My neighbor is home, under hospice care death watch. Why do we do this?

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
This good man lived his 74 years with dignity, but is now in and out of consciousness, no grasp of reality and no hope of recovery. He came home 3 days ago because the family couldn't visit him in the hospital. They thought he would go quickly but he isn't. So now what? Why do we do this? Why is there no option for termination of life in hopeless end of life situations? His wife is flipping out, his daughter who I will be helping out with the Mom, is at her wits end. The Grand kids are freaking out. This is just a nightmare.

This good man lived his 74 years with dignity, but is now in and out of consciousness, no grasp of reality and no hope of recovery. He came home 3 days ago because the family couldn't visit him in the hospital. They thought he would go quickly but he isn't. So now what? Why do we do this? Why is there no option for termination of life in hopeless end of life situations? His wife is flipping out, his daughter who I will be helping out with the Mom, is at her wits end. The Grand kids are freaking out. This is just a nightmare.

If he is in Hospice care the family has control over whatever meds he is on. I helped my mom pass when she was no longer with us.

If he is in Hospice care the family has control over whatever meds he is on. I helped my mom pass when she was no longer with us.

As I understand it, control over the meds means you can help them not be in pain. Can you help them end their life sooner?

yep, dying sucks. sorry for the stress on the family but how else sholuld it be done?Some things just suck and there isn othing you can do about it. hospice makes the transition as easy as it can be but still not a fun time.

Rather than put my poor frail, 87 year old dad on life support in the hospital for a few weeks/months of meaningless life, we brought him home, with hospice care and he passed quickly. But that was right before Covid-19 started making news.

As I understand it, control over the meds means you can help them not be in pain. Can you help them end their life sooner?
Depends on which State one resides in as to whether or not the patient or their designated responsible person can "assist" in ending the patients suffering. That said there are those who are more than willing to "assist" but they must be extremely careful how that assistance is done.

Have the family check with Palliative care through Hospice. One thing they will do is provide medication but by law have to tell the family not to give the patient all the medication at once.......... If somehow the patient received all the medication by accident..........

Final Exit Network

Rather than put my poor frail, 87 year old dad on life support in the hospital for a few weeks/months of meaningless life, we brought him home, with hospice care and he passed quickly. But that was right before Covid-19 started making news.

Both of my folks died at home with hospice care. It's so much kinder for them to be home instead of institutionalized. But it's a lot of work.

My half sister was sent to home hospice care to die. I called her. She couldn't speak but I got to see her hooked up to tubes and machines. Her husband was crying so hard he couldn't talk. We all said our good byes. She was removed from the ventillator. Then she got better. The hospice care agency came and removed all their tubes, machines and bed. No one knows how she got better. Her doctor said it was as if a switch had been flipped. One second she was unable to breathe. The next second she was breathing normally.

Yup - Just keep giving max dose of morphine & death will happen sooner.

It has always seemed rather odd and backwards to me that we won't do for people what we'll do for our animals. That is put them out of their misery and suffering. And we call it humanity. NOT!

My half sister was sent to home hospice care to die. I called her. She couldn't speak but I got to see her hooked up to tubes and machines. Her husband was crying so hard he couldn't talk. We all said our good byes. She was removed from the ventillator. Then she got better. The hospice care agency came and removed all their tubes, machines and bed. No one knows how she got better. Her doctor said it was as if a switch had been flipped. One second she was unable to breathe. The next second she was breathing normally.

That's wonderful...and why we don't just kill people because they are on hospice care.

That's wonderful...and why we don't just kill people because they are on hospice care.
Why can't we allow them to die a painless death if they wish it, asshole?

Go away, nasty person.

Last edited:

Because it never ends with because they wish it. It ends the way it has gone in the Netherlands where three people held down a woman fighting for her life, just to kill her. It ends with teen aged girls stamping their feet yelling "I'd rather die than wear this" being taken away to do just that. Humanely of course.

I'm glad there was a 'miracle' recovery for your half sister. I don't know what her condition was, but I'm guessing it wasn't advanced brain cancer. There are conditions that we know with certainty there will be no miracle.

yep, dying sucks. sorry for the stress on the family but how else sholuld it be done?Some things just suck and there isn othing you can do about it. hospice makes the transition as easy as it can be but still not a fun time.
A shot of something that will humanely end the suffering of the patient. I realize that can quickly turn into a slippery slope of who get's what and when, but that can be mitigated with a review of the patient's condition by 3 doctors all of whom have to sign off.

I'm glad there was a 'miracle' recovery for your half sister. I don't know what her condition was, but I'm guessing it wasn't advanced brain cancer. There are conditions that we know with certainty there will be no miracle.
Emphysema. That was 11 years ago.

My dearest friend died of brain cancer. It was a horrible end for a brilliant attorney. She gave me her power of attorney for heath care. I did not let her be murdered.

A shot of something that will humanely end the suffering of the patient. I realize that can quickly turn into a slippery slope of who get's what and when, but that can be mitigated with a review of the patient's condition by 3 doctors all of whom have to sign off.
Not good enough. Eventually it devolves into murder. Always. In every country that thinks itself humane.

Forum List

Back