Native American Activists Ramp Up Push To Rebrand Columbus Day

Portland Oregon, the newest to bend over and grab their ankles.

Portland joins Indigenous Peoples' Day movement

Portland officially joined a growing movement Wednesday by formally recognizing the second Monday in October as Indigenous Peoples' Day.

The City Council voted unanimously to approve the resolution. The second Monday in October is historically celebrated as Columbus Day, a federal holiday. But as of next Monday, Portland will celebrate the people who called the state home for centuries.

"I'm just really overwhelmed by this first step," said Se-Ah-Dom Edmo, a Native American and Portland Human Rights commissioner whose family is from Celilo Village in the Columbia River Gorge.

Advocates of Native Americans have pushed the movement for nearly four decades.

Portland officially joined a growing movement Wednesday by formally recognizing the second Monday in October as Indigenous Peoples' Day.

The City Council voted unanimously to approve the resolution. The second Monday in October is historically celebrated as Columbus Day, a federal holiday. But as of next Monday, Portland will celebrate the people who called the state home for centuries.

"I'm just really overwhelmed by this first step," said Se-Ah-Dom Edmo, a Native American and Portland Human Rights commissioner whose family is from Celilo Village in the Columbia River Gorge.

Oh good grief!

Celebrate Columbus is you wish, but the guy did not discover anything. He showed that sea travel was possible between Europe and the Americas. Perhaps that can be viewed as a discovery. He opened the Americas for slave trade, exploitation and pillage.
We have known since the 1970's archaeology finds that the Norsemen traveled and made settlement in North America long before Columbus. That means even the claims of Columbus discovering the new world for Europe is inaccurate.
But it was Columbus's voyage that opened the door to advancement in civilization in this hemisphere, tragedies notwithstanding.
Absolutely. For that he deserves credit. No doubt his deeds led to the development of the Americas. The issue is discovery. The claim of discovery indicates the societies. cultures and civilizations that were already here had no merit. Maybe it is all just a question of semantics or political correctness, but it seems to be important to some people.
No one ever disputed the significance of any existing cultures. But the progress resulting from advance civilizations landing here is unquestionable. The Indian bitchers like to deny that while conveniently taking advantage of those advancements. Hypocritical.
Let current Indians recreate their advanced-caveman culture on their reservations and live the life of the heritage that they insist was destroyed by europeans. I certainly won't interfere. But they don't get to use any electronic devices as a means to bitch or communicate in any way.
In fact we were less advanced than civilizations thousands of years older. We lacked literature, science, architecture, metallurgy, masonry, advanced inventions, vessels for international trade, all of which even the ancient Egyptians and Mesopotamians had. Our existence was violent, brutal, and pointless. Thank God the white man freed us!
What are you talking about? Who is 'us'?

Oh good grief!

This is what it's like living among Peter Pan's.

Celebrate Columbus is you wish, but the guy did not discover anything. He showed that sea travel was possible between Europe and the Americas. Perhaps that can be viewed as a discovery. He opened the Americas for slave trade, exploitation and pillage.
We have known since the 1970's archaeology finds that the Norsemen traveled and made settlement in North America long before Columbus. That means even the claims of Columbus discovering the new world for Europe is inaccurate.
But it was Columbus's voyage that opened the door to advancement in civilization in this hemisphere, tragedies notwithstanding.
Absolutely. For that he deserves credit. No doubt his deeds led to the development of the Americas. The issue is discovery. The claim of discovery indicates the societies. cultures and civilizations that were already here had no merit. Maybe it is all just a question of semantics or political correctness, but it seems to be important to some people.
No one ever disputed the significance of any existing cultures. But the progress resulting from advance civilizations landing here is unquestionable. The Indian bitchers like to deny that while conveniently taking advantage of those advancements. Hypocritical.
Let current Indians recreate their advanced-caveman culture on their reservations and live the life of the heritage that they insist was destroyed by europeans. I certainly won't interfere. But they don't get to use any electronic devices as a means to bitch or communicate in any way.
In fact we were less advanced than civilizations thousands of years older. We lacked literature, science, architecture, metallurgy, masonry, advanced inventions, vessels for international trade, all of which even the ancient Egyptians and Mesopotamians had. Our existence was violent, brutal, and pointless. Thank God the white man freed us!
Us. My people. Native American, Blackfoot tribe.

I'm a Native American. Southern Illinois and a maryland tribes.
I'm not an indigenous American but I'm a native American.
No one said anything about your culture being pointless. It just wasn't advanced as European culture. But you don't mind taking advantage of those advancements. Electronic media sure beats the hell out of the tomahawk text over the flaming-arrow internet.

I'm a Native American. Southern Illinois and a maryland tribes.
I'm not an indigenous American but I'm a native American.
No one said anything about your culture being pointless. It just wasn't advanced as European culture. But you don't mind taking advantage of those advancements. Electronic media sure beats the hell out of the tomahawk text over the flaming-arrow internet.
Relax big guy. It was me calling our existence pointless, no sarcasm intended. We never advanced in technology because we were busy killing each other in stupid territorial disputes. We were no more sophisticated than street gangs on an endless vendetta. Most of us never lived to see our grandchildren and while I'd love to have the tale of my glorious death in battle regaled around the campfire, I'd rather have a Ford Raptor, air conditioned house, hospitals, flush toilets, and Directv. Oh, and my smoking hot white wife and our four half breeds.

So now you understand what I mean when I say I worship the White Man and Western Civilization and am eternally grateful they intervened and dragged us kicking and screaming into modernity.

Gee, tomorrow will be Happy Columbus Butcher Day.

columbus%20day%20meme%201.jpg

Gee, tomorrow will be Happy Columbus Butcher Day.

columbus%20day%20meme%201.jpg
Say, why don't you Leftists come up with a holiday all your own that commemorates all your historical grievances at once. You can call it Bitterness Day and parade in the streets while moaning, holding up Hate Whitey signs, and reciting your rosary of lamentations over the megaphone.

What happened to Native Americans is the same thing that happened to every other culture over the last 2000 years that were confronted with a more aggressive or more technically advanced foe. They were conquered. I know that's not nice, but history and truth is inherently 'not nice'.

561a523d1400006f003c7f2e.jpeg

"The fact that America would honor this man is preposterous."

NEW YORK, Oct 9 (Reuters) - About four miles from the world's largest Christopher Columbus parade in midtown Manhattan on Monday, hundreds of Native Americans and their supporters will hold a sunrise prayer circle to honor ancestors who were slain or driven from their land.

The ceremony will begin the final day of a weekend "powwow" on Randall's Island in New York's East River, an event that features traditional dancing, story-telling and art.

The Redhawk Native American Arts Council's powwow is both a celebration of Native American culture and an unmistakable counterpoint to the parade, which many detractors say honors a man who symbolizes centuries of oppression of aboriginal people by Europeans.

Organizers hope to call attention to issues of social and economic injustice that have dogged Native Americans since Christopher Columbus led his path-finding expedition to the "New World" in 1492.

The powwow has been held for the past 20 years but never on Columbus Day. It is part of a drive by Native Americans and their supporters throughout the country, who are trying to rebrand Columbus Day as a holiday that honors indigenous people, rather than their European conquerors. Their efforts have been successful in several U.S. cities this year.

"The fact that America would honor this man is preposterous," said Cliff Matias, lead organizer of the powwow and a lifelong Brooklyn resident who claims blood ties with Latin America's Taino and Kichwa nations. "It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever."

More: Native American Activists Ramp Up Push To Rebrand Columbus Day

Why would America honor such a man? It's like celebrating genocide. Columbus Day is not a happy day for Native Americans.

Native American Genocide
A pow wow? LOL. It's time for these people to quit playing indian, grow up and join civilized society. We celebrate Christopher. Columbus because he discovered the Americas. If so-called "Native Americans" don't like it, they can go back to where they came from.

Asia.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back