Naomi Osaka was ‘shocked’ by lack of paid maternity leave in US

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras

“When I heard the stats, I was really shocked,” Osaka said of the US, which is one of the few countries in the world not to have a national paid parental leave policy. “I’m lucky enough to not have to go straight into work, but I really needed that time to process everything that’s happened and, of course, get to know my baby.

It seems strange to me that there is no provision for this.Obviously Osaka can make her own decisions on this but most women cant.

Abortion is a live issue in the US but you do not provide even basic proviion for new mothers,It seems like an imbalance.

I do wonder if other social issues are caused by this level of brutalist politics. Industrial policy leading to a dislocation in family life.

Perhaps if there was more provision for families more people would have families and less people would have abortions anyway ?

Is that unreasonable ?

“When I heard the stats, I was really shocked,” Osaka said of the US, which is one of the few countries in the world not to have a national paid parental leave policy. “I’m lucky enough to not have to go straight into work, but I really needed that time to process everything that’s happened and, of course, get to know my baby.

It seems strange to me that there is no provision for this.Obviously Osaka can make her own decisions on this but most women cant.

Abortion is a live issue in the US but you do not provide even basic proviion for new mothers,It seems like an imbalance.

I do wonder if other social issues are caused by this level of brutalist politics. Industrial policy leading to a dislocation in family life.

Perhaps if there was more provision for families more people would have families and less people would have abortions anyway ?

Is that unreasonable ?

Biden's America.

Is that unreasonable ?
Maternity leave would be covered under FMLA. Whether or not you get paid depends on the employer and how much vacation/personal time you have available to use. While I would be fine with some benefits, the reality is that most of the advocates demand an unrealistic amount of time. Six weeks, fine. Six months, no freaking way.

Maternity leave would be covered under FMLA. Whether or not you get paid depends on the employer and how much vacation/personal time you have available to use. While I would be fine with some benefits, the reality is that most of the advocates demand an unrealistic amount of time. Six weeks, fine. Six months, no freaking way.

OP hates America.

It just needs to grow a pair and say so.

You get a mix of leave over here. Some company and some statutory. Its not great but its better than nothing.
Its better in Europe I believe.

Unfortunately, this person never learned anything about how the American government works. Of course, that is understandable since the entire Left Wing of the U.S. has the same problem.

The United States government DOES NOT HAVE THE POWER UNDER THE U.S. CONSTITUTION to require private sector employers to provide a paid benefit to their employees. In fact, the U.S. government cannot even compel the states or local governments to do this. It is not in Article I of the Constitution, so it is a choice that is reserved to the States and the private sector.

The decision of whether to provide paid parental leave is a significant part of the "contract" between employers and employees, especially female employees of child-bearing age. If you are such a human, then you need to sort that out, in advance, for yourself before you agree to go to work for an employer. It will simply not do to go to work for it and THEN demand this costly, counterproductive benefit. It would be akin to the Government telling home builders that henceforth they will have to provide an outside gazebo with every house they build...but they can't charge extra for it.

For the Government to step into this private matter and demand of the employer that it pay for - I don't know - 4-6 months of NOTHING just because the said Government thinks it would be a good idea, well, that fails the logic test.

Other countries don't have a Constitution like ours. Their governments, in many cases, can tell private employers to do whatever the fuck they want them to do, and those employers have no recourse. But the people in such countries often don't have free speech or freedom of the Press, the right to bear arms, the right to be free from police searches without probable cause, or the right to "due process" when accused of a crime, or when their government wants to take something from them (e.g. eminent domain). All in all, our system works better - no question about it.

If paid parental leave is a priority to you, go work for someone who provides that benefit, and leave everyone else alone.

This kerfuffle is raised by a marginally-balanced tennis professional, which is kind of bizarre. Did Serena get paid leave when she popped her kids? I think not.

Is that unreasonable ?
The unwarranted opposition to maternity leave and daycare assistance is yet another example of failed Republican policy.

Unfortunately, this person never learned anything about how the American government works. Of course, that is understandable since the entire Left Wing of the U.S. has the same problem.

The United States government DOES NOT HAVE THE POWER UNDER THE U.S. CONSTITUTION to require private sector employers to provide a paid benefit to their employees. In fact, the U.S. government cannot even compel the states or local governments to do this. It is not in Article I of the Constitution, so it is a choice that is reserved to the States and the private sector.

The decision of whether to provide paid parental leave is a significant part of the "contract" between employers and employees, especially female employees of child-bearing age. If you are such a human, then you need to sort that out, in advance, for yourself before you agree to go to work for an employer. It will simply not do to go to work for it and THEN demand this costly, counterproductive benefit. It would be akin to the Government telling home builders that henceforth they will have to provide an outside gazebo with every house they build...but they can't charge extra for it.

For the Government to step into this private matter and demand of the employer that it pay for - I don't know - 4-6 months of NOTHING just because the said Government thinks it would be a good idea, well, that fails the logic test.

Other countries don't have a Constitution like ours. Their governments, in many cases, can tell private employers to do whatever the fuck they want them to do, and those employers have no recourse. But the people in such countries often don't have free speech or freedom of the Press, the right to bear arms, the right to be free from police searches without probable cause, or the right to "due process" when accused of a crime, or when their government wants to take something from them (e.g. eminent domain). All in all, our system works better - no question about it.

If paid parental leave is a priority to you, go work for someone who provides that benefit, and leave everyone else alone.

This kerfuffle is raised by a marginally-balanced tennis professional, which is kind of bizarre. Did Serena get paid leave when she popped her kids? I think not.
It just seems like you can find an excuse for not providing civilsed benefits.
Of course the govt could provide an example to the private sector and work with the private sector to introduce benefits for the public good.
But the right would have to stop hating women first.

Forum List

Back