?

???

Once again, Skylar...I respectfully disagree with you. Hurting someone badly isn't "awful" when they seek to cause you or your loved ones bodily harm! If that is the case then your GOAL should be to hurt them badly! I'm getting the impression that you've never been in a street fight.

"Steroid head"?

???

Yeah I saw that too. These days anyone who has some muscular build is accused of being on steroids. It's sad. Hard work in the gym and a good diet doesn't equal roids.

You need to know how to fight on the ground......it will help you learn to break holds and pins so you can get off the ground....

Women especially need to learn how to escape and fight from the ground....

exactly.....you just may end up there....

Forum List

Back